Thread: Spring Bear partner needed?

Default Spring Bear partner needed?

This will be my last year to try and get a bear. My better half is encouraging me to get out and hunt. She has agreed to baby sit our new born as I long as it takes to put a rug on the wall. Yes fellas, I know how lucky I am and sorry but she does not have any sisters!

I'm stationed here in Anchorage and hoping someone out there would like to meet up and head out on the coast? Here's the catch, I have no boat but would would be happy to cover fuel and beer....soda if you don't drink. I'm also a resident so if you want to chase Brownies, I'd buy you lunch too PM me if you could use a partner.

Morgan

If you can't find anyone to go, just go Solo!..............chances are you'd stand a better chance in Tagging out for both Black Bear and Brown Bear. After going down this road in looking for a friend to hunt with, I prefer to do it Alone!!!....those last minute cancellations of something came up and etc, always seem to come into play everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    If you can't find anyone to go, just go Solo!..............chances are you'd stand a better chance in Tagging out for both Black Bear and Brown Bear. After going down this road in looking for a friend to hunt with, I prefer to do it Alone!!!....those last minute cancellations of something came up and etc, always seem to come into play everytime.
    I think his point is that he is looking for a partner with a boat??
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Default timeline or area

Do you have a timeline in mind and area, PWS for black bear in May for example?
    I have a boat and am interested in coming over to the sound in spring, may be interested in someone to share fuel, and hunt experience with Bear there.
    Once I am commited I am in, though there are alot of variables to boat action in spring, namely weather. I'll be traveling over from Kodiak maybe delivering fish in homer and going hunting from there. will be out on water April thru June with slots of time flexible. Just thinking about it all at this point. My boat is way tougher than i am, but high seas misery is still misery and forces some flexibility. Vessel is 38' lots of room have basic skiff avail and the sound is cadillac boat country ....???

Congrats on finding a woman like that, she is wise... have fun with the newborn. PM me with details or post more details on what you are interested in

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I think his point is that he is looking for a partner with a boat??
    Yeah and......he can still go solo, he can arrange for a water taxi, or a drop-off I know some charters out of Valdez that will do it in PWS, depending on when in the Spring. He also didn't specify much, don't know which coast so if he wanted to get on 16B for brownies, he could also fly ( if thats an option he wants)...just trying to give him ideas, and not be discouraged on getting that ultimate alaskan solo experience.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    This will be my last year to try and get a bear. My better half is encouraging me to get out and hunt. She has agreed to baby sit our new born as I long as it takes to put a rug on the wall. Yes fellas, I know how lucky I am and sorry but she does not have any sisters!

I'm stationed here in Anchorage and hoping someone out there would like to meet up and head out on the coast? Here's the catch, I have no boat but would would be happy to cover fuel and beer....soda if you don't drink. I'm also a resident so if you want to chase Brownies, I'd buy you lunch too PM me if you could use a partner.

Morgan
    Get good partner. If you can't find one for this year there is still next. "Solo" is great for sitting on the side of some hill just thinking about how lucky we may be for our blessings - but - not bear hunting. It shouldn't be "all about us". Too much stuff can and does go wrong.
    Good luck.

Smile

just of curiosity have you thought about bear baiting? seems like a pretty good way to do it. Drive a few hours away to get away from the crowds and i would think you've got a pretty good shot at nab'n a blackie.

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Get good partner. If you can't find one for this year there is still next. "Solo" is great for sitting on the side of some hill just thinking about how lucky we may be for our blessings - but - not bear hunting. It shouldn't be "all about us". Too much stuff can and does go wrong.
    Good luck.

Probably hijacking the thread, but I hear you on the solo hunt. There are so many things that can go wrong on any Alaskan experience that I don't believe in tempting fate. Then again I have 4 small kids at home who's lives would be devestated if something happend to their father just so I could have "an experience", so that is my main motivation. And I'd never do it anyway as hunting for me is all about sharing experiences with my friends and/or family members.

Back to the thread, I have a boat and am planning black and brown bear hunt in unit 6 this spring, heading out of Whitter. I don't have a partner yet, boat big enough for three guys. Send me a PM.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Default Never hunted bears from the coast

Ya'll got me figured out pretty well. While I'm fine doing a solo hunt, I like hunting with good company. It's not always about harvesting an animal but since I haven't harvested either a Brown or Black bear yet, I'd like to concentrate my efforts on them this spring. I got some practice on deer this past November but my problem is that I all I have on my walls is paint. The wife is happy with the meat in the freezer but she always mentions how nice a trophy would look on the wall

I love the challenge of the hunt, I'm just would like to find some good ol' boys to get out and chase a few critters with. Maybe the problem is that I get just as excited when my hunting buddies are successful as I am when I am. While I was stationed in Florida, I was the go to guy with the boat and I enjoyed taking people out. Up here the tables turned, without a boat I'm the one looking to hook up with fellow boat hunters.

PM coming your way.

I might be interested in splitting the cost of a drop off in PWS.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Default Bear Hunt

Morgan,

Ocean trips are a great time and that's how we hunt a lot but you ought to also consider a walk in bear hunt. It is a cheap and productive way to do it. Being in the military you ought to be in good shape and killing a bear on the Kenai is pretty easy if you work at it. Grab a copy of 55 ways to SC Alaska hiking book, pick a trail with some south-facing slopes and start walking. Set up camp in a likely spot and relax and glass. We have killed plenty of bears on the Kenai this way.

Second option, cruise highways and glass. Richardson was always good and the Seward, just be sure to be 440 yards off the Seward before shooting.

You'll get one.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island