Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Alone - Pistol For Protection?

Default Fishing Alone - Pistol For Protection?

Those of you who know me know that I do not live in Alaska but have accepted a job in Anchorage and will be moving to Alaska in early May. I am a small female but I love to hunt and fish. I expect that I will do a lot of fishing alone. Do you experienced Alaskans think I would need to carry a pistol for self protection? I am mainly concerned with two legged varmits bent on robbery or rape.
    I currently live in Wisconsin and do carry a pistol to and from work with me when I work in a city but do not usually carry a pistol when fishing, unless it is my Buckmark .22 when there is a good chance of small game.

Quote Originally Posted by PMFB-RN View Post
    Those of you who know me know that I do not live in Alaska but have accepted a job in Anchorage and will be moving to Alaska in early May. I am a small female but I love to hunt and fish. I expect that I will do a lot of fishing alone. Do you experienced Alaskans think I would need to carry a pistol for self protection? I am mainly concerned with two legged varmits bent on robbery or rape.
    I currently live in Wisconsin and do carry a pistol to and from work with me when I work in a city but do not usually carry a pistol when fishing, unless it is my Buckmark .22 when there is a good chance of small game.
    It's a personal judgement call, just like whether or not to carry concealed in the urban enviroment. Personally, I'm more inclined to carry concealed in the greater LosAnchorage megalopolis than I am to carry a sidearm while fishing. That said, I don't tend to fish alone, and if I was to do so I would more often than not probably choose to carry. But then if I'm going to be in a really beary area, my prefered weapon is a short pistol grip pump shotgun with slugs. It all comes down to personal choice and comfort level.

Default What to carry for fishing

I always carry when fishing in Alaska, for the 2 legged and 4 legged visitors that are unwanted, never had to use one and I have been fishing in AK since 1969. I have been 5 feet from brown and black bears, lucky they did not reach out and touch me. I have been charged by brown bears, again lucky they did not get me. But my luck could run out any second so I will always carry. You must be aware of where you are and your surroundings I carry a 500 S&W, or a 44 Mag. most anything else will just make a bear mad. Possibly a 45 ACP well placed could slow one down. Having a good Fishing buddy is the best, the shotgun is also a good choice, when ever on Admiralty island I always carry a shotgun or rifle for the brown bears that are all over the place. Have fun, Fishing in Alaska is a blast. Gerberman

Have you guys read about, or seen news reports of attacks aginst women in rural areas? I don't mean domestic violence but women attacked by strangers? I am wondering if this is a not uncommon occurance. Here in Wisconsin it is extremely rare. I have never heard of such a case. Some of the nurses I work with have done travel assingments to Alaska and they report not feeling very safe, but there where in towns and didn't get to rural areas much.

Have you guys read about, or seen news reports of attacks aginst women in rural areas? I don't mean domestic violence but women attacked by strangers? I am wondering if this is a not uncommon occurance. Here in Wisconsin it is extremely rare. I have never heard of such a case. Some of the nurses I work with have done travel assingments to Alaska and they report not feeling very safe, but there where in towns and didn't get to rural areas much.
    I can't imagine there is going to be any significant statistical difference between places like LosAnchorage, Denver, Milwaukee, etc. I don't care for large urban populations anywhere, but I don't think Alaska is any different than any place else when it comes to bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I can't imagine there is going to be any significant statistical difference between places like LosAnchorage, Denver, Milwaukee, etc. I don't care for large urban populations anywhere, but I don't think Alaska is any different than any place else when it comes to bad guys.

I always carry, If you are the kind of person that has a spare tire and jack in your car and feel they might be needed, then you have your answer about the carrying of a firearm for protection. Do I feel like I need it all the time? Nor I can say I will need the jack or spare tire I carry either all the time.

It just beats the heck out of having it and not needing it, more so than needing it and not having it.

Had a friend that was shot in the abdomen just across the street from the Captain Cook in a parking lot by and armed gunmen in the act of robbing him. Did he need a handgun? He is a retired Alaskan State Trooper.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I feel very safe in the field here in AK. I feel very safe in town. I feel very safe in my home. This does not mean that I am safe nor does it mean something can't happen. I carry a firearm of some type all the time with the situation dictating the type of firearm and carry style. I normally carry concealed in town and the field, so I am the only one who ever knows which is just fine by me. Whether or not you need four legged protection depends upon where you fish and a few other circumstances, but I'd say that two legged protection is more likely and believe that it would add to your enjoyment of the outdoors. YMMV.

Well Alaska tops the list of stats in rape but I believe a lot of the numbers come from drinking mixed with Alaska native culture. In other words much of it happens to passed out or otherwise incapacitated people at parties or the homeless drinking camps in town. I'm sure not trying to diminish these crimes I'm just saying that the rape numbers are high but most are not the predatory type rape that immediately come to mind. Alaskans are great people as a rule but like anyplace we have bad folks here also. I would think your chances of seeing some predatory guy in the woods are lower here than where you are now but naturally there is always a chance. Predators tend to go where they know pray will be and here that’s the trail system. People walk/bike/ski the trails and there is cover nearby they can drag victims into so be aware of these kind of places.

