Thread: Someone to fly with

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Someone to fly with

I will try this again. Presently, I am out by Lake Clark until June. I am retired and in June, I am building a new cabin up by Skwentna. I am hoping to find someone with a plane who likes to hunt and fish and would like a partner now and then. I am willing to help with expenses. This would be good for both of us considering the prices today. Anyway, hope somebody out there will be interested.

ABR,

The photos make it look like you may be wintering at Vahalla Lodge?

GR

Quote Originally Posted by portagecreek View Post
    ABR,

The photos make it look like you may be wintering at Vahalla Lodge?

GR
    You're right, how do you know the place? I have been here 7 years.

Default might be tough

I have learned that if you have a plane everyone that doesn't wants to be your friend. Right off the bat you are stating that you want to use that to your benifit. I realize that you are offering to pay but that really isn't the point. By no means am I claimming to be an expert, but just a friendly suggestion that you may want to go about it in a different manner.

Default Well

That's right, you are not an expert because, I already have 3 offers. You see, the part you don't get is, this turns into friendships. Isn't this what this site is all about? That is one of the problems with some people, all they see is negativity.

Default tboehm

I see nothing wrong with what bushrat stated. I really don't understand your reply and I can tell you are a new pilot. Everyone will want to be your friend, until they find out what it cost.

Default Thanks

I am a winter Caretaker for a remote fishing lodge and have been doing this for over 20 years so, I know what the costs are for owning and operating an aircraft. I also know that, today the gas prices are astronomical and there are pilots who would like to fly as much as they can but, gas prices can limit them. So, I am sure they would welcome someone to help with gas and incidentals. I am not a user and have paid my own way through life. Even though I don't make tons of money. When I get my cabin built this summer, I will start on a guest cabin and if someone wanted to use it to hunt or just get away they are welcome to use it at no charge. That's the way "I ROLL", you see, I am old Alaska and not someone who expects something back. So, I hope this puts any idea that I am trying to use people. I don't want this thread to turn into a negative one. If someone likes my offer, fine. If you don't, just move on.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
    I am a winter Caretaker for a remote fishing lodge and have been doing this for over 20 years so, I know what the costs are for owning and operating an aircraft. I also know that, today the gas prices are astronomical and there are pilots who would like to fly as much as they can but, gas prices can limit them. So, I am sure they would welcome someone to help with gas and incidentals. I am not a user and have paid my own way through life. Even though I don't make tons of money. When I get my cabin built this summer, I will start on a guest cabin and if someone wanted to use it to hunt or just get away they are welcome to use it at no charge. That's the way "I ROLL", you see, I am old Alaska and not someone who expects something back. So, I hope this puts any idea that I am trying to use people. I don't want this thread to turn into a negative one. If someone likes my offer, fine. If you don't, just move on.
    I saw nothing wrong with your offer what so ever. In fact, if I had a plane I would be be happy to take it. Friend of mine had a plane and property in Skwentna, and I spent a entire summer of weekends helping him built his cabin.We fly out in his plane and stay in his cabin to hunt, so I helped him build it. Thats the way it works, as it should. I find it amusing tboehm made that "when you own a plane everyone wants to be your friend" crack, since he's had his pilots license all of 3 days.
    Also he's from NC, and clearly doesn't understand whats involved with Alaska hunting.

Default Hi Jim

Thanks, I can always use some help building. Maybe if you got a free weekend or two, you might want to give me a hand. Then, I get a new friend and you can always snowmachine up and visit or hunt.

Default Sorry

That's right, you are not an expert because, I already have 3 offers. You see, the part you don't get is, this turns into friendships. Isn't this what this site is all about? That is one of the problems with some people, all they see is negativity.
    I think that you may have taken my post in the wrong way. I wasn't stating that there was anything wrong with what you were trying to do and I'm glad to hear that you have had 3 offers. The fact is that aviation is a very expensive endevor and while I am a new pilot I have talked with and heard many state the point that I was trying to share with you in the hopes that you would look at what you were trying to accomplish and maybe approach it from a little bit of a different angle.

Let me restate that I am happy that you have found some success in the way that you did.

It just struck me as being a little sideways is all and that is mainly because of my pervious reasoning and statments. While it may be true that you are the greatest guy in the world and anyone would be lucky to have you as a friend, you are starting it off with the premise of a material object first and to me that is the wrong way to base a friendship. It's kind of like the old add for a wife....."Wife wanted...with a boat........send picture of boat."

Again, glad you found some help.. Fly safe.....

Default Grizzly 1

Thanks, I can always use some help building. Maybe if you got a free weekend or two, you might want to give me a hand. Then, I get a new friend and you can always snowmachine up and visit or hunt.
    Okay, okay, you guys. No fighting, please!

I've been flying for more than fifty years now, and it's true: when folks learn that you fly, they want to be your pal. That, however, isn't the point of this reply . . . . .

When you think of sharing costs with your pilot friend, don't forget his maintenance, the annual inspections, the tiedown costs, insurance, and finally - - - the amortization costs of his airplane (or its purchase price, if you'd rather). The costs climb well above that ten or twenty-gallons per hour of fuel use. If fuel and oil costs your pilot friend come to $60 or $70 an hour, let's say, will all the other costs add perhaps $150 per hour? Suddenly your "sharing" will come to maybe $100 per flying hour. You ready for that?

Or did your calculations of costs go only as far as the avgas used . . . ?

ABR,

I live up nearer Lake Clark Pass. The handle says it all. Started building the place in the mid '80s.

Usually, I am there from mid March until mid October.

I will be on BWs or skiis in March until the ice is out and then on floats.

Frankly, I am not looking for a partner, but never pass the chance to meet someone else in the area. I have no phone when in Lake Clark, but the internet still works most of the time. I'll try to stop by and talk this spring.

How is the ice? The camera on the bible camp makes it look iffy.

GR

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 1 View Post
    Okay, okay, you guys. No fighting, please!

I've been flying for more than fifty years now, and it's true: when folks learn that you fly, they want to be your pal. That, however, isn't the point of this reply . . . . .

When you think of sharing costs with your pilot friend, don't forget his maintenance, the annual inspections, the tiedown costs, insurance, and finally - - - the amortization costs of his airplane (or its purchase price, if you'd rather). The costs climb well above that ten or twenty-gallons per hour of fuel use. If fuel and oil costs your pilot friend come to $60 or $70 an hour, let's say, will all the other costs add perhaps $150 per hour? Suddenly your "sharing" will come to maybe $100 per flying hour. You ready for that?

Or did your calculations of costs go only as far as the avgas used . . . ?
    I don't think you really read his post. He also offered the use of the cabin in addition to splitting the flying expense's. Certainly to many pilots that Carry's it's own value, Maybe much more than a few extra $ at the end of the day. It's called barter. besides, owners want to fly their planes, and many would enjoy hooking up with someone with a mission willing to split expences rather than the aimless joyride they would have taken anyway.

Default OK Fellas

Like I said, I don't want to turn this thread into something negative. Sheesh, I said, I would share expenses. I thought the word expenses, means just that. Would those of you who have a problem with this message, be happy if I listed everything that goes along with maintaining an airplane? Like I said before, if you have an issue with my post, move on.

Hi Portage Creek:

I was just trying to narrow it down by Portage. The ice is great, couple of guys are using the lake but, are on wheels. Hardly any snow this year. Stop by anytime and your welcome to spend a night or two. I leave for Anchorage June 1st. I monitor CH10 on the VHF. I always have a pot of something on.

Thanks Jim, I wonder some times, if some of these people are the same people who surf Craigslist Rants and Raves so, they can analyze and tear someones post apart.

We are the Gypsy Wagon on channel 10.

Quote Originally Posted by portagecreek View Post
    We are the Gypsy Wagon on channel 10.
    O.K. now I know. I always hear you talking to Cemetary. I listen to the VHF but, not on it too much. Sometimes I turn it off when it gets crazy on there.