Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch more fish. Add a fishing tip.

Default Catch more fish. Add a fishing tip.

You can catch more fish by listening to other anglers share their experiences. Feel free to add a personal tip on catching more fish.
    one of my favorites is the less time your line is in the water the fewer fish you will catch. I have all my leaders tied up and with swivels attached to the end. if my line breaks I just need to tie my leader to my line and I am ready to go.

Number one on my list is to "observe" what other anglers (successful anglers) are doing while out on the water. Then take what you learn on every trip to continue to expand your knowledge of the various species that you plan on target. Watch what other successful anglers or someone that you know fishes that area on a regular basis are doing and try to match it. Things such as color selection, lure or hook size, water column being fished, type of water being fished, method being utilized, time of day or tide, depth, leader length, how much weight is being used, and so on.

I believe that there are very few accidents in regards to catching fish. For example, anyone ever see folks wade a little to far out while fishing for sockeye? Have you ever been king fishing on a river were it seems that a particular color spin glo or qwik fish are what everyone is hooking up with on that day? How about a certain color spinner that your buddy is using and he is slaying the coho and you are using the same brand & size spinner but in a different blade color and just cant get bit? Or you are using the sme everything but he is reeling a little fast or slower on the retrieve? Believe it that something as seemingly minor as this could make all the difference in a good or bad catching day.

Observation is by far the number thing in my book that everyone can and should do while out on the water.
    Last edited by iceblue; 01-29-2010 at 11:13. Reason: added word

Default Trolling

When I'm trolling with whole herring. I keep a box of tooth picks handy. Instead of trying to get the perfect bend in my herring by adjusting the hooks, I just bend the herring with my hand and shove a tooth pick in lengthwise. It saves a ton of time and you don't have to handle the herring as much.

I always check the sharpness of my hooks when pulling them out of the tackle box and spruce them up if they are not sharp. If I snag up, also check them before going back in. I always check/feel the first 2 feet of my fishing line to check for frays and re-tie if even remotely questionable.

Stick and stay, make it pay. If I'm on bait and or fish and their not biting, more then likely its just a matter of time until they do. I'm not leaving fish to go look for fish.
    If fishing herring, I bring alot and change it regularly. I'm a firm believer in, the best baits catch the most fish, if it doesn't have the killer roll, it gets replaced.

When you see someone who is knocking them dead don't be afraid to ask what they are doing. Most guys will gladly tell you and help you out.
    Too many guys sit there and stew and cast further and harder beating the water to a froth expecting to increase their catch.
    No different than the guy who refuses to pull into a gas station and ask for directions.

Don't be afraid to try different techniques, tossing a fly and getting nowhere switch it up and try a spinner, bottom bouncing a bead.
    I see alot of people who just because the last time they were out one thing worked but this time it doesn't and refuse to try something different.
    Be flexible.

Good beer always helps me catch fish Watch others, listen and as has been said. Dont be afriad to ask. I always love to help someone out. Especially those new to the sport. Seeing the smile on thier face when they catch a fish is priceless.

Unless your drifter. I wont tell him nor his dog nothing. The cant keep a secret LOL
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I fully agree with iceblue - watch other fishermen first. What the first poster mentioned about keeping your line in the water is generally true, with the exception of the first 15-30 minutes. If you spend the first block of time watching others, especially when fishing a new body of water or for a new species, that time spent will pay back dividends many times over. I still spend time watching others on rivers that I feel I know well. I still learn new things each time afield.

Walk farther than other people if fishing on foot. Way farther. This extra time will also pay dividends.

Bring a variety of colors, and don't be afraid to change, or go smaller, or add or subtract weight. Don't get "hooked" on using exactly what someone else is using, or what you read on the internet. Black or white or brown may work where the brightest pinks and chartreuses do not. Orange/pink combination may not work for years and then in some location it will be the only thing fish touch. You can't tell what fish will bite, by looking at them, the sky, or the stream.

I don't generally scout other fishermen, and especially not guides with clients, to see what they are doing, or move close to them as if that is the only place in the river with fish. I like figuring this sort of thing out myself; and I like to give people (and be given)space (especially if there is alot of it) to do so; that's part of the enjoyment of fishing - at least to me.

