Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08 Powder?

Default 7mm-08 Powder?

I recently bought my first ever 7mm-08. I have discovered that there is a vast contrast in what powder is best from manual to manual. 120 grain bullets are what I plan to shoot so what powder would you recommend based on your experiences?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I recently bought my first ever 7mm-08. I have discovered that there is a vast contrast in what powder is best from manual to manual. 120 grain bullets are what I plan to shoot so what powder would you recommend based on your experiences?
    I wood never use a 120 grain bullet in a 7mm-08, lessen, I war shootin at Ground Hawgs, or sumpthin like thet.

Since a 7mm-08 is similar to a 7x57, I suspect that H414/W760 would be a good powder to use for it too. It's a Ball Pwdr, so it should measure accurately. You probably, should use Mag. primers for ball powder.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The speer 145gr hotcore and grand slam bullet look very good for a 7mm-08 for most hunting though the 150gr partition or Auccubond would be my choice for elk/moose in the 7mm-08.

Default ammo

send me a pm I have some ammo and brass for it if you are interested by the way 140 sierra's are what I used to load

Default varget

I like varget, in the 7mm 08. I am not at home so cant give the loads but accuracy is good.

120 grain bullets are what I plan to shoot so what powder would you recommend based on your experiences?
    I like RL-15 and 120gr TSX's in my 7mm-08. I get about 3050fps with this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I wood never use a 120 grain bullet in a 7mm-08, lessen, I war shootin at Ground Hawgs, or sumpthin like thet.
    Oh, dare's nuttin' to be askeered of, Smitty.

Actually, the 120gr TSX is a wicked little pill. I shot this varmint with a 120gr TSX out of my 7mm-08 this past fall. He didn't like it much.....no sir, not much at all.

There's another post around these parts (link) of a proud dad and the moose his young daughter shot with a 7mm-08 this season. With the right bullet, a 7mm-08 is good stuff!

Default moose

Dan my daughter has a 7mm08 and killed her first moose with it, I loaded up some 175 grn bullets for the hunt.
    The 120s would have been better in terms of recoil. how was penetration and overall performance?

The overall bullet performance was perfect - the moose is dead.

The moose was standing behind some alders, and all I had was a broad-side, high shoulder shot. I stood on a fallen tree and raised up on my tip-toes to get as high as possible for the shot. The first bullet passed through both shoulder blades, clipped the spine, and stopped just inside the hide on the far shoulder. The moose dropped instantly. I approached from behind and put another shot behind the shoulder to speed up the process.

We found the first bullet while skinning the animal. The second bullet was found in the neck meat, a few days later, when we were butchering & packaging the meat.

Here are both recovered 120gr TSX's. They look pretty, don't they?

Here's a link to my original post and the rest of the hunting story: link

I like the Sierra bullets for this caliber also. I also agree with Smitty of the North, unless you are going to varmint hunt a 120 gr. bullet is on the small side for my liking. I shoot a 120 gr. bullet in a 7-30 Waters handgun, but all my 7mm rifles shoot 140 gr. or larger bullets. The Sierra 140gr. #1905 is a good bullet for deer sized game. They also don't break the bank when you need more.

Since a 7mm-08 is similar to a 7x57, I suspect that H414/W760 would be a good powder to use for it too. It's a Ball Pwdr, so it should measure accurately. You probably, should use Mag. primers for ball powder.

Smitty of the North
    I dunno Smitty, Over the years I have blasted a lot deer with lesser stuff. Never had one git away when shot with my 243/85-100 grainers. I'm thinking I'm upin in power by leaps and bounds. Mind ya, I do pick my shots. I can't recall the last time I took anything other than a open broadside shot at the vitals. I'm apt to kill a coyote or three with this gun too and that has at least something to do with why I went with 120 grainers.

Default 120s

Those Barnes are hard to beat! Im with smitty I like something bigger, but these new bullets are changing things some. Would have never believed a 120 7mm bullet would have penetrated like that on a high shoulder shot! Thanks!

Thumbs up 7mm-08

AHHHH is there one rifle as versitile as the mighy 7mm-08 w/ little recoil, great bullistics, BC, sectional density, & just an all great caliber ??? Might I add w/ a short action, light weight, & be the only gun you need to buy for your son/daughter or that special someone in your life......I have killed everything from bagers to moose to griz w/ my 7mm-08's... B&C bucks, B&C black bears, bull elk @ 550 yards, griz @ 21 feet..

Great all around powders are Varget & win 760. But I will admit the R-17 does a nice too. Bullets, wellllll I've killed quit afew critters w/ the speer GS 145 & swift 150 scirocco.

My dad always told me it isn't all that energy that kills them critters its that hole you put through their heart. I finally believe him owning some magnums that I really don't use much.

One CAN NOT go wrong w/ the mighty little 7mm-08

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I dunno Smitty, Over the years I have blasted a lot deer with lesser stuff. Never had one git away when shot with my 243/85-100 grainers. I'm thinking I'm upin in power by leaps and bounds. Mind ya, I do pick my shots. I can't recall the last time I took anything other than a open broadside shot at the vitals. I'm apt to kill a coyote or three with this gun too and that has at least something to do with why I went with 120 grainers.
    I'm sure it would work fine for your purposes.

It's just that a 120 grain bullet in 7mm, is light for caliber, which generally speaking, means less BC, SD, potential for penetration, and maybe not much improvement in trajectory. ??? Over, say a 140 or 150 grain. Up thisaway, I'd use at least a 160 grain.

I made an offhand remark, based on my own perception of what kind of bullet is acceptable. I like heavy for caliber bullets.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'm sure it would work fine for your purposes.

It's just that a 120 grain bullet in 7mm, is light for caliber, which generally speaking, means less BC, SD, potential for penetration, and maybe not much improvement in trajectory. ??? Over, say a 140 or 150 grain. Up thisaway, I'd use at least a 160 grain.

I made an offhand remark, based on my own perception of what kind of bullet is acceptable. I like heavy for caliber bullets.

Smitty of the North
    Your right Smitty. You prompted me to look a little harder at the bigger bullets. The Speer 139btsp will out perform the 120 Hornady in all areas. I think I'll order some. Thanks for the heads up!

Default RL 19 a good powder

I use RL 19 for my 7mm-08 with 160 gr Accubonds

Default 120 gr tsx

Wife & I had good results using 120gr TSXs w/ 47 gr of H4350 / about 2940 fps
    Both the moose & muledeer were one shot & drops with it.
    Might consider going upto 140gr but only if hunting a heavly wooded area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AK 040.jpg   mount 004.jpg  

Nice moose!

Default Powder

Lots of love for the 7mm-08 here as well! I have 4 of them at the moment. Got 3 boys who will be hunting before too long. H414 has been an excellent powder for all of them. I use the 140 TSX for my all around hunting but wouldn't hesitate to use the 120gr TSX either. My 7mm-08 just shoots better with the 140's so I have stuck with them. Wouldn't think twice about shooting moose with the 7mm-08.

I didn't mention it in my original post but was kind of looking for one powder that would work well in my 243, 7mm-08 and 338 Federal. Looks like I'm down to H414 or Varget! I have lots of loading to do for each so will probably get an 8lb keg.

For those three calibers I would choose Varget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast