Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat show report

Default Boat show report

Boat show any better than last year?

I'm going Saturday with my wife.. need a few supplies and wanted to give our local retailers first crack at the sale. I plan to hit both the Dena'ina Center and Northway Mall. This is just what the doctor ordered to get over some cabin fever!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I hit it this morning for an hour. It is $5 to get in and they charge for kids over 3 years old. Very similar to last year, even some of the same boats there.The notable ones were the Woolridge 29' and a Fishrite 25' that I had not seen up here before.

I am guessing more of the accessories were at the Northway mall, as it did not seem like that many vendors there.

Glaciercraft has another center helm boat there, he said it was a 33'. Did they ever sell the timeline boat from the last show?

I think I would have rather been at the Seattle show...
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Went to the mall portion today. Pretty sad. About one quarter full of boats. I wouldn't bother going unless you don't see what you want at the convention center.

Jrodgers,

You sound less than excited about it. I was going to take my new son down next weekend to show him the 29 Wooly and see if he can get mama to get him one. He's only 10 days old but he sure has alot of pull with his mama. Is it worth the visit.

Default Boat Show blues

Northway Mall is not really worth the time. One neat jon/landing craft. The Downtown portion is worth the five bucks to check out the new boats. (Well new and last years) Prices seemed similar to last year. Nothing earth shattering. Just always expect more I guess.

Was kinda hoping the Steve the pot builder would have been there.

Default Accessories?

Anybody selling accessories? Like downriggers, or anything? Dinghy's? Motors? Anything? Thanks.

Patrick,

Sorry to come across as down on it. I re-read it and I agree with the assesment. In your case I think you should go. If you wife is anything like mine, they are hard to get focused on the boats so you can see a bunch at one time there to give her a feel for what the options are, and to numb her up to the prices a bit. The 10 year old will have a great time getting t explore all of the boats.

Sasquatch,

There are some deal, but not a ton of gear. I think that happens more at the sportsman's show. Jim King is there with his inflatables, which I highly recommend, and there are a couple of other inflatable resellers there as well. A friend commented that he got a good deal on a small trailer there. was looking at a Kenai boat, and it didn't take long for the salesman to imply the boat show price still has some room in it, so I imagine there are some deals to be had.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Oh yea...

And there was a diesel inboard jetboat with a Hamilton that seemed pretty cool that I had not seen before.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Well I'd have alot more to talk about if he was a 10 year old. I meant to say 10 day old. That may sound young be every time we walk by the boat outside his eyes get huge. Then I was telling the wife we could sell the boat to save some money and he started crying. I think that's a clear sign that we need a bigger one

Thanks for the info though. Hopefully we'll be there next weekend. I can't wait to take a stroll around those wooldridges and hopefully a glaciercraft. One can always dream.

There were allot of people there today; much more so than the Northway Mall where there were just a few boats and little traffic. I secured more than my $7 worth (entry and parking) just in knowledge gained from a few select dealers (not to mention money spent at the show).

I saw the diesel inboard jetboat - quite a few talking about it during the day. I was more interested in the jet boats and spent a bit of time talking to Alaska Airboats about their UHMW bottom and custom aluminum work. Leonard seems to be a really good guy and took all the time with us we needed/wanted. It was also good to see Aztec's area so busy; they had much more foot traffic than another onsite vendor.

AMDS had both accessories and motors there and I saw some nice GPS units at another booth that were quite impressive. Hard as it was, I tried to walk away without spending anything but ended up buying an Instaboat and Honda 2 HP 4-Stroke Outboard from AMDS. It was to versatile to pass up and the outboard was basically free due to the sale price. Best part is the whole set up can be put in an airplane for remote use or easily hauled into a lake that would otherwise be unaccessible (only 75 lbs combined weight).
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Northway Mall is not really worth the time. One neat jon/landing craft. The Downtown portion is worth the five bucks to check out the new boats. (Well new and last years) Prices seemed similar to last year. Nothing earth shattering. Just always expect more I guess.

Was kinda hoping the Steve the pot builder would have been there.
    I don't have deep enough pockets to do all the shows but i'll be at the Wasilla, Anchorage, Fairbanks and Soldatna Outdoors Shows this spring. See you all there, i'm building every day to get stocked up.
    Steve da potbuilder

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Talking Soldatna Show

Steve do you know when the Soldatna show is. Want to get a couple of your pots.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

[QUOTE1
    AMDS had both accessories and motors there and I saw some nice GPS units at another booth that were quite impressive. Hard as it was, I tried to walk away without spending anything but ended up buying an Instaboat and Honda 2 HP 4-Stroke Outboard from AMDS. It was to versatile to pass up and the outboard was basically free due to the sale price. Best part is the whole set up can be put in an airplane for remote use or easily hauled into a lake that would otherwise be unaccessible (only 75 lbs combined weight).[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind my asking, how much was the 2 HP Honda? I've been looking at the Yamaha 2.5 for $895

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Steve do you know when the Soldatna show is. Want to get a couple of your pots.
    I hope i know when it is! It runs from April 30th to May 2nd. I've got a bit bigger booth this year and plan to have it plugged full of gear.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Talking

Thanks Steve. See you there.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

If you don't mind my asking, how much was the 2 HP Honda? I've been looking at the Yamaha 2.5 for $895
    The 2 HP honda was free with the package purchase. Retail I've seen them anywhere from $1200 down to $899 on sales here and there.

Retail on the Instaboat AMDS has is $1700 and the package at the boat show; boat and motor, was $1699. AMDS has two on site - one broke down flat, and one built with the motor to move around. That's one heck of a deal.

I didn't ask what the outboard sold for as a stand alone item.

Whats the story on the landing craft? I am probably going to get out of the boat game until the kids are bigger but a landing craft style boat will likely be in our future. Either a wooly or a riddle jet sled!

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I don't have deep enough pockets to do all the shows but i'll be at the Wasilla, Anchorage, Fairbanks and Soldatna Outdoors Shows this spring. See you all there, i'm building every day to get stocked up.
    Steve da potbuilder
    When is the one out in Wasilla? Anyone know?

dan

Have to say the boat show was a total waste of time. Northway Mall portion was even worse. Went looking to see some inboard jet rigs for moose hunting and Sea Marita did not even have one Sport Drifter on display. Sales gotta be wayyyyyyyyyy down as I seen some of the same boats in the dealers lot this past summer and they are still unsold. If the dealers are holding out for MSRP (or anywhere close to it) it will be a lean selling season for a lot of them.
    Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast