Thread: spey and centerpin

Default spey and centerpin

This year I want to get into one of the two disciplines listed above and was wondering what you guys would recommend? I mostly fish small water along the parks where neither of these would be very productive but they both interest me and I will be taking some trips to bigger rivers to steelhead fish and hopefully to the kenai to fish rainbows and dollies..

1. Which would you recommend? In terms of practicality and fun?

2. Is there a good set-up, rod/reel that you could recommend for either one? Not looking to break the bank but also don't want to get a cheapo set that I'll have to replace once I really get into the swing of it.

3. Any beginners tips for each of these methods would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

As a hardcore centerpinner for almost 30 years now I would say "Welcome to the dark side"

The best thing you can do to educate yourself about centerpins is to drop into World Wide Angler on Lk. Otis and talk to Keith.
    While swinging flies using a spey rod is fun, it's no where near as versitile and productive as a centerpin setup.

Best bang for the buck in CP rods are the Raven's, they also make a decent float reel as well.

If you end up getting a center pin setup try and stop by Fishapalooza in the fall and I can show you some stuff.

Default Rod and reel

Not trying to take away from the thread but Matt could you PM me I have some dusty things that need a home.

take a spey casting class, start with a skagit line
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks for your posts guys.

Monkey, do you know anywhere that gives spey lessons in AK?

Also mods, can you move this to the fly fishing forum, I mis-posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Thanks for your posts guys.

Monkey, do you know anywhere that gives spey lessons in AK?

Also mods, can you move this to the fly fishing forum, I mis-posted it.

It's not mis-posted Arno.
    Spey fishing and Center pinning are completely different.
    Reels, Rods, Line are completely different between the two styles of fishing.
    i.e. spey casting uses a specialty fly line as the line while float fishing with a center pin uses mono as the line. Casting is completely different as well as rigging. The only thing similar between the two is fron a distance the equipment looks similar.

Default Center pin

Listen to Drifter 106, he knows what he is talking about. I spent lots of time asking him questions on how to Center Pin and spent several days with him this fall, came home and sold most of my fly fishing gear. Have aught everything from Kings to graying on Center Pins setups, nothing can beat it.

Listen to Drifter??

Hah!! Smartazz Canadians, what good are they? Well, turns out, pretty good. Drifter turned me on to the centerpinning recently. Used it on the Upper Kenai in Sept, "Fishapalooza". As it happens to be, centerpinning is an extremely effective fishing technique. My catch rate went way up after I switched. I used my 7 wt the first day or two, then broke out the float rod. Can't tell you how easy it was after you get the basics down. Scary easy. Shoot me a PM if you want the VERY basics. Shoot the smartazz cannuck (Dave "Drifter") a PM if you want more info.

-Dan

Below are a few pics of my set up. An Islander Steelheader reel and a custom rod made from a 7/8 wt 12.5' spey blank. Cal West Custom Rods of California made the rod for me and did a great job. It has a spalted maple burl reel seat. The rod is four piece and travels well in the 42" Clear Creek tube I had made. I also had an extra tip section made up for it.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Took Daves Advice

Dan,

Those are some pretty pics. I had to go the lower budget route (till the summer when I'm hooked and spend a paycheck to upgrade).

I am now the proud owner of a 13' St. Croix Pin Rod and a Raven SST-2 reel. I traded in one of my other St. Croix's so the rod was only like 80 bucks. That is a great program and warranty they have.

I'm excited to try it out. I have a casting lesson all set up for April 3rd on the Kenai and will hopefully be hooking steelhead 2 weeks after that.

Thanks to Dave, and Dan and the others who helped me out.

Dang it. Dave and Dan pull another one to the dark side

Dave does know what he is talking about. He ruined Dan last year. I got to fish with them both and watch them in action. It took all of about 15 minutes of using his CP and Dan was toast. I dont think we will ever get him back on the light side

No matters, Dans wife Carrie will still out fish him no matter what rod or reel he is using
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I practice both regularly. Both are effective, both have advantages over regular fly rods.

When nymphing a centerpn you can get a much better drag free drift than a regual indy setup with a fly rod and a much longer one too boot.

spey casting allows you to cast big sink tips and big flies long distances with little room behind you and much less physical effort.

Both are very practical in alaska however i use centerpin rigs in a bigger variety of rivers from small to medium to large and break out the spey in medium rivers like the karluk or alagnak to large like kenai or naknek.

In terms of fun spey hands down. For me the tug is the drug and watching a bobber go down does not compare to a big salmon, trout or steelhead crushing your fly on the swing and casting a spey rod is an almost heavenly feeling for me

Default islander

Im a big fan of Islander reels

Who isn't

Those Islander Steelheader reels are something else man. Made more like a Swiss clock than a fishing reel. Amazing craftsmanship, fit and finish.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.