Thread: BOG Exotic animals

Default BOG Exotic animals

There are several proposals before the Board of Game this cycle to allow people to keep exotic animals in Alaska. The Daily News has complete coverage in today's paper and available on their web site ADN.COM. It doesn't make much sense to me to allow the importation of hybrid cats which have been proven to survive in the outdoors for weeks at a time - by eating whatever prey and handouts they come accross. A 20 lb+ cat could wreak havoc on native species and smaller pets if allowed to roam freely. The reason for having them boils down to "because I want to" and one proposal states that there are "hundreds" of hybrid cats currently living in Alaska.

Wallabies and othere exotics don't make a lot of sense either but at least they wouldn't survive an Alaskan winter so don't present the same threat to our ecosystem.

Capuchin monkeys make sense as helper animals for people with disabilities and should be allowed - but only to people who truly need them.....treat them just like service or seeing eye dogs.

Just my thoughts on these proposals. Am I alone in opposition to these or is anyone going to talk to the BOG in opposition? If you support them - why? and why should the rest of us?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

this has turned into quite the deal..... lots of time spent on this.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I figured it would. Seems a waste of time and resources for the board of game to deal with.....lots more important issues up this time.