Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sand hill cranes?

Default sand hill cranes?

i've got a field behing my house that occasionally has cranes in it and was curious how they taste? any feedback..no pun intended?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Fantastic. Of all the birds I shoot during waterfowl hunting, cranes were always my favorite to eat. Of course this was down in Texas.

Ribeye of the Sky....good eat'N

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Ribeye of the Sky....good eat'N
    Couldn't have said it better. I'll have to remember that one.

I was duck hunting with an old timer while in Oklahoma and a flock flew over and he said, "there goes a bunch of ribeye in the sky". I didn't realize how good they actually taste until I was able to bust one last year! Good luck and watch out for the splash when they hit the water.

Cook them rare and they taste like roast beef.

Default The best

They are the best tasting waterfowl on the planet IMHO.

I think they taste like fryed Ham, when roasted over a fire with Seasonall salt, seasoning.....and taste like beef when cooked in a soup.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

ohhh dang, sounds like i've been missin' out...thanks guys!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Crane are excellent eating IMO
    Duckdon

Man,that sounds great...............
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

unbelieveable taste...the roast beef comment rings true.

but there is something about these birds...i can only take one or two a year

for some reason have a deep respect for them. they seem very prehistoric.

Dont shoot the ones with the big RED bald patch.....unless you like boot leather - the Younger ones are MUCH better eatin.

otherwise - you can crock'em all day and it will definately be like a roast - but they sure aint ribeye. Lots of Tendons in those Legs - and for a bird with as huge a wingspan as a crane has - you'd think they would have a little meat there...they dont.

I have also never considered them "waterfowl" although I am sure some on here will probably disagree

You'll like em if you can get one of them.

I would shoot as many as I legally could when they came by - I'll take that Crane over those stinky mud flavored ducks any day of the week! But Alas - they are not as easy as you might think.

I was up at our favorite spot last year and the cranes were thick and we limited out. They do look like a pair of blue jeans thrown out of a helicopter when you plug one though. My lab wasn't too sure about facing off with a wounded one! It was his first hunt and he retrieved several teal and some mallards, but the cranes and geese were kind of big for him.
    Great tasting!

Mountaintrekker

Love it, just don't send the dog to get it!!

I'm still waiting on one to come into shotgun range.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I think of all the bird's the crane is the least greasiest.

The duck is the most, then the goose is secound, and then come's the crane.

I would'nt shoot a duck for dinner unless I had to, but a crane, in a heartbeat.

It's to each his own.

I ate so many rabbit's when I was younger, that I had to take a 20 year break from them. Now I kinda like the taste of them again, who would've guessed?

Wounded cranes and Labrador Retrievers don't mix well. Your dog will retrieve them until he finds his first cripple. After that, you retrieve them all even the dead ones.

Like any wild bird, don't overcook it (unless you slow cook it in a crock pot).

They taste best when they are still pink in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    My lab wasn't too sure about facing off with a wounded one! It was his first hunt and he retrieved several teal and some mallards, but the cranes and geese were kind of big for him.
    Great tasting!
    Mountaintrekker
    Ditto what others have said....I keep my dog in the blind on cranes. Too many horror stories about dogs getting their eyes plucked, etc. I don't know if they're all true, but it's definitely possible. Kinda like retrieving/fighting a mini-pterodactyl.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Default cantankerous busters

Quote Originally Posted by bobshem View Post
    Wounded cranes and Labrador Retrievers don't mix well. Your dog will retrieve them until he finds his first cripple. After that, you retrieve them all even the dead ones.

Like any wild bird, don't overcook it (unless you slow cook it in a crock pot).

They taste best when they are still pink in the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    Ditto what others have said....I keep my dog in the blind on cranes. Too many horror stories about dogs getting their eyes plucked, etc. I don't know if they're all true, but it's definitely possible. Kinda like retrieving/fighting a mini-pterodactyl.
    My friend from Aniak had a grandfather who was the greatest bear hunter in the land. He had 2 mckenzie river huskies that were his prize bear hunting dogs. Long story short, there was a crane sitting on a mound in a field and he bet me that his gramps dogs could get that rascal. The 2 dogs deftly stalked up to it one behind the other from the side... all of the sudden we hear a hideous hissing sound followed by gut wrenching yelps and howls, when the dust settled BOTH DOGS HAD BEEN TOSSED ***** OVER TEA KETTLE! they were dazed and confused trying to regain focus! It was friggn hilarious, the dang craned leaped up and kicked the 80 plus lb dogs right in the snout! once each! LMAO! I havn't thought of that for years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast