Thread: Lake Louise in April

Default Lake Louise in April

Iíll be home for the month of April, and would like to get some camping and fishing in. Would Lake Louise be a viable location that early for fishing? Iíd like to get the boat wet, but will ice be off the lake that early?
    Thanks,

Well, lets just put it this way, the ice fishing should be really good then. I fish it right when the ice comes off and call it luck to be doing it Memorial Day Weekend. A lot of years, it is even later. However, there might be good news, with the way the winter is going in the valley, there is a small chance that some lake around here (finger) might thaw out by the end of April. Not that you'd need a boat thought, as the fish are right next to shore.....

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Well, lets just put it this way, the ice fishing should be really good then. I fish it right when the ice comes off and call it luck to be doing it Memorial Day Weekend. A lot of years, it is even later. However, there might be good news, with the way the winter is going in the valley, there is a small chance that some lake around here (finger) might thaw out by the end of April. Not that you'd need a boat thought, as the fish are right next to shore.....
    What T.R said. Memorial Day earliest for Lake Louise. 1 in 4 from the people that I talk to. Personal note - Warmest winter for many years so maybe it has a chance of being out Memorial Day. Cross your fingers.

1st of June is usually a good bet for ice free boating.

Default Ice

In 2008 it was iced up on Memorial Day except for about 20 to 50 feet around the shoreline. If you search the archives for Lake Louise, you will find a picture I posted to a similar question.

Now there was someone in a airboat making runs back and forth over the ice to the cabins on the islands. That was pretty impressive - and loud sliding/scraping across the ice.

-hiker

Found the link to the similar thread : http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=54885