Thread: where to hunt.

Default where to hunt.

I will be moving up this summer and i was wondering about state land or where to hunt, like back home in michigan all state land is marked. what is it like there can you pretty much just pull off the road some where and go hunting as long as its not mark private. or is there just designated areas to hunt.
    I dont want to get in any argument for being on someones land.

Hi, and welcome to the forums. Good luck on your move this summer.

You're question is pretty vague to expect much in way of a meaningful answer. Think if someone asked you... "I'm going to be moving to Montana or Wyoming or Colorado or Idaho or Utah this summer. Any suggestions on where to hunt?"

We'll need some more info to really help you out. For a start:
    Where are you moving to?
    What species do you want to hunt for?
    Do you have an ATV? Boat? Plane?

To answer your initial question... you won't find state land marked. There are very few fences and signs. For that matter there are very few roads. Typically if you can drive there, it's going to see some hunting pressure. You can hunt state or federal land, outside of national parks. Private land may or may not be marked, but it not being marked doesn't give you permission to hunt there. You can hunt some native land with permission and possibly a trespass fee. You can't hunt some other native land. You need to know where you're at. It takes some effort to figure out.

You've got some time, so start doing your research. Start with the Alaska Department Fish & Game hunting regulations to get familiar with hunting units in the state and general regulations, seasons, permits, etc.
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...gulations.main

Here's a thread I started a while back that's got good info for hunters new to Alaska
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=homework

Get to know Google Earth.
    Here are some good GIS mapping websites.
    Click on "map interface" http://sdms.ak.blm.gov/sdms/
    Click on "go to online maps" http://www.alaskamapped.org/

It takes some time to figure out. Wade in right now and ask specific questions as you have them. There's a wealth of knowledge on these forums. Just don't ask for a good place to hunt sheep.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

and one other helpful hint. Find yourself a local mentor that has similar interests as you. That will be your most valuable tool when learning about hunting in Alaska. It's not impossible to do on your own, I'm not saying that.....it just helps!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

More good land linkage... http://www.landrecords.info/
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

And hope to god that you don't run in to the Rock_Skipper,

Some post him as an lib, some post him as a conservitive, and some an indepenent. ( and some just post him as crazy)

But I can tell you this, you will find out who he is when you meet him.

J/K, welcome to Alaska Mc.

You'll find alot of us like this, but don't ask about our hunting spots---lol.

Question hatcher pass

what about hatcher pass, i'm not asking for favroite hunting spot just a read on hatchers pass for black bear or moose?

Quote Originally Posted by bgauthierfamily View Post
    what about hatcher pass, i'm not asking for favroite hunting spot just a read on hatchers pass for black bear or moose?
    OK, you've posted in six different threads today about Hatcher Pass. Try starting a thread dedicated to that topic if you want information on it instead of posting it in unrelated threads.

In short, though, you can expect to find relatively scarce game and LOTS of hunting pressure in the Hatcher Pass area. Close + easy access = low odds of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

Some post him as an lib, some post him as a conservitive, and some an indepenent. ( and some just post him as crazy)

Sounds like you don’t care for him. He does seam like a ok guy the times we talked.
    I hope you can work out your problems, if not maybe the three of us can talk over a cup of coffee.
    By the way do you know of any good hunting area? If you tell me, I will not tell him you told me, it will be our secret.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

Rock_skipper,,,,, skip skip skip skip splash......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here