Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose frozen in river

Default Moose frozen in river

Today, I went out looking for moose sheds. I snowshoed around the willow patches for a few hrs and came up empty handed. Then I took a ride up the river and low and behold there is a moose antler sticking up in the middle of the river! I thought wow, that's kind of odd how it managed to freeze into the ice at such an angle. Nevertheless, it was a cool find. Then I realized I didn't have my trusty hatchet because my new snogo has no storage room under the hood - crap. Being an antler nut I couldn't just leave my newly found frozen treasure to the porcupines so I rode 5 miles back to a cabin (public) and borrowed an axe to get the job done.

I carefully chopped down to the base of the antler and there's a bunch of hair - hmmm - not normal for a shed antler. Well crap, it's still attached to the head and I can barely make out the other antler which was frozen under like 3 feet of ice! I have reason to believe the poor guy fell through the ice and couldn't get out. I got one antler and I guess a lucky spring bear might get the washed up carcass. Pretty interesting find. He was in the 50" class.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more pics

a few more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a cool find! I could imagine cruising back to camp at night and nailing that with the snowmachine... Ouch!

Remindes me of Dell Gue , buried up to his neck, in the movie "Jeramiha Johnson", telling Johnson to "hurry up, Im apon a Fine Horse!" ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Interesting find! Any chance you can go set up next to that and watch it for bears in late April or early May?

Heck with that, I'd be watching that thing like a hawk, for predators, NOW!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Wow!

That is way cool!! Thanks for sharing that on with us.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Nice find! Been there before, hauling a head through the ice is a challenge.

That baby is frozen in many many feet of ice - the predaotrs will have to wait unless they know how to run a Stihl! This place is pretty much only accessible by snogo and the trails are rottten by the time bears emerge from their den. Something, sometime, will consume that carcass. Thanks.

Hey atleast you didn't home empty handed, and you got a story to tell for a long time about that horn. Nice find!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great pics, thanks. Thats a giant wolf stabber on his right side. Would be cool to see if he just fell through or lost a fight late in the fall rut.
    Found one in the river a few years back in late October that was completely out of fat and had large bruises on his body from head to rear. He was 61', so I would have liked to see the fella that beat him up.
    Again, great find!

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Amazing pictures and story, thanks for sharing. Mother nature, again showing just how cruel she can be.

Ralph

great story...even better with the proof.

Back in the early 80's I was trapping by dog team along an Interior River. Regularly drove by this spot where fox were always digging in the river ice. Finally investigated and found the same thing you did.............dead moose.
    Spent most of a whole day chipping and sawing the ice around it and then tied on and used the dogs to pull it out. I think I had trouble getting the last leg out and cut, chopped it off. It ended up being useful for a trapper with a dog team.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Dang MT - I thought it was a pain chopping out one antler!

We found one in the Talkeetna River a few years back..only upside down...all four feet sticking about a foot above the ice.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'd imagine come break up, he won't be in that spot for very long. Tough way to go for sure.

jpost,

Actually I have seen them dig up moose out of many feet of ice. All it takes is one little exposed area and they will dig and chew at it until it's no longer there. With the skull partially exposed, all it takes is for the birds to find it and they will be allover it if you left it exposed but who am I to argue.......Tell me where its at, I'll go trap it! (kidding) .

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    That baby is frozen in many many feet of ice - the predaotrs will have to wait unless they know how to run a Stihl! This place is pretty much only accessible by snogo and the trails are rottten by the time bears emerge from their den. Something, sometime, will consume that carcass. Thanks.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Call SFW!!!

Have them put in for an unlimited season on ICE!

Well, that's just 'bout as depressing as seein' a live moose ridin' the ice, durin' breakup, on the Yukon...

Ever use a chainsaw on ice? They work well. Lots of potential there. Saw out to recover the other antler and/or just expose a whole bunch of head/body whatever and then trap/call on it. Get a little meat and hair exposed and and scattered about and the scavs will find it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast