Thread: Anyone loading 270WSM?

Default Anyone loading 270WSM?

I'm starting out, just bought the RCBS kit and am reading up but have only a day and a half in Anch left to gear up. Am hoping someone could give me advice on the bullets, primers, powder they are using for some standard loads (100,130,&150grain) for 270WSM so I can grab some at Anch prices and availability.

Maybe anyone who loads in Kodiak could let me know if there is good supply there at Macks of the HazMat stuff so I don't need to worry about getting it here???

The book has so many options for Powder types for example I thought one of you guys could tell me what you are using and I could get started with supplies. Leaving town on Sun morn but passing through again next Fri. and Sat.

Your advice Much Appreciated

Also should I get a digital set of Calipers or standard dial type?

Okay, went and looked up some of the loads I have worked on with the wifes 270wsm.

I had best luck with Magpro, then Reloader 19, reloader 22 and last IMR 4350. Always use published data and start low and work up.

Calipers are dealer choice, use what ever you can read easily. I use a digital one, but both work fine.

Good Luck

Steve

Thumbs up 270 WSM Data- 4 pages

http://www.realguns.com/archives/078.htm

Reloader 22 and Barnes 130 TSX seem to be a good combo

http://www.realguns.com/loads/270wsm.htm

I like RL 19 with the 130 or 140 Barnes TSX for the 270wsm. CCI 250 primers. The Barnes web site has some good reloading data.

I too had good luck with RL 19 and Barnes 130gr tsx. They Shot good, but the recoil was a bit more than the Nosler Accubonds with IMR 4350. I like the Barnes better, but the wife liked the Noslers better. I can't find the chrono data, but the load was around 3200fps if I remember correctly. Days are getting longer and warmer, believe I need to get to the range myself.

Steve

Default Thanks folks

Thanks a lot this is a big help, I found a bunch of different bullets to try but have settled on IMR 4350 and Reloder19,22 seems to cover a lot of options

One thing I noticed is in the book for Speer bullets that came with the RCBS kit it says CCI 200 for primers. Then I notice another book, I think it was the Barnes book that says CCI 250 and I notice Stid using 250's,

I figured they would all be the same (?) Should I get both? Again I haven't done enough reading yet but for the Speer bk

Thanks again, what a valuable resource you forum members are to a starting out guy

The 200s are large rifle primers and the 250s are Magnum large rifle primers. Magnum primers are recommended for use with magnum calibers with large powder charges and in cold damp weather.

Good LUck

Steve