Thread: Cross Fox Night

Default Cross Fox Night

Went out and called under the bright moon and got this nice Cross Fox on the first stand. I had called this area before and was always skunked in the past. I setup a bit different and made extra sure to hide in the dark shadows and have the rifle ready, and aimed where the speaker was pointed. After 7 minutes of FoxPro Snowshoe distress, I heard something to my left in the willows. Then, I saw a flash of dark ear go flying by me about 35 yards out in front of me at a 45 degree to my left down in the grass. I was sitting up on a higher plateau and this Fox was running along the drop/cut-bank. I saw his back again about 20 yards after I saw the ear and knew he was going to get my scent if he went much farther. He was cruising pretty quick and when he popped out to where I could get a shot, I gave it to him. I hit low behind his front legs and he dropped instantly (visible in picture below). Then, to my surprise, he did a hot-rod move and plowed away from me with his rear legs. I gave him another quick shot from the 22mag 30gr V-max to the O-ring and dropped him. I hit him low on the front right leg and it clipped his lower ribcage, splitting his hide. After skinning him out though, the hole won't even be noticeable after I have him turned into a nice little rug. That's my first Cross Fox and the first I've called in over 4 years I think. Anyways, thought this might be a motivator for all those people doing the night hunts. Be ready, the action can be quicker than you think when it all happens.

Palmer, AK

What a pretty little dog! Congrats!!

Somewhere between here and there.....

Very nice!!!!!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Well done again. Seems like you are getting steady action these days. Offer that last pic up to Foxpro as a promotional....maybe get the next generation caller or sounds for it? Great pic, nice little dog. What was the temp there last night?

Thanks, that might make a good promo photo for FoxPro. The temperature was around 5F to 0F with a slight breeze every once in awhile. Great night to be out calling. Hitting it again tonight, we'll see how it goes.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

nice pics man.

by the way, how do you do it?
    i have tried and treid and treid, and nothing!

North Pole

Coming from a novice predator hunter; What do the tape strips do for your horn? Are they for effects, nullifying the generated sounds, help to diguise the caller?

Default Tape Strips

I just put those in the speaker to break up the solid color a bit and add some camo to it. Seems to work just fine. I also wrap the outside in 3M foam tape. That helps camo it and also helps keep it quiet if a branch hits it walking in to a stand.

Nice fox Peter.

Thumbs up

Way cool!!! That is a definate motivater! Do you often do well on a full moon?

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

What a beauty! Thanks for sharing the pics and the good report on how you got it. That may just motivate me to go out tonight and get one for my wall.

Default Full Moons

I call quite a few animals under the moon. Not that I kill that many, but I have called in quite a few. I'm learning from my past mistakes though and getting the variables worked out in my favor now though. No luck last night under the moon. Tried a couple new spots, but no luck. Oh well, there are still a few good nights left with the waning moon, just have to hunt later/earlier in the morning.

-thankyou for posting....

-I showed my kids the pictures, too...they have never seen one...
    Last edited by aksheephuntress; 02-04-2010 at 13:26. Reason: spelling