I am very rarely unarmed no matter where I am and my wife is also but as said before it’s a personal choice. Moose are more likely to get you than bear since they live right with us in many towns and have little or no fear of people. They are not bad but you will have much more interaction with them which adds to the chance of a meeting gone bad, especially late in a winter with deep snow. Don’t worry though you will love it here if you are an outdoors type person and sure sounds like you are.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I think that's the point of freedom- the choice to carry or not within your comfort zone. I think you'll find that you're most comfortable carrying at first, then as places and people get more familiar you'll make your own choices between the need for carry and the hassle of doing so. Frankly I'm uncomfortable that our daughter chooses not to carry, though she's a foot taller than you and probably just as fit, judging by her high placing in iron man comps. Then there's the question of our gorgeous 10-year old granddaughter.......

Fortunately you have the right up here to carry if you choose. I will say that my mantra about carry though, is concealment. I just don't want anyone to know I'm doing it, feeling it is most effective when most invisible. My thing certainly, but I'm put off by folks who "accidentally" flash their carry- again and again and again.

I would say that if you have to ask the question, you probably should carry. A person with a security concern will often "transmit" the fear. Assuming you are proficient with the gun, you will enjoy your fishing experience more as you will be confident. I would be more concerned of 4 legged critters.

To me a carrying a gun is kinda like having a full tank of gas and a few extra gas cans. Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and wish like heck you had it. You may use it for yourself or to help out one in need. After all, its just a pound or two extra of weight depending on what you carry.

A little lady that loves to hunt and fish and she's headed your way. I think the responsible thing to do is to hook her up with a very nice gentleman sort that also loves to hunt and fish! Surely some of you old farts have sons that you reared up in a respectable manner that would show this little lady where the fish are!

I mean this in good taste.....I have three daughters!

Default good question

it is truely about personal choice. I carry anywhere I go in the woods for 4 legged problems... a .460 is my gun of choice for bear protection.

The weapon in town is a small 9mm for two legged protection.

Your friends who felt threatened or uncomfortable up here on medical assignments were likely doing itinerant work in the villages. there is a high rate of violence and DV in the bush, that added to culture shock/clash can easily lead to feelings of uncomfort in your environment.

I have been up here for lots of years and you dont really hear anything about women having issues with 2 legged predators while out in the field. Not saying it isn't possible but I'd be more worried about bear/moose.

Greg

Default Hiking and options ...

A woman who enjoys summer hiking in Fairbanks told about a day she was approached in an out-of-the-way area by a stranger, who for whatever reasons made her uncomfortable. This woman is a fit, sensible and level-headed person. But, she chose to "show" her pistol at the same time as announcing to the stranger that she was uncomfortable about him coming any closer. And that was that.

Situations like this may be more complex or not, I don't know, but on this day, for this woman, things went fine.

Where are you talking about fishing?

I haven't heard of many women being abducted from fishing streams. Actually, outside of Spenard, I haven't really heard of any female abductions.

I have fished with a few ladies who regularly fish this great state. None of them mentioned a concern with being abducted or raped.

I can't really give an opinion as I'm plumbed improperly to understand the dilemna.

I can tell you that the guys I fish with are far more polite with a fellow sportsman on a stream (who happens to be female) than they may be at the Sullivan Arena or at Humpy's.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Unfortunately the sad truth is that the remote villages in AK have the highest rate of sexual assault (per capita). Fairbanks is the worst city in the entire nation for for rape, Anchorage is number 9.

Here is some facts:

Alaska is the # 1 state in the country for Rape and has been for 23 out of the last 30 years (FBI’s Uniform Crime Report, http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm).

Alaska’s reported rate of rape per capita is 2.6 times the national average (FBI’s Uniform Crime Report, http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm).

Anchorage has the ninth highest sexual assault rate of any city in the United States, and Fairbanks is ranked first (FBI’s Uniform Crime Report, http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm).

Fairbanks’ rape rate is 4.7 times the national average (FBI’s Uniform Crime Report, http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm).
    http://justice.uaa.alaska.edu/vaw/20...ualassault.pdf

http://justice.uaa.alaska.edu/vaw/20...w-research.pdf

Jon, thanks for posting the information.

I haven't heard any reports of sexual aggression.

Understanding that most streams aren't in downtown Anchorage or downtown Fairbanks is important when you are discussing fishing.

In that case, please consider taking a member up on an offer of fishing, maybe with a family first.

My wife would almost certainly go fishing with you if it is a concern.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

It's better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Edit:
    Maybe I should read the whole thread next time so I don't repeat what has already been said.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'll point out since, as yet, no-one else has, "fishing alone" isn't that likely.

For example, fishing anywhere you can drive to, is normally crowded.

Fishing has become a family thing here in the Greatland. I'm talkin, Old Farts, (ladies and men) Youths, Mothers with kids, and Whole Families along with their Dawgs.

Someone in the crowd is usually packing some kind of Bear Medicine, whether you see it or not.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default I would think that it would be wise

to have someone to go to town with and leave town with if you live alone.
    Male or female , being well knownand communicating around town and choosing the people you associate with very carefully is especialy important . Being missed by some friend is a good thing , but not being missed any thing can happen to you because of 2 or for legged preditors.
    At a time when the econemy is getting worse the culture deterriorates.
    A gun works well if one is trained to use it correctly, not just because you have it . Many don't have the will or the skill, to use it when the time comes,,, Bad guys look for easy targets . lone targets, just like cats or wolves. Hunting or fishing on a hike camping, in town or what ever, think of how you present your self . If I am in a strange area I can't carry a gun I have a knife, if I can't carry a knife but must be there, , I form a plan .
    Even living in the city I teach people to have an emergency plan , what to do, If, and if you whole family is on the same page they know what your plan is and what is expected of them as well.
    Most people poo poo the idea , that is untill it is too late.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast