Thread: Something to stop sliding around the fishing deck?

Default Something to stop sliding around the fishing deck?

I know this isn'ta true mod question, but i did slide all over the fishing deck last year and want to know what all of you have done to stop that. I was thinking of trying to find the mesh like rubber mats and custom fit them for the fish hold, etc.. So let me here what other (hopefully better) ideas are out there.. I am looking for a cheaper fix, since momma is already mad about all the other high $$ changes i am going to make this year. Thanks

David

Get a pair of Xtra Tuff boots. Problem solved.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

http://seadek.com/

I called them up and they sent me some free samples, I think I'm going to give it a try. It'll be about $125 for my boat.

Default I'd caution the mats

the best cure i've ever seen is self stick nonskid strips you can get at auto parts stores ,Harbor freight and such.
    unless the serface is convoluted already or has a texture molded into it ,the strips work very nicely. any mat that just lays can just move as easily when wet.
    another perminant fix is resin and sand but you need to be some what skilled with the resin. Perminant fixes are a thinnner serface and easy to wash down, mats have to be handled and the deck cleaned any way.
    glueing down a marine grade carpet is my best choice, It feels good on the feet in the summer and does a farely nice job of non skid in the winter. And your wife might like it better too. something to lay out on in the sun.

The floor of my boat was sprayed at alaska auto armour. Its a very good and durable surface. Easy to clean also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Arctic mirage..

So what was the cost of that? I had thought about applying some form of rhino lining type rpoduct to give it a better gripping surface. Joat, i'd rather not buy boots for my whole family and all my friends to wear, but thanks for the idea...lol

David

Default Mats full of gurry

A problem with the interlocking mats (I bought a bunch and they are back in the box) is that they don't clear of gurry very well with the deckhose.

Extra Tuffs are a WAY good first answer, amazing traction in all things marine, including ice

These other ideas I think are better than mats

If you want some mats PM me i can sell you some, they may work in cleaner area than commercial boat

Quote Originally Posted by MDwhatleys View Post
    Joat, i'd rather not buy boots for my whole family and all my friends to wear
    Don't you have to wear boots anyway? Doesn't everyone else also need to wear boots? At about $90 a pair, they are cheaper than most boots and they are designed for use on a boat deck. And they work.

In addition to the right footwear, I'd stick with something proven like Zolatone rather than putting some automotive bed protectant on there. Nightmarish stories of what happens to the aluminum under those kinds of coatings. It can ruin a boat. Zolatone is designed for boats, looks great, and gives you the needed traction. Don't reinvent the wheel.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Mirage View Post
    The floor of my boat was sprayed at alaska auto armour. Its a very good and durable surface. Easy to clean also.
    How much was it, what are your boat's dimensions, how thick was the coating, can you use any color you wish, how much weight did it add to the vessel and will it fade or is it UV protected? I posted a thread on Scorpion Bedliners for this very reason. I was directed to this solution from the folks at Phantom and learned the coating is only 1/8" thick compared to 1/4" for the others and very durable. I called out to a dealer in Wasilla but didn't receive a return call yet. I'll most likely be ordering a few kits to do the project myself after Alaska Airboats completes the aluminum fabrication the next few months on my Sport Jon.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Go to lowes, pick up a quart of rustoleum marine paint, grey looks good for decks, and a can of their non skid, which is just sand.

I haven't had any problems sliding on my fishing deck, and the paint/sand will be under $20. It does take a week for the paint to fully dry, but it doesn't give off the nasty vapors that the two part epoxy I used.

I'd thought about using dry deck for my deck, but it is expensive, and I know I'd end up with fish guts and scales stuck in the crevises.

Another option is the sticky backed non-slip tape. You don't have to fully cover the deck, just put down strips. It'll be the fastest to go down, and when/if the grip wears out, just remove and replace.

Default Another boot/shoe option

Check out this link:
    http://www.shoesforcrews.com/

They have a knee boot in their repertoire. We use their footwear at work on wet, soapy, oily hangar floors. The Shoes for Crews footwear is incredible in that they do NOT slip. In fact they are the only thing we have used that provides exceptional footing on dangerously slick surfaces.
    Because of their siping and small tread pattern they do tend to hold mud and small rocks. If you are going from a good dock or launch system into the boat and out again they'll work great. If you are going to do a bunch of beach exploring, then go with the X-tra Tuffs or similar.
    As a side note, even though we are talking boating which is a summer time activity, the SFC do not work well on the snow as it to packs into the tread.
    Just a thought on good footwear, and no, I do not hold stock or get commission.
    ARR

I had Auto Armor in Anchorage on Old Seward spray the front bow of my Jetcraft about 5 years ago. It looked great but started to peal off from the edges. I tried to get them to respray it as its suppose to be guaranteed but he back peddled on me for marine use. I had to use gorrilla glue on the edges to keep it down in 2 spots. As far as good traction and deadening the noise with chain and anchor it did a good job. Cost me 400 bucks for a front bow. They have several different textures and colors to choose from. If you do it, get in writing his guarantee on his work including marine use and not his word.

Default Dura Coat

Polar Supply sells a Dura Product that sticks very well, is rolled on and not a super thick coat, has small small chunks of rubber in it for non skid. I rolled some on my old rusty tail gate 6 years ago as a test and it's still there.
    Clean surface very good, roll on on a day it's raining out side or high humidity cures that way. Undercover if raining of course!
    $80 a gallon 3 gallons covered a 6' X 50' house deck