Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 for 3 on one day Ox hunts.

Default 3 for 3 on one day Ox hunts.

3 folks who rented snogo's here in Nome have completed One day Ox hunts. Most recent was today (friday). Plenty of locals doing successful one day hunts too.
    Season in 22C (close to Nome) is still open and will likely be open for at least another week. Possible 2. Days are getting longer. Great weather today.
    Anyone interested in doing a DIY Ox hunt come on up. Full moon this weekend. Got intell on 2 herds within 35 miles of town.
    Shoot me a PM and we can talk.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Nice! Hope the rental deal works out for you and the rest of them do as well!

geez MT are you a forum sponsor...?! lol
    albiet i love the muskox updates, mostly cause i want one..but alas...i have the time, but lack the money..stupid economy.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My lack of a working primary clutch on my snowgo is keeping me and the wife from buzzing down for an ox, or anywhere........might have to rent a rig from MT if I can find another soon~~LOL!!~~
    633$ for a new one, so Im loking at used

Good to hear, MT.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Clutch for snowgo=ox?

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    My lack of a working primary clutch on my snowgo is keeping me and the wife from buzzing down for an ox, or anywhere........might have to rent a rig from MT if I can find another soon~~LOL!!~~
    633$ for a new one, so Im loking at used

Good to hear, MT.
    Stranger, is it possible to post the info on your needed clutch, maybe someone else has one? Hate to see you hunting stopped for a broke machine. Mark

Well, although its off topic, and only because you asked, my clutch is "Spun" as in my center for the shaft is ovaled out, setting my steel weights into the aluminum clutch body and holding them there. I can let go of the throttle and still maintain 35mph~~LOL!!~~ Occellating is bad for an engines cranke, for sure. It led to overheating about every 5 mintues as well.
    But when I stop, the clutch wont close, the drive belt remains open and it kills the engine. The way its worn makes it trash.
    Were talking about a 6 year old rig that gets 8,000 (give or take a grand) miles a year, and still running I doubt there more than a handfull of original anything on it, but Im carefull and my prevetive maintainace usually prevents me from walking ~~LOL!!~~
    I had to slow down, as needs to be done, and my 1-1/2 hour ride took 5 hours because I had to kick the clutch repetedly to snap it closed, evrytime I slowed down..arrrgh...

Got a Primary clutch for a 05, 144in 600 RMK for sale?

Ive been walking and not complaining, getting two loads of wood to borrow a friends ride, paying them in one load wood, one for me, so Im not "in trouble"
    Too bad the huntable Ox are 60 miles away.....but I'll get there

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polar...Q5fAccessories Maybe this will be some help ,There is a few listed on there. I have a set primy and secoundy from a 6x6 Wonder if they will fit it has that ebs braking stuff. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polar...Q5fAccessories

Thanks, I'll keep looking online

Thats a 550 aircooled clutch, weighted for a shoter (lighter) track, but Im thankfull that you put me on the trail

Around here, parts arnt for sale untill the need to come off a machine...~~LOL~~

fortunatly, the Ox dont move far, and I still may get there soon...

Good enough, on the right trail. Could always swap your weights to it. If found a case cheap enough. good luck with it.

Default Musk Ox hunt

I just wanted to say that I vouch for Marten Trapper 100%. I have rented sleds from him the last 2 years (2009 and 2010) and had succesful 1 day harvest of big Musk Ox bulls on both hunts. Flew up from Anchorage. His equipment is good to go and he is a wealth of knowledge on the area. The sled I rode this year had less than 100 miles on it. Best of all I feel I made a new friend out the deal. Dont hesitate its one of the cheapest best hunts you can do in Alaska.
    Attached Images Attached Images

geez just rub in it armyscout! nice ox and congrats on the trip.
    Master guide 212

Thanks Justin. Sure enjoy your company.
    Likely hunts out of Nome will be more difficult next year. Quota will be lowered and maybe a Mature bull quota. Won't be as much opportunity out of Nome.
    There's a chance the opportunities out of Shish in 22E will improve.
    Weather makes all the difference on this hunt. Forecast for next several days is looking good.

MT any idea of they are trying to sustain this harvest or just knock the numbers back to where they were?
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    3 folks who rented snogo's here in Nome have completed One day Ox hunts. Most recent was today (friday). Plenty of locals doing successful one day hunts too.
    Season in 22C (close to Nome) is still open and will likely be open for at least another week. Possible 2. Days are getting longer. Great weather today.
    Anyone interested in doing a DIY Ox hunt come on up. Full moon this weekend. Got intell on 2 herds within 35 miles of town.
    Shoot me a PM and we can talk.

That's 33.8 miles as the bird flies .

Thanks again Mike for everything!!! I really liked Nome and will diffenatly be back!

And yes i realize my photo's suck
    Attached Images Attached Images

MT

What are the specifics on this hunt? Do you have a link to a previous thread?

Thanks Ian (Srock). Ian just completed a one day hunt. Takes another day to take care of meat and get shipped out.
    Brnbr, we are wanting to maintain the pop[ulation out here, with some growth as well. 22C area was set at possibly too high a harvest rate. That rate will be adjusted and likely the quota lowered this year.
    22E has a healthy Ox pop and is way underharvested. Some are hoping to take this area out of Tier I and make it a straight registration hunt with no trophy destruction. If services remain available out of Shish, 22E will be a good hunt area for non locals. But again, very weather dependent.

Default So

What do folks do ride out during the day hunt and make their way back into Nome and stay at a Hotel?? Is thier camping involved? I would love to do this hunt next year... What other equipement do you provide besides the snowmachines? Also the reigistration tags are picked up in Nome or can you get them in Anchorage then make your way to Nome? Really hate to get to Nome and no more registration permits.. What is the cost to ship meat back to Anchorage? Thanks for any info you can provide..

Default Musk Ox hunt

You can do it both ways. My first year we stayed out in a tent once we found a herd and camped out near them until opening day. It was -66 with wind chill but we did it and have great memories from it but wont do that again. This year we rode out from town the day prior to season scouted the herds then rode out the next day and got on our herd about 3 hours before day light. Conditions were much warmer this year getting into the single digits. We sent our meat and hides back with NAC. It was around 650 pounds and ran right at 200 bucks. Youll need to plan a whole day to butcher your ox. MT will rent you his garage to butcher in. There are plenty of places to stay in town ranging from 100 to 200 a night. Dont hesitate its an awesome hunt. If you need specifics on anything PM me. Thanks again for 2 great hunts MT your the man.

Default tags

Sorry almost forgot.....you have to get your reg tags in Nome but I believe there unlimited. A quick phone call will answer that question for you.

The hunt can be done with day trips. Can also be done with camping. Up to the hunter.
    I rent snogo's and sleds and can also rent my garage for a place to butcher out of the weather.
    Permits are only available in Nome or area villages. Shipping meat is around 30-35 bucks per 100 pounds. Ak. Air, NAC and Everts fly in here.
    Just check with F&G office in Nome for current remaining quota. Things have gone fairly slow here with most kills occuring over weekends. I'm guessing there will still be 10 animals available after this weekend.
    Here's a tidbit for next year. We have a registration moose and a registration Ox hunt that both open Jan 1. in unit 22D. You can have both permits in your pocket and hunt both critters at the same time. A guy could go home with a heck of alot of meat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast