Thread: Gettin' Jiggy Ice fishing Contest

Default Gettin' Jiggy Ice fishing Contest

Went to the Gettin' Jiggy Ice fishing contest on Knik lake and there was no fish bitting and the bigges fish I think was like a 22'' rainbow but I'm not sure. And did anyone else go to the contest if so tell about your time.
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

We attended the "Gettin Jiggy" Derby yesterday. As my husband and I walked the lake to see everyone's catch, we noticed all the smiles on the kids faces. Although they weren't catching much they still had high spirits.

My husband lost his brother at the age of 27 to Leukemia. Chris loved fishing, even if he didn't catch anything. It was a chance to get out and enjoy nature and not be poked and prodded by needles and such.

This derby was a benefit to the "Make A Wish Foundation". Although people may not have caught " catfish hunter". We were all able to get out and have a good time.

Preed,
    Thank you for making a wish come true for a less fortunate child.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

This year I was working but plan to make it an annual event for the kids and hope one day they carry it with their kids.

I hope ya had a good turn out.

Austyn,

I know its hard being 13 and coming home empty handed but it was for a good cause. We'll all go fishing when your uncle gets home, hows that?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

While my kids didn't catch any big ones, they made up for it in quantity. I had to stop my 10y.o. daughter at 10 fish before she went over her limit. She caught 5 in four minutes All told, the four kids that were with me caught over 40 fish, released a dozen and kept 28 ..some to eat and some to donate to the bird rescue folks. My kids, who never ice fished had a BLAST!! even the teenagers.

I ran into DenaliHunter there by chance. His wife and him were standing by the Sportsman's Warehouse tent and I struck up a conversation with him..not realizing who he was. His boy, Bob, (6) wasn't having any luck. I invited them over to my daughter's hole and he was soon on the fish. Bob was all grins then

A beautiful day and it was great to be part of something that made so much money for such a great charity. I donated the use of the tents for the awards ceremony and my kids worked there butts off helping set them up and tear them down. I was very proud of them.

Many thanks to Paul Reed (preed here on AODD) for putting on a great event. See you guys there next year
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thumbs up Great fun!

My wife, son and I attended the event. It was a lotta fun, and great time. Bob really had a great time, especially once Doug and his great family put us in the right spot! It was a near perfect day to be on the lake, and I think they had 300 kids or so signed up for the event. It was great meeting Akdoug and his family! Just happened to be in the right place at the right time, and funny how the first person we strike a conversation up with happens to be someone from here! Posting a couple of pic's of the great day! Please support your Make-A-Wish Foundation. I really like what they do for these kids.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Video on YouTube from preed... Good job all you volunteers and fisherkids...looks like they raised nearly $4500

on average it takes $5,000 dollars to grant a wish. we raised $4500!
    as far as im concerned, we granted a wish to child in need. and we did it having fun!

Alaskan kids helping Alaskan kids!

it was a HUGE success! more than doubled last years derby in every catagory!
    You all ROCK!
    thank you for everything!!!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Fishonaustyn View Post
    Went to the Gettin' Jiggy Ice fishing contest on Knik lake and there was no fish bitting and the bigges fish I think was like a 22'' rainbow but I'm not sure. And did anyone else go to the contest if so tell about your time.
    Glad you were able to make it out there. Jordan wanted to go but had basketball that day. Too bad you didn't catch anything. Just means they will get bigger for the next time you make it out. Let me know when you might be going. Maybe we can all go.

J
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

The overall winner Saturday was Travis Recer, 9, with a 22-inch trout. Second place was Jordan Kofoad, 11, with a 21-inch trout and third place was 12-year-old Blake Umhauers 20.5-inch trout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thank You!

I was not able to attend the event. I missed out.

I just wanted to thank Paul and all the sponsors that made the event happen. Great JOB too all!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I think we need to double it again next year ... Maybe we can add an AODD member get together into the mix and bring some more kids. Paul, definately count me in for next year and I'll help with publicity here on AODD and up in the northern part of the valley. Remind me around Jan 1st. at the end of this year and I'm in again.