Try different times of year. Try different times of day, amazing what some cloud cover or sunshine at dusk will do for fishing.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I agree with most that I've read here; I've learned tons simply by observing what others' who are catching fish are doing. One of the best overall things I used to do with my dad when we fished largemouth bass in Souther California, was to make a game plan and stick to it.

Basically, we'd use all the info we had - water temp, recent reports, our own logbook, our last trip out, etc. - and formulate how we were going to fish from the get go. We'd have a first location, second, etc. Each succeeding location/technique would be based upon what happened at the previous one. A few fish then dead, try a similar place nearby. Nothing at all, try different structure, lures, water depth, etc.

My second biggest bass ever, a 10 pound 2 ouncer, I caught at 4:15 in the afternoon. We'd fished from 6:00 a.m. and had one 2 1/2 pound fish for our long effort. At 4:00 we were right where we had planned to be given all that had occurred durning the course of the day - and it paid off big. I'll always remember that.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Spend the extra money to use good hooks, and keep them sharp.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

You'll catch more fish when the game warden isn't around. This works when you have a buddy looking over his shoulder, as the "look out," and you are the one doing the fishing!

In all seriousness, I came across a fishing tip that I've never tried but read about years ago in Texas. Back in the day AOL would occassionally send free AOL disks through the mail in hopes prospective internet users would insert the shiny thing into their CD drives, download their "free trial" internet package and after the trial period was up, one would be inclined to sign up for their service. After a period of time, one would have a stack of 'em sitting on their desks, unopened and unused.

Smart marketing or good for fishing? One guy decided it was the latter. He took a few of the disks and strung 'em together and lowered into his favorite fishing hole. The reflective properties of the sun meeting the disks under water was claimed to attract fish.

Hmmmm...

Along the line of more time with tackle in the water means more fish:

Pre-season inspect all your rods, replaced damaged guides, put on fresh line. Organize your tackle, sharpen all hooks. Make up leaders and have arranged neatly to keep them from rats nesting. I've found foam pipe insulation makes for a cheap effective way to keep leaders ready to go.

During the season, takes notes of what worked, and what didn't. That'll help you out next season.

Default Second???

I've gotta second or third???, the tip about watching other people. Not just for what they are doing right, but what they are doing wrong.

I walked down to a particularly deep hole looking for kings one day with my wife(then girlfriend). She hadn't fished a lot so before we got to the hole we sat and watched the 8 or so people fishing. As we watched them fish I could see the fish rolling but nobody was catching anything. So I watched a little closer and noticed they were keeping their gear towards the top and the fish were all laying around near the bottom. So I told my wife, when we get down there let your gear sink for a second then start reeling in. We got down there and got into our spot and within 10 minutes we both had fish on the beach.

So I guess the moral of the story is to watch what is working, but also what is not working.

Default Tip

Love Many, Trust Few and Always Paddle Your own Canoe....

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    I've gotta second or third???, the tip about watching other people. Not just for what they are doing right, but what they are doing wrong.

I walked down to a particularly deep hole looking for kings one day with my wife(then girlfriend). She hadn't fished a lot so before we got to the hole we sat and watched the 8 or so people fishing. As we watched them fish I could see the fish rolling but nobody was catching anything. So I watched a little closer and noticed they were keeping their gear towards the top and the fish were all laying around near the bottom. So I told my wife, when we get down there let your gear sink for a second then start reeling in. We got down there and got into our spot and within 10 minutes we both had fish on the beach.

So I guess the moral of the story is to watch what is working, but also what is not working.

Did any of those 8 people come and ask you what you were doing different?

Default Read the Water

I am forever watching the surface area of any area I approach...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Sharp hooks are a must. Get away from the crowds if at all possible and never be afraid to try some thing different

Default Wait wait wait...

Far more fish are lost on the hookset swinging too early rather than too late.

Backtrolling, backbouncing, anchoring... with a downstream presentation... wait for the rod to completely load up BEFORE swinging for the moon.

Same for forward trolling.

Swinging flies or hardware in the river... wait until you just feel the weight/resistance of the fish against the rod. If in doubt about hardware ticking bottom, just reel a little faster. If it's a fish, he'll let you know in a sec.

Bobber fishing... wait for the float to go down and STAY down. Quickly reel up all the slack til the line comes tight to load the rod, then swing.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast