Thread: 375 Ruger Hawkeye African

Default 375 Ruger Hawkeye African

Cabelas had one last night NIB for 769.00 so I jumped on it. Balanced well, tigger crisp, and action smooth so I couldn't pass it up.

1. I had read some post about the stocks splitting under recoil. This does have a crossbolt and i fully plan to glass bed the rifle, but was curious if anyone had any information or reports on this?

2. I have decided to scale back a bit and not scope it with a S&B or Swaro, but instead am looking at a Leupold VX-7 1.5-6x24...Read a lot of good things so far and have found one for about 800.00...Does anyone have any experience of thought about this scope?
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

I looked at the 375 Rugers and they looked nice. I'm out of the market, though, as another post here got me looking at the Model 798 Remingtons (Zastava Mauser Mk X actions) that they discontinued and CDNN was selling. Got a NIB 375 H&H for under $550 with shipping and FFL transfer fee. Couldn't pass it up. Am sure I'll bed it after test firing.

Sounds like you've got a nice rifle there.

I have one. Get a trigger job. It isn't horrible, but it isn't great either. Also replace the recoil pad....it sucks. I have a pachmeyr. The bedding isn't a bad idea at all.

Brett

I have the Alaskan, love it. I also have the VX-7 1.5-6X24, great scope but I paid $1100. My cousin has the same rifle and put the VX-3 1.5-5X20 on his and paid just over $300. For the money the VX-7 isn't worth the difference in this low power model, just my opinion.

How are the optics on VX-7? I am mainly leaning this way because of the 6 power option, but are they 5-600 better than the 1.5-5x? Also was considering a 1.5-5X in a 30mm tube.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Default shooter

My son has one and loves it. He shoots it with the factory open sights, and it does shoot! I have been after him to bed the stock as I heard some were splitting but he hasnt yet and he must have put at least 200 rounds through it now. I saw him shoot a grizzly with it this year.. pretty impressive round.

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    How are the optics on VX-7? I am mainly leaning this way because of the 6 power option, but are they 5-600 better than the 1.5-5x? Also was considering a 1.5-5X in a 30mm tube.
    If I wanted to/was willing to spend more than a VX3 I would get a Swarovski Z6 1.5-6 with extended eye relief and forget the VX7.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    Actual magnification is 4.5 versus 5.8 between the two mentioned. The VX-7 is great but if I could do it again I would buy the VX-3 2.5-8X36 with the Boone and Crockett reticle.

It's half the price of the VX-7 and low enough on the near end and a little more power if you need to reach out. I don't think the 30mm tube is a factor on a short scope.

Default VX-3 vs VX-7

I have the VX-3 1.5-5x20 German #4 atop a CZ 550 20" bbl 9.3x62 with factory open sights.
    (There was a mixup at the factory and they accidentally installed a Safari Magnum stock on the 550 FS barreled action. It is SWEET! A small perk of selling guns for a living)
    Accuracy with 250 gr Accubond and 286 gr Soft Point is excellent. I got a Pro Deal from work and considered the VX-7 at length, but I didn't see enough difference in glass for a close range scope to spend the extra $$. I would get the VX-7 for the Illuminated Reticle, but otherwise the VX-3 does it all and unless you really practice "reaching" with a small scope you don't need 30mm glass. Better to spend the saved cash on better binos or a spotting scope or use it for tags on your next hunt!
    If you've never tried a German #4 reticle I must urge you to do so. Target acquisition and range estimation are a dream come true. All you have to do is practice!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    If I wanted to/was willing to spend more than a VX3 I would get a Swarovski Z6 1.5-6 with extended eye relief and forget the VX7.

Brett

If I was going to spend that much I would bypass the z6 and Buy 1.5-6X42 S&B.........

.....By the way, i settled on a compromise, bought a 1.5-5X and a 2 sets of warne detachables, going to use the the second set for a 3-9X40 conquest as both a back up and a longer range scope if needed.

Brett

I have spent some time going back and forth between the S&B and the Swarvo at the NRA convention here in Phoenix and had a preference for the S&B.
    I also shot the Ruger a couple of years ago and it seemed to have less felt recoil then the H&H butI would rather have the CZ action if I were using it for dangerous game.

Quote Originally Posted by 300hunter View Post
    If you've never tried a German #4 reticle I must urge you to do so. Target acquisition and range estimation are a dream come true. All you have to do is practice!
    I couldn't agree more. I love a #4 reticle and have moved more and more toward them on everything.

It seems this turned to more of a scope discussion, another good subject, and I do like the #4 reticle. In Leupold, Kahles, or Swarovsky if you can swing it in something of the 1 to 7X range. I like the Leupold 1.75-6X with the #4 and the 1.5-5x with the same reticle. I don't care for 30mm tubes preferring something less bulky. Low power on these scopes give very good light at dusk.

As for the African 375 Ruger model, I will tell you that I have broken at the wrist three stocks on two different rifles. I also will recommend a good Pachmeyer decelerator or equivalent for a recoil pad. That red thing isn't a recoil pad. GunBugs is bedding and padding my African model now and will be woking up more loads with it soon. I plan to take it and my 416 Murphy rifle to Zimbabwe this summer.

My Alaska Black Alaskan rest in a McMillan classic style stock with cheek rest and a 14.0" LOP. It fits me very well. It is bedded by McMillan in that stock and began shooting 3/4" groups when I got it home. The short barrel and a good stock brought it down from three inch groups. The Hogue looks feels and shoots crappy for me and had to go. Some do like it. I gave away the Hogue stock and the new owner put it on his African. Don't know any results of that.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    I have spent some time going back and forth between the S&B and the Swarvo at the NRA convention here in Phoenix and had a preference for the S&B.
    I also shot the Ruger a couple of years ago and it seemed to have less felt recoil then the H&H butI would rather have the CZ action if I were using it for dangerous game.
    Both GREAT scopes. The extended eye relief option is aweful nice on the Swaro though. S&Bs also tend to weigh a billion pounds. The Ruger probably fits you better. It should all else equal have a slight bit more recoil than the H&H. Slight is the key word though. I like the CZ very much. A very solid rifle however they are VERY heavy for a .375! I also prefer the 3 position safety, but that's my thing. The Ruger MK2 and CZ are better set up from the get go. That said the African with customizing on my part was closer to what I wanted.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I plan to take it and my 416 Murphy rifle to Zimbabwe this summer.
    Tease!!!! Tell us more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLLLEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSSEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brett

Have dies coming in on thursday and picked up some brass and 260 accubonds...Going to work up some loads with Re 15 and go from there.

I was really impressed with this bullet and powder combo in the H&H and with the design of the bullet, it produced great ballistic leaving at 2700 FPS. If I could get 2800 out of the ruger, the load is going to be a real hammer out to 300 maybe 350 with minimal drop.

I currently have in the works a hunt planned for South Africa this August and plan to take this rifle and load. Its only a plains game hunt but the accubond will allow me to reach out an touch an impala if need be and will provide all the punch needed for an Eland( the primary animal I want)

Both GREAT scopes. The extended eye relief option is aweful nice on the Swaro though. S&Bs also tend to weigh a billion pounds.

S&B new summit in a 1" tube, 2.5-10X40, is quite the scope right now. Lightest S&B has made, 2nd focal plane, and actually is less than any zenith you can buy.

Awesome! Eland are great animals! Be prepared to want to go back over and over and over and over and over and over........well you get the idea!

Brett