Thread: stupid people on snow go's

Default stupid people on snow go's

I was out at flat horn yesterday and I have never been so PO'ed at stupid people. I have tip up with huge flags that can be seen for a long distance and I had three of them taken out by snow machines. I was always taught to go around people not right thought them at a high rate of speed. One person even stopped; I pointed out one of the tips ups that was right in front of him or her and they waved and ran right over it. I'm just glad that I left the beavers dams at home. The fishing was so so two pike nothing big.

Seems deliberate to me and not some oversight. Maybe they thought you were fishing their holes?

Regardless, that was awful.

They were not fishing, they were just out riding. They looked like kid, but it is hard to tell with helmets on. Next time i'm going to have to set out ballards out or soemthing.

Did you get their tag # off of their sled? Not sure you could do much aboout it but if you Knew who it was at least you could try to educate them over the phone. These inconsiderate people get to me too.
    I often Snomachine to my ice fishing spots and when it gets slow will sometimes ride around the lake for fun or to find old holes to try later.
    I find it hard to believe people cannot see tip-ups. And yes it is crazy that they would ride around where you are fishing.
    When I am riding around I park a good 100' away and walk closer to talk to someone all the while being mindful of rods or tipups in the area. I always try to avoid others as much as possible.
    People who wonder how the old time Alaskans could shoot first and ask questions later never had to deal with these kinds of people.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Do they make a version of the police spikestrips that would work on snowmachines? (just Kidding)

I wish they did, I'd have a surprise for the numskulls that kept running up and down my subdivision road from 3am- 4:30am this morning.....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I wish they did, I'd have a surprise for the numskulls that kept running up and down my subdivision road from 3am- 4:30am this morning.....
    home built flame thrower.......has about a 50 ft. reach....just expensive though.

I use those orange 4 foot small diameter stakes found at Lowes. With the reflector tape they have near the top it also helps to find your traps at night when fishing Burbot etc.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

the thing is I have no problem with people out having fun on the snow go ect. The only thing that I have a problem with is that I went though 3 tip-ups yesterday, due to people in my mind being stupid. If you see 5 guys out there sitting on the ice, there is a chance they are fishing. They are more then likely tip up fishing and where you see a mount of snow probley has a tip up on it. I was able to salvage two of the three to make one, but im still out 2 tip ups. All of my tips ups are blaze orange with big flags. It just amazes me that someone can hit them.

good chance they didn't know what they were and I am sure that they did it on purpose. Probably thought that they were just flags of some sort, to bad you couldn't stop and educate them! I would have had no idea what a tip up was when I was a kid, I wouldn't have run them over though especially not with people nearby.

I would have liked to talk to them and tell them was a holes they were. They would take off a lot faster then my 92 tundra would go. If I had a faster machine I would have tried to talk to them.

Back when I was a kid the ice fishermen would pile up snow and pour water onto the mound all through the day and make it super hard. Hit a couple of those and you started being really careful where you rode
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Back when I was a kid the ice fishermen would pile up snow and pour water onto the mound all through the day and make it super hard. Hit a couple of those and you started being really careful where you rode
    That would be a good way to learn a lesson. Rep if I can.

Snowmachiners (and I, myself have four) are going to have to learn some self control or we will lose out on a great many areas of this state in the future. Alaska is changing, but common courtesy never has.

A bunch of fence wire laid out on the ground works good, gets all wrapped up in the track and is a pain to get out. Works for noisy quad and dirt bikers as well.
    A concrete block in front of your tip up works well too.

The ice mound idea sounds good.

Default Careful!!!

Proceed with extreme caution when you start talking about putting out wires and concrete blocks with the intent of causing harm to snowmachiners. There may be a jail cell with your name on it if you succeed in wrecking a snowmachine and putting a kid in the hospital, into a wheelchair for life, or into the morgue.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Snow go's

just remenber not every one on a snow go is a """ dum as& """ there will be a few no matter where you go or what you do, if you don't think so stand on the bridge in Eagle river in the AM an see all the cars coming into Anchorage most all will have a good driver behind the wheel but a small percentage will do every thing rong an mess it up so do you lable all drivers bad drivers NO just a few an like wise for the SNOW GO's just a few will mess it up so don't lable all the snow go's as a bunch of "" DUM A&S ""

I am in no way Insuating that we do things to that would result in people getting hurt. And Like most Alaska Icefisherman I own a few Snowmachines myself.That is the primary mode of transportation when I go icefishing.
    I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to protect ones gear.
    I do like the cinder block idea and the one to use stakes painted orange on top to mark your gear.. Would be a pain to haul all that extra stuff though.
    Making frozen mounds of snow is just asking for trouble. Unlike the stakes or blocks they would not be so easy to remove.
    I still can't see how a person could run over several tip-ups and not realize they had hit something.
    I think the people doing this are also putting their health and safety at risk. If they can't see a tip-up who knows what else they might run over or into.
    Then again my cousin once hit a pickup truck with her dogsled when the guy parked across the trail. Of course she saw the truck but had trouble getting the sled to turn around the front of his truck.