Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Bush Hunter View Post
    Accumark Load Only

185gr Berger VLD Hunting Bullet
    Vihtavuori N160 @ 56.0
    Fed 210 Match Primers
    R-P Cases
    3.333" COL

Kick Ass Load for your Accumark 30-06

J-4 jackets for accuracy loads are grate, just don't count on thin jackets for hunting big game. I have shot many thousands of Berger bullets in competitions for paper targets. They are vary well made bullets. For hunting I don't care what Walt's advertising says, I would no more think of using these thin jackets for hunting big game than I would about flying to the moon.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up Berger Hunting Bullet

Berger has a new hunting bullet that has been out a year or so in a orange box!

I have not taken any game with mine yet, but have watched Extreme Hunting on TV and read several articles of Berger Bullets testing them around the world on game.

I will put them to the test this spring and fall if I'm lucky.

I really like the accuarcy I am getting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bullets.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    For hunting I don't care what Walt's advertising says, I would no more think of using these thin jackets for hunting big game than I would about flying to the moon.
    I'll tell that to the guy I know who one shotted an elk at 500 plus yards with one

I have known Walter and Erick (before he married Walt's granddaughter) for many years and shot competitively on many Bench rest matches. Know them on a first name basis. The only time I ever heard them say anything about hunting with a Berger bullet was years before Walt bought out J-4 From Spivco. That was for varmint hunting. Funny how that all changed when Walt did not spend as much time at the shop and they moved from Phoenix to California. I called and talked to Erick and told him my objections about recommending the thin jackets for hunting big game and his response was that he had had some hunters tell him how good they worked on Large game in the lower 48. This then put them in the same position with all the other bullet manufactures as Hornaday and Sierra. Now I know you know so much more about this subject than anybody else, but let me point out that a bullet launched at that distance of 500 yards may just be moving at a slower velocity than a bullet launched to impact at 50 to 75 yards and a thin jacket may not have the same explosive effect. Now you do have and option, you can all ways run backward from the game to get the lower velocity or you can just use a bullet that is guaranteed at the published velocity on the box? I like the convenience of shooting from where I see the animal and think it is a lot more covenant. Here is why I do not like another brand of bullets that do not act like a conventional core and jacket, when you get way out form the game these bullets act just like what they are, a solid bullet and do not expand, yet they fail to tell shooters about this little problem in there advertisements.

NOW I know the fellow that has not had this happen on hunting trips know that advertisers are mostly interested in selling there products and really have no experience of there own either and as such there goal still remains the same, sell their products. Why would anybody that makes his living have any interest in the downside to any thing he makes a living from to actually try these under similar conditions and tell his customer anything. After all the customer is already sold when he walks through the door.

For the rest of the hunting world, who would you trust more, the bullet maker that builds and test his bullets in live game, or the guy who knows all about the need for a properly constructed bullet that has no testing in live game and does not make a properly constructed bullet for the job and tests in any other way but live game? Besides what do you think the main aim of a target bullet manufacture is?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

For those of you who like Bergers, we are getting in some HSM 300 Win Mag loaded with Hunting Bergers

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Bush Hunter View Post
    Berger has a new hunting bullet that has been out a year or so in a orange box!

I have not taken any game with mine yet, but have watched Extreme Hunting on TV and read several articles of Berger Bullets testing them around the world on game.

I will put them to the test this spring and fall if I'm lucky.

I really like the accuarcy I am getting.

Do you know the story of why J-4 (aka) Berger is producing a thicker jacket? It was to help eliminate a problem for long range target shooters and the entire bunch of target shooters that Erick got together to test the problem was due to bullets blowing up on launch of the older bullets due to velocity and barrel twist and temperature. Has and had nothing to do with hunting. It all started with the 6.5mm. The real difficulty was setting up their machinery for punching the thicker jacket material. All of this testing was done on a long range target course. Care to read the thread that Erick posted about the testing and and what they found? Oh and by the way, nothing Berger bullets ever tests has anything to do with testing for hunting, core welding or bonding or jacket material for hunting, that is not why they are in business.

Beware of advertisers.

I don't know of anywhere this applies more than in guns and politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Do you know the story of why J-4 (aka) Berger is producing a thicker jacket? It was to help eliminate a problem for long range target shooters and the entire bunch of target shooters that Erick got together to test the problem was due to bullets blowing up on launch of the older bullets due to velocity and barrel twist and temperature. Has and had nothing to do with hunting. It all started with the 6.5mm. The real difficulty was setting up their machinery for punching the thicker jacket material. All of this testing was done on a long range target course. Care to read the thread that Erick posted about the testing and and what they found? Oh and by the way, nothing Berger bullets ever tests has anything to do with testing for hunting, core welding or bonding or jacket material for hunting, that is not why they are in business.

Beware of advertisers.

I don't know of anywhere this applies more than in guns and politics.
    I do not think that anyone is arguing with the reason that the bullets were designed Big Al, just that they are now being recognized as effective hunting bullets. I think that they fill a particular niche very well, but they are not an all purpose hunting bullet IMO. I can't believe you are unaware of the testing that Berger and independent testers have done the past several years with the VLDs on game animals. While I am uncertain (I've some guesses, but not certainties) why they work exactly like they do considering their construction, the fact remains that they offer adequate penetration and maximum tissue destruction in both tests and in the field on game animals. I have not used them for animals bigger than deer, but IME they have proven to very effective on animals under 200 lbs. My experience is entirely limited to the 6.5 140 grain, but I've little doubt that the .284 180 grain or the .308 210 grain are effective for hunting larger game.