Thread: Truck radio?

Default Truck radio?

what truck radio does everyone run? VHF or UHF or CB? any particular brands favored? im going with a kenwood or motorola VHF here in the next few weeks. what do most of the truckers run on the haul road. does anyone know? im not much of a fan of cb's. gotta "tweak" them to get a good range right? i dont know much about truck radios lol...

great topic! I am in the market too, I have the F250 pwrstrk and it needs a radio! I am also curious what type of antenna and mounts are the best. I would prefer not tossing on a monster whip and don't want it to be to obtrusive.

Can't speak to what VHF or UHF radios any particular trucking company might use, but the CB is the king of the haul road. You have a very wide range of users and companies and the only common radio in that situation is the CB. For oil field related traffic on the haul road, a working CB is mandatory equipment in every vehicle.

Never heard the need to "tweak" a CB. They've always worked for me right out of the box.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Can't speak to what VHF or UHF radios any particular trucking company might use, but the CB is the king of the haul road. You have a very wide range of users and companies and the only common radio in that situation is the CB. For oil field related traffic on the haul road, a working CB is mandatory equipment in every vehicle.

Never heard the need to "tweak" a CB. They've always worked for me right out of the box.
    Yeah, i mean they work fine and all, but they just dont have the range of some of the other radios basically. i suppose it just depends how far i want to talk to people really. generally they "tweak" the cb's to boost them really. more watts = more range... just gives ya more range. i know a lot of the the guys in BC (loggers and guides) use VHF radios for that reason.

Default cb & range

is dependent on your antenna and where you put it on your rig. Lots of info available via google. need to go further? run a SSB capable CB but read up on SSB first.

Rather than tweakin the radio, we used to run a switched booster. Turn it on IF you need it & leave it off to avoid busting the regs around town.

Problem with boosting a CB is not everyone hearing you can talk back.

Company radios don't have the best long range communication outside the Wasilla area so most all local long haul truckers use a CB first, UHF second.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I know for a fact that many trucking companies and slope contractors use "company" radios and their frequencies are licensed to them. They also carry CB's to talk between each company. If you are worried about communications on the Haul Rd. there really isn't a better thing than a CB tuned to channel 19, the truckers monitor it, the state road crews monitor it, most hunters monitor it. No reasonable radion is going to get you contact with the outside world. If you are worried about that, take a Sat phone.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Agreed. The slope operators do, but they have a good antenna in base camp with a maximum range. There are many places in Alaska company operated radio's won't transmit or receive which is why everyone has CB's and/or UHF in their cab.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Actually the problem with VHF or UHF is that everyone has their own freqs and you can't talk to other companies or the public. Hence the reason for CB use. The permanent residents of the Haul road (Alyeska) use both VHF and UHF radios, but only amongst themselves. The UHFs are for the pump stations and aren't used outside the facilities. The VHFs are run on 4 different freqs and use an 800-mile long repeater network to allow anyone to talk to just about anywhere (naturally there are dead zones). But that doesn't help out Joe Public or any of the truckers as they don't have access to the system.

Use the CB. You won't need to talk more than a few miles anyway. Everyone on the road is on 19 and will announce entrance into some of the tricky spots along the road. Each Alyeska pump station monitors the CB channel that coincides with the station number (e.g. pump 5 monitors channel 5).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I also know that several truckers switch to using vhf radios to communicate between trucks. When brown---- mention Kenwood I think this is what he asking about.

There were a few channel in the vhf (150-170 mhz range) and uhf (450-470 mhz) frequency that were assigned as CB channels a long time ago.