Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Laws

Default Gun Laws

I have been in the midwest now for a couple of weeks on busniess and am surprised on some of the gun laws here. I took in a very large gunshow so got to meet a lot of gun people and see a lot of guns. The things that surprised me were #1 here you can not mail a rifle or handgun to somone else, they said dont even consider trying to do it across state lines! #2 at the gun show you couldnt just buy a gun! they had to see a Mo. drivers lic and make a phone call to the feds! so guns must be registered right? In Canada I can mail a gun to anyone anywhere in the country no questions asked no paperwork no one cares! As long as you have an FAC you can buy a gun anywhere in the country even at gun shows no phone calls no hassles! It kind of surprised me I thought down here the laws were more liberal!

In the US every state has their own laws regarding firearms. I thought Montana was one of the most lenient. But transferring a firearm from one person to another across state lines requires going through a federally licensed firearms dealer. They charge a fee and the person at the receiving end goes through the same background process as if they were buying a new gun.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default GL

They do have CC here in MO and that is nice. I am assuming long guns are registered?? If they have a paper trail on the gun and then they have to call in to the feds the feds obvousily have a record of who owns the gun right? Thats what we call gun registration in Canada, and our Govt is getting rid of it. So from what I have seen Canada is a little more "gun friendly" when it comes to hunting rifles/shotguns. AR platform rifles are restricted (this means you can buy them but must shoot them at approved ranges) other semi autos including military versions like the CZ 858 are perfectly legal.

All guns are registered when bought new, but in some states it is legal to sell a long gun to another person who resides in that state without going through a firearms dealer. In that instance, the feds lose track. It can always be traced though. Sounds like Canada is more lenient in some areas, and more restrictive in others. How are they with handguns? I know it's a bad idea to try to transport a handgun through Canada.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default handgun

handguns are restricted in canada (that again means you can buy them, but need to take the restricted course, then you need a transport permit that is good for 2 years) you can shoots them at approved ranges and events only. You can also get a permit to carry handguns for self defense I had one for years and it was good for all remote regions of the Yukon, BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan. That being said I dont know many guides/trappers that dont carry one permit or not.

Yeah, I don't think a grizzly would stop his charge if you suddenly hollered "Wait, no fair! I don't have a handgun permit!".

hap

Uhhhh...........

Lots of misinformation here!

We do NOT have gun registration! Firearms are recorded on a transfer form (1140) which the dealer is required to maintain. The manufacturer also maintains records of what they built. Those records are not maintained in any central data base and they are not easily assembled by law enforcement or anyone else.

The call-in information is by law erased and is not allowed to be utilized for tracing or any other purpose. Of course they did save a bunch during the Clinton administration. As an FFL I occasionally get requests from BATF for a particular individual buying guns. There was one about a specific revolver with a specific serial number, but I may be misremembering.

Ohio intrastate laws are entirely the business of Ohio, but a quick review of published ordinances shows much of what you were told is not true.
    2923.22 for example exempts contiