Thread: Float hunting the Charley river.

Default Float hunting the Charley river.

Has anyone ever hunted the Charley river for moose. Myself and a couple other people are seriously considering a float hunt down to Circle. We are all very experienced western big game hunters and would like to know how this river is. Are there a lot of people that hunt this area? Are there a lot of moose? Are the options for other game? Black Bear? Caribou? Wolf? Any things that we really should know that would make this hunt better. Any and all info would be greatly apprciated.

There are better rivers, The Chariey has been LOW, LOW, LOW the last few years. The upper part is shallow and rocky. Once you get lower you will have jetboat traffic. If I remember correctly 40 mile air would not even fly folks in there last year. Call 40 mile air and ask them what they think. Moose densities have been on the low side, lots of predators. If you do go small inflatable canoes would be the way to go, like a pro pioneer.
    A great book for your research would be Float Hunting Alaska’s Wild Rivers by Michael Strahan. Worth every penny, Mike owns this site and is a hunt planner. I highly recommend both his book and his services, both would be money well spent. Alaska as big as it is, has very complex regulations and land ownership issues. Having some local knowledge is a very valuable resource.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=400

Steve

fiveptbill,

Recently received both the moose and wolf mgmt reports from Yukon Charley Preserve. Both moose and wolf densities are among the lowest in the state. I'm in 25B on north side of the Yukon and that's what I'm seeing here too.

Charley is perhaps the prettiest most majestic river I've ever been on, just a lot of differing country all together there on that float. So I will say it has that going for it. Some class III stuff, nothing real major imo. As Steve said, river level really determines a lot, and you never know that til a week beforehand. Rains bring it up quickly.

If you want to hunt Fortymile caribou, which could be in that area, you can't possess that permit at same time as moose permit, so I don't think you'd be able to hunt both moose and caribou at the same time. There are black bears, have never floated from the Charley to Circle and not seen at least one black bear swimming the Yukon.

Just finishing up reading Michael's book. Great read. He has given info on 50 different rivers in this book and the Charley is one of them. Like others said conditions change constantly but it would give you a idea what to expect. I would recommend buying his book.
    Cheers
    Olin

Default Charley ??

I have done the charlie in 2008 and am doing it again this fall water levels permitting. But i do not consider it a great float for a moose hunt. Several concerns but the 2 biggest concerns are low water on the upper end and if you take a animal the amount of dragging to get it out. It is far from high moose density, and the lower end gets jet boat hunted. It is a long float, 2 weeks to circle would be minimum if you were really wanting to hunt it right. Caribou numbers seemed good. I really enjoyed the river as it is a beautiful place with not much traffic, grayling fishing and camping trip is why im going back. Also i wouldnt plan this trip if i wasnt from alaska and could either go to plan b if the water levels are to low. Its alot of expense to take off time, gear up, fly to alaska, then hang out with nothing to do cause the water is too low to float it. We have a plan b river in case we cant get on the charley. This is a sheep camp trip no wall tents, stoves, coolers, etc.etc. To shallow to risk the weight. If you got the time, the gear, and dont judge the succes of your hunt by taking a moose then its a great trip. Pm me if you need more info.

Thumbs up Charlie River

What a piece of history Charle River and Wood River was One of the best places to hunt back in the 50's.......not anymore!

I am headed into the Charley river area in the Fall of 2012. Saw your post and thought I should ask how your hunt went. Did you find decent numbers of sheep in the area?
    Tight lines-

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    There are better rivers, The Chariey has been LOW, LOW, LOW the last few years. The upper part is shallow and rocky. Once you get lower you will have jetboat traffic. If I remember correctly 40 mile air would not even fly folks in there last year. Call 40 mile air and ask them what they think. Moose densities have been on the low side, lots of predators. If you do go small inflatable canoes would be the way to go, like a pro pioneer.
    A great book for your research would be Float Hunting Alaska’s Wild Rivers by Michael Strahan. Worth every penny, Mike owns this site and is a hunt planner. I highly recommend both his book and his services, both would be money well spent. Alaska as big as it is, has very complex regulations and land ownership issues. Having some local knowledge is a very valuable resource.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=400

Steve
    Steve.. are you aware of any good reading on the Charlie and surrounding waters.. ? Just seems like interesting country.. I am also interested in the country between the Charlie, and the Taylor.. and the headwaters of the Joseph/Charlie..(huge area I know..)

The Charlie sounds like a great float in spite of low water, and low moose density. Low even this Fall?..

Was that you that made the you tube vid on the Kotz?... Great vid... I had a friend that taught school up in Kiana and her friends offered me to come up and catch moose out of there, but I never made it.. seems like great country.

anyone else with Charlie stories please add them if you feel like it...

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    Steve.. are you aware of any good reading on the Charlie and surrounding waters.. ? Just seems like interesting country.. I am also interested in the country between the Charlie, and the Taylor.. and the headwaters of the Joseph/Charlie..(huge area I know..)

The Charlie sounds like a great float in spite of low water, and low moose density. Low even this Fall?..

Was that you that made the you tube vid on the Kotz?... Great vid... I had a friend that taught school up in Kiana and her friends offered me to come up and catch moose out of there, but I never made it.. seems like great country.

anyone else with Charlie stories please add them if you feel like it...
    I did make a video of my Moose hunt out of Kotz,, one of the best floats I have ever done.

While the 40 Mile area is huge, access to it is mostly by plane. That area has a huge amount of predators, I saw 13 different bears on a hunt near the headwaters of the Charlie river. Big Moose, for sure just not one behind every tree.

I heard that the Charlie had decent water this fall from the heavy rain the area had this summer and late fall, but each year is different.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I did make a video of my Moose hunt out of Kotz,, one of the best floats I have ever done.

While the 40 Mile area is huge, access to it is mostly by plane. That area has a huge amount of predators, I saw 13 different bears on a hunt near the headwaters of the Charlie river. Big Moose, for sure just not one behind every tree.

I heard that the Charlie had decent water this fall from the heavy rain the area had this summer and late fall, but each year is different.
    Great job on the Kotz vid.. ... that looked like a great hunt. I've watched that quite a few times.

Yea, predators are the issue in 40 mile. i guess the highest numbers of game in that area were in the days of market hunters.. when every valley and drainage had a guy or two working it, and killing off the predators. .. interesting how that balances out.

the area above Tustamena lake used to be an amazing trophy moose area. It was pick your trophy bull if you drew the tag. I hiked up to that ridge two years ago and could not find a single moose. From one ridge I camped on I could count 9 black bear at one time.

Have you read Alaska wolf man.. story of Frank Glasser?.. amazing read.. Interesting to hear his perspective on wolf populations moving into certain areas.. starting around 1930??.. the area around his trapping cabin going from an occasional wolf sighting to large packs.. great book. Interesting that when he built his last trapping cabin (late 20's early 30's).. there were almost no wolves..

Might check out Larry Bartlett's forum (pristineventures.com), he and others did a caribou hunt on the Charley this August and he has a ton of pics and info on it. For Fortymile caribou it was pretty good there this season.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Might check out Larry Bartlett's forum (pristineventures.com), he and others did a caribou hunt on the Charley this August and he has a ton of pics and info on it. For Fortymile caribou it was pretty good there this season.

perfect.. will check that out for sure.. always appreciate those that take the time to take some pictures.. I can never make myself do it.

hey guys, can inform you on the charley, don't consider it for moose or sheep IMO. But pics from that trip are located here within the Big Rig packraft discussion.

http://www.pristineventures.com/foru....html?start=80

If you want details on how we planned and executed the trip, visit this thread on the Great Alaska Caribou Expedition 2011

http://www.pristineventures.com/foru...ition2011.html

cheers,

larry