Thread: Going deep for halibut in 2010

Default Going deep for halibut in 2010

I have posted fishing reports and pretty good fishing information on this site for ten years now. I have never advertised my charter service on here. In my opinion this site is about the fishing not marketing my trips. With that disclaimer, I am trying to gauge the interest on here for some thing a little different....

I have been interested in doing an exploritory trip out to the Seward Gully for halibut, black cod, and Shortrakers. I have never heard of anyone doing a sport trip out there. I am pretty sure if someone went and fished out there, we would know it in Seward.
    I used to fish the area commercailly and it is full of fish. 80 - 90 miles offshore (4 hour boat ride), fishable depths start at 60 fathoms and would probabaly fish down to 100 fathoms. Not too many huge halibut but tons of 30 - 40 pound fish along with a ton of other edible fish. I am planning the exploritory trip in early June, midnight departure, 5PM return. Picking dates towards the dark side of the moon and a small tide to try to avoid the screaming current I have witnessed first hand. I am going to send out all the information to those who have signed up for our newsletter. I doubt anyone in their right mind would make a habit of running that far on a regular basis but once or twice a year, I would really like to give it a shot. Something different for those of you from up here who have already seen a lot of what the area offers. It will likely be a lot of work, but could be fun. Weather dependant...

Any comments would be appreciated.

Interesting that you caught black cod out there in only 60-100 fathoms. In the Sound we don't start catching any black cod until we're well past 200 fathoms, and it doesn't get consistenty good until we're at 300 fathoms or more.

Should be an interesting trip, though. Let us know how it goes if it happens.

Default what would you charge

Sounds fun.

Sign me up!!

-Ben

I'm interested in it!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Interested as well

Keep me posted

Okay, now that I have recieved a good enough reply between this and emails, that I am going to set it up and I will let people know. About 20 so far said they would like to give it a shot and I didn't even ask the really crazy fishermen I know ( Stickleback you are one of those). That means it is likely that atleast 8 will actually be ready and on the boat at Midnight.... Since it is exploritory, I can really charge anyone more than my costs which are fuel, 1 crew and a couple of boxes of bait. I think not more than 10 lines in the water will be best and that make the cost cheaper than a night at a hotel in Anchorage.

I will let you all know prior to the sportsman show in Anchorage, when the date will be. Start eating lots of meat and doing curls. I only have 5 electric reels.....

Good luck to the lucky winners! Wish I could go!!!

Starting at 60 fathoms? No thanks.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default I'll Play

count me in.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Count me and my son in, IF you have electric reels for both of us Otherise, no way, no how, lol.
    Tennessee

Can I bring my own Electric reel? Have fished lots of 80-100 Fathoms outside the Washington Coast 20 miles, Not all that badf you can back into the current to keep lines at a good angle.

I wonder we should go out in more than one boat since we'd be going out so far, sort of a boating "buddy system".

Heh, the electric reels sound pretty good too...
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

question for you all. exactly how deep is a fathom? sounds pretty deep, considering most of my fish i eat come from less than 25 feet of water here in MI.

1 fathom = 6 feet

so 60 fathoms = 360 feet

Smile

boy if i lived a little closer id be there in a heart beat you guys that are goin better start workin out that reeling arm.

All I can say is fresh black cod is unreal.

I've never caught one myself tho.

4 hr boat rides and 60-100 fathoms is not for me.
    Last edited by L. G.; 02-01-2010 at 14:06. Reason: . . .

Sounds like a fun trip, if my work schedule is free I'd be up for it.

I haven't been out with someone else finding the fish, and more importantly somebody else cleaning the boat afterwards in a long time. That and it's fun to fish new spots.

Default Littlemore info

Electric reels would probabaly be good to bring, just in case the current is strong or the fish are holding deeper.

My boat is certified by the USCG to take passengers within 100 miles of a port of safe refuge. It is a long way offshore, but we routinely fish other areas that are very far from any other boats on overnight trips. The boat was built with redundant safety systems to make traveling way offshore as safe as possible. It probabily would not be a good idea to take any kind of recreational boat out that far.
    When we go I wil be in touch with some other boats that are out there fishing already. I have a Inmarsat satilite "dispatch phone" so I have the phone number of most of the commercial boats that fish that area.

It is deep but it is very productive and something different.

here is a huge shortgilled rough raker we caught very deep last year....2460 feet in PWS
    Attached Images Attached Images