Thread: Berger bullets

Default Berger bullets

Any of you use Berger Bullets to hunt with? I have noticed that you hear a lot about the accuracy of a Berger Bullet, but little about them as a hunting bullet. I do not know much about them as I have never shot any of them. I have a 6mm that is very accurate and am thinking of trying them in it. I only use it as a varmitt gun. Has anyone used these in hunting in any caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Any of you use Berger Bullets to hunt with? I have noticed that you hear a lot about the accuracy of a Berger Bullet, but little about them as a hunting bullet. I do not know much about them as I have never shot any of them. I have a 6mm that is very accurate and am thinking of trying them in it. I only use it as a varmitt gun. Has anyone used these in hunting in any caliber?

I've been invited to a White Tail lease in Texas super bowl weekend. I'm taking my 20" 308 loaded with 175gr VLD hunting bullets. If I get one I'll post pics of the entrance and exit holes for your review.

That bullet has proven great accuracy in my 308Win and 300RUM. I placed a call to Berger recently and they're nearing a finished product and a release of a 338 VLD Hunting bullet and load manual.

I've used Berger VLDs on deer and had excellent success. The 6.5 240 VLD shot through a doe's shoulders and then completely through a second doe's rib cage while fully expanded. I'd say that is excellent performance, both were DRT. The muzzle velocity was about 2760 fps and the range was about 175 yards. I've not used them on bigger game, but at the appropriate velocity I suspect they would perform fine. As for varmints, hitting is the key and I doubt the varmints will know the difference in the bullet you use.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I've been invited to a White Tail lease in Texas super bowl weekend. I'm taking my 20" 308 loaded with 175gr VLD hunting bullets. If I get one I'll post pics of the entrance and exit holes for your review.
    Sorry for the hijack but I felt a response was needed to my previous post.

Well I'm embarrassed to say but I missed, plane and simple. I sat a blind Saturday morning and had 13 bucks within 120 yards during the morning ambush, two were really nice!

I was only authorized to harvest a doe. I ranged one at 920 yards and watched her for about 30 minutes. She came down a trail that crossed a road at 434 yards and I sent one her way. Dust flew at her front left hoof and into the brush she went.

I'm still pissed about the shot. I checked my zero at their range upon arrival, the rifle was dead on, my bad all the way. I will go back and pay the fee to hunt in the fall. $1750 will get 2 does and a cull buck, the outfitter provides the tags. It's only a 10 hour drive from my front door. Children can hunt for a lower fee, ask for Tommy. The hunt is all inclusive, lodging, food, quartering and transportation from and to the Midland, TX airport.

This place was sweet and loaded with nice bucks. These are not hand raised high fence deer. They manage the low fence land and let the good bucks grow to 130 plus before allowing anyone to harvest. The camp was first rate and the cook did a great job.

http://www.t4outfitters.com/ranch.htm

This place has 10880 acres and 17 blinds. Spot and stalk is available if you choose. I was looking for an easy kill with limited time and choose a blind to sit and wait.