Thread: .416 Barret

Default .416 Barret

Are these sniper rifles only or are people going to use them for hunting too? Over 10,000foot pounds at the muzzle and pretty impressive at 1,000 yards, still close to 3,000foot pounds and close to 2500fps still! I don't have one. Just curious.

Good luck finding any ammo for it. The bullets are custom turned on a lathe and I don't even think Barret has any ammo for sale right now. Intriguing cartridge, but I would have to say that no sane hunter is going to buy one just for a hunting rifle.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

i do know several guides that use 50 cal's...well their clients borrow their .50's for brown bear hunting..but like say, you can find ammo for those and its actually cheaper than store bought .416 rem ammo...geez
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i do know several guides that use 50 cal's...well their clients borrow their .50's for brown bear hunting..but like say, you can find ammo for those and its actually cheaper than store bought .416 rem ammo...geez
    That's AWESOME!!!!

I was thinking of using an 81mm mortar or a Mk19 next September. I also want to get some frag grenades in case of a bear charge from anywhere beyong about 40m or so.

I here they actually outperform 50bmg at anything past about 300 yards. An anti-marital/personal sniper rifle is kind of overkill for the next moose or bear hunt but would be a fun toy. To my knowledge it’s still experimental and not in production but of course Ronny Barret will be glad to build you one and the ammo for it if you got the bucks. I think the 416 is his boy’s invention if I remember correctly.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Only reason I was asking is because I had a guy call and want ammo. I was ready to order for him when his ammo showed up. Never got to talk to anyone but they were gonna allow me to buy their ammo. The .416barret is available now, rifles though I am not sure. I think custom order only and a couple grand. That is why he wanted the ammo first! To make sure it would be available and he didn't order a $5,000 rifle and not be able to use it! He plans on hunting with it!

Just what is the weight on one of those with 4 or 5 rds of ammo? I can't even imagine trying to carry that through the woods.

Default .416 Barrett

I thought the orginal purpose of the round was to get around the .50 BMG ban in the people's bankrupt republic of California.

I never did figure out why he didn't go to a .45 cal. since bulllets are more readily availaible etc.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I thought the orginal purpose of the round was to get around the .50 BMG ban in the people's bankrupt republic of California.

I never did figure out why he didn't go to a .45 cal. since bulllets are more readily availaible etc.
    Barret machines each bullet out of solid brass I think it is! No standard bullet there! You have to buy from Barret.

"That's AWESOME!!!!

I was thinking of using an 81mm mortar or a Mk19 next September. I also want to get some frag grenades in case of a bear charge from anywhere beyong about 40m or so."

You'd be better off with an M2 .50 cal. The MK19 will jam after 2 or 3 bursts. The M2 will shoot until the barrel melts off.

You should flash bang one, and then run up and slap it.

By the way, the average soldier can only throw a frag out to about 40m. For anything beyond that, you'd need an M203 with some HEDP.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

You are thinking of .50-DTC, a slightly modified 50bmg case to get around California laws.

416 Barrett is Barrett’s new 100% from scratch round they hope will replace the 50bmg as an anti-marital sniper round in the military. Its smaller yet packs more power past 300 yards and also has far better trajectory allowing even more accuracy and range than 50bmg. Being almost half the case size of 50bmb it fits in much smaller and lighter man portable rifles. Last I knew they had the prototype bolt guns all lined out and were in design phase of an all new semi auto sized for it. To look at the round you would never think it could compete with 50bmg but fact is the little thing is out doing the 50bmg.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The boys from Barrett showed up in Cordova about a year ago for a brown bear hunt with the .416 Barrett. I don't know if they killed anything, but I ran into them at Whiskey Ridge (local sporting goods store) and got to see the guns when they were picking them up. They shipped them to Whiskey Ridge and used Tom's FFL to keep it all legal. Pretty nice guys and one impressive looking firearm!!!