Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby info on uhf, dinghy, radar etc.

Default Newby info on uhf, dinghy, radar etc.

Hi, everyone. 15 year river-rat new to the ocean boating experience and to the Forum. This is my first attempt at utilizing this medium so please bear with me. I just purchased a 24' Hewescraft Pac Cruiser and am preparing to outfit it with...radar/gps/plotter, dinghy, survival suits, handheld uhf, canopy over the back, potpuller/pots, and downriggers. I would appreciate any and all input in the matter before I purchase these items. What to buy and what to stay away from. Thank you in advance for your advice/input.

Quote Originally Posted by babyhewey View Post
    Hi, everyone. 15 year river-rat new to the ocean boating experience and to the Forum. This is my first attempt at utilizing this medium so please bear with me. I just purchased a 24' Hewescraft Pac Cruiser and am preparing to outfit it with...radar/gps/plotter, dinghy, survival suits, handheld uhf, canopy over the back, potpuller/pots, and downriggers. I would appreciate any and all input in the matter before I purchase these items. What to buy and what to stay away from. Thank you in advance for your advice/input.
    I can help in the pot/puller depts, please check out my website and when your ready give me a email or call. I'll also be a all the outdoors shows this spring. Lots of folks on this site will tell ya about my gear.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

My guess is you'd get more responses if you broke out some of these subjects--downriggers, for example--in separate threads. Also, it would be helpful if you could provide some info on your budget, and any particular features you're looking for.

I'm also rigging out a new boat, if you're in Alaska, the first thing you're going to want to install is a heater ; it'll extend your fishing season by at least two months total a year.

I just purchased a Espar Airtronic D4 and even though I havent installed it yet it looks like it's built like a tank - I'm very happy with it, its about the best bang for your buck heater wise.

The other thing you're going to want to spend a bit of money on is a chartplotter, the bigger the screen the better. I purchased a Northstar M121 12 inch screen, its got a GPS, radar interface, sounder/fishfinder, fuel computer, autopilot interface, and a bunch of other features that I'll probably never use.
    I bought that particular model as its also the best bang for your buck and it can interface with the new BR24 broadband radars.

Then comes your windlass, I'm a fan of the Lewmar 1000 freefall windlass. I'll be anchoring in some really deep areas from time to time and screwing around with a ring and buoy is a pain in the butt.

The two last MUST HAVE items is a console mount AND a backup handheld VHF radio.

I also STRONGLY recommend you get a GPIRB - which is a GPS enabled emergency beacon.

Then you'll need the usual safety stuff (survival suits, flotation vests, etc)
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Stand alone electronics (chart, depth, radar), are great in the event one quits working you don't lose them all.

Ditch bag, to go along with your survival suits

Biggest anchor and monster chain you can get helps you sleep good when camping on it.

Extra set of bearings, hub, and lights for your trailer.

Kicker, to guard against the main engine failing.

Downrigger's -purchase after you have tried the diver's. Downrigger's are expensive and is something you might not use. I have downrigger's on my Sea Sport and never use them, I have great luck with the diver's.

Don't forget your flare/safety stuff (up to date) and all your safety equipment, stuff is expensive!
    (Boat check at West Marine in the spring -CG will climb all over your boat, tell you what you need, then you can walk into the store and get it all on the spot.)

Slush fund of money for gas and launch fees.

Default Standalones, ditchbags and epirbs oh my!

Wow! Great input. I am not sure what a ditch bag for the survival gear is? I had never considered getting the standalone electronics in case the unit goes out. I am considering the Garmin 5208. Anyone have any input on this unit? Oh, and by the way I changed my boat order to a 26' Alaskan Hardtop Hewescraft (from 24' Pac Cruiser). Any particular brand on the handheld UHF's and a good website for them? Thanks again for all the input!!!! Also, I have a "SPOT" gps unit, if you are familiar with these safety devices. Is there a reason to also get an epirb?

Default DITCHBAG -Survival gear

DITCHBAG; You lost power, swept into the rocks, your boat capsized in the surf, etc, etc, basicly you survived but your boat or all your stuff didn't. Now, you are on the beach or a drift in your life raft -WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU HAD IN YOUR HAND RIGHT NOW???

A "FLOATING" DITCHBAG WITH SURVIVAL STUFF IN IT OF COURSE.

Wow! Great input. I am not sure what a ditch bag for the survival gear is? I had never considered getting the standalone electronics in case the unit goes out. I am considering the Garmin 5208. Anyone have any input on this unit? Oh, and by the way I changed my boat order to a 26' Alaskan Hardtop Hewescraft (from 24' Pac Cruiser). Any particular brand on the handheld UHF's and a good website for them? Thanks again for all the input!!!! Also, I have a "SPOT" gps unit, if you are familiar with these safety devices. Is there a reason to also get an epirb?
    PM sent in Ditch Bag

You'd be amazed how much you can spend on those items, so come up with a budget and prioritize.

My first year out we had fixed vhf, handheadld vhf, combo gps/sonar, and handheald gps. The hanhealds go in the ditch bag along with space blankets, fire starter and first aid kit. Keep the ditch bag handy, it's easy to burry it in a storage compartment, and will be useless if you can't quickly grab it.

I got survival suits on e-bay and craigslist. Speaking of which I need to see about getting a few more small adult suits for the boys, as I think they've outgrown the kid sized ones. New survival suits are $300-500, used go for $100-150.

I went with one of the costco air-floor dingies. Not a bad boat for ~$800, and they were clearing them out last summer for $399! The first year we had no dinghy, so would bring the boat to shore, and push it out and pull the anchor off the deck. That works ok on some anchorages, but the dinghy is much more versatile.

I tried handpulling shrimp pots, it sucks +p. A buddy let me borrow his pot puller last year, so I'm sold on a puller. If you plan to drop all 5 pots in one string, and weight the pots to get them down quickly to 500-600', then you'll have to spend some $ for a real puller.

I've never seemed to figure out trolling, mooching works well enough for me, and I have divers if I want to give it a try. Downriggers would be the last thing I'd get.

On my list of improvements this year is a good sonar unit, and a good pot puller.

Thanks Paul H. Also Chico99654 sent me an extensive ditchbag list which I really appreciate. He suggested I keep it on a caribeener and keep it handy as well. I emailed Steve at alaskashrimppots today as well but have not heard back as of yet. I understand he deals in E-dynes. Is this the top of the line? Any input on the brand that Dewey's sells? I think they are called Acers??? Will I need an E-dyne to do what Paul H outlined in his reply? My budget is on the high end.
    Myer, I like the idea of a big anchor, what weight would you recommend and what size chain? I can buy a new one and use the standard one from Dewey's as a backup. Thanks fellas!

Also, I have a "SPOT" gps unit, if you are familiar with these safety devices. Is there a reason to also get an epirb?
    Check on the SPOT coverage in Alaska. The coverage or lack there of in Alaska has been talked about in this forum.

Another option to an EPIRB is the PLB, Personal Locator Beacon, which serves the same function as an EPIRB for emergency notification on the COSPAS-SARSAT international satellite system. This is what we carry on our boat. I went with a PLB because we are camping and exploring on shore for the bulk of the time on our boating trips. a PLB is desinged to be carried with you.

IMHO, I would have more faith in an EPIRB or a PLB in an emergergency situation over the Spot devices.

Doug

Good suggestions from Chico and AKExplore-

A ditch bag can save your life.

A PLB is more versatile than an EPIRB. The PLB is registered to the individual (and can be carried on land as well on a boat) but the EPIRB is registered to (and mounted on a specific boat).

Also regarding Paul H's comments on pot pullers - you state that your budget is on the high end. By all means wait for Steve the Potbuilder to respond to your inquiry about potpullers before you buy anything - you won't be disappointed with his products (puller, pots, bait, etc).

There is a Chapmans book you need to study. West Marine carries it. I have it and it's full of info on boating.

Hi babyhewey,

Are you going to have an anchor windlass? If so, the gypsy on it will dictate what type of chain. My windlass is a Simpson Lawrence 600, predecessor model to the current Lewmar 700. It uses 1/4" G4 (high test) chain, and 1/2" rope. I'd suggest 40 feet of chain and at least 300 feet of rope, spliced together if you have a windlass.

Our primary anchor is a 7.5kg (16 lb) Bruce, and we've spent hundreds of nights at anchor in SE AK and BC without a problem, but if I were doing it over I'd get a 10 kg Rocna, or maybe a Manson Supreme. Both are supposed to be really terrific. We have a Fortress (Danforth type) as backup.

For handheld VHF, you might consider Standard Horizon HX751, their latest floating waterproof handheld. I have a much older non-floating non-waterproof one, and have decided that's not good enough, so I've been doing a lot of research, and settled on the HX751.

I'd agree with an earlier poster, get a good fixed-mount unit for your main radio, and especially a good antenna and the very best carefully-done cable connection. This is your lifeline to other boaters, weather info, and the Coast Guard.

Pretty exciting stuff, setting up your first ocean boat!
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

The only two pullers I'd consider are Steve's e-dyne or the large safe-t-puller. You'll be looking at upwards of $1500, but you won't be burning out the motor after a few pulls. Some folks run the lighter duty pullers and run 2 pots on one shot and 3 on the other or 2, 2 and 1. The thing is if you're dropping deep you'll have at least $100 in each shot of line of buoy, not to mention the extra time to pull multiple strings. I'd rather drop all 5 pots at one go, have 800' of line to make up for tides and drifting, and a strong enough puller to not have any problems with weighted pots or added drag of a mud bottom.

For an anchor I'd recomend a 10kg bruce or clone, 25-30' of 1/4" chain and 600' of 1/2" line. Also a backup 7.5 or 10kg danforth with a similar rode, though you could get by with a 250-300' line as I can't see having to anchor deep in emergency situations. I also carry a 10# mushroom anchor for the "aleut" anchor where you push the boat from shore and pull the anchor off the deck. It's enough to keep the boat from moving around in protected waters, and won't hang up when you reel the boat and anchor back to shore. It also makes a good anchor for a dinghy.

Get a coyp of the Lethcoe guide for Prince William Sound. Even if you don't boat out in the sound, the information in the first 1/2 of the book about boating in AK is worth the price of the book.

Go with what the guy's have recommended for anchor set-up or a bit bigger if it all fits.

Two double's and one single for shrimp pots vs all five on one string, that would be a lot to lose all at once. My brother-in-law lost one pot last year, it just hooked on something and "snap"!

Ace puller works great, (leave your main engine running in neutral when pulling pots) it pulls fast enough to control your line and small enough to store easy, fastens on your downrigger mount. You don't need a puller for a trawler sized boat.

Thanks Paul H. Also Chico99654 sent me an extensive ditchbag list which I really appreciate. He suggested I keep it on a caribeener and keep it handy as well. I emailed Steve at alaskashrimppots today as well but have not heard back as of yet. I understand he deals in E-dynes. Is this the top of the line? Any input on the brand that Dewey's sells? I think they are called Acers??? Will I need an E-dyne to do what Paul H outlined in his reply? My budget is on the high end.
    Myer, I like the idea of a big anchor, what weight would you recommend and what size chain? I can buy a new one and use the standard one from Dewey's as a backup. Thanks fellas!
    BH
    Did i reply to your email?? sometimes i get bogged down and forget to reply so let me know and any questions please feel free to call or email. By the way its possible to set up your rig to use the electra dyne to also haul your anchor so you can save a few bucks by not buying a windless. Do get a big bruce style anchor and plenty of chain.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Hewey,

The good thing about all the extras is that it makes the boat purchase look cheep!

All kidding aside, use the seach function specifically on this 'Power boating' forum. Many of the topics you are talking about have been covered in greater depth that you are going to see on this generalized thread. I know the dingy topic has been covered several time (Gary Kings is my favorite) as have handheld VHF's (I like Icom's floatable one) and marine chartplotters (Garmin's charts are great in AK, but furuno has a better fish finder). Many other topics are covered as well. It's a fun time outfitting the boat.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the garmin 5208 and GMR 18HD radar. Anyone have any reason why I shouldn't? Anyone have a better suggestion than having AM&D install it? Also looking to pull the trigger on the Alaska Series Tender 8'10". Any negative input?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the garmin 5208 and GMR 18HD radar. Anyone have any reason why I shouldn't? Anyone have a better suggestion than having AM&D install it? Also looking to pull the trigger on the Alaska Series Tender 8'10". Any negative input?
    I'd give a lot of thought about a radar, i've been commercial fishing Copper River flats & PWS since '91 and i bet i can count on both hands how many times i've REALLY needed my radar, i wouldn't buy another radar but i sure would give a Iron Mike(autopilot) some thought.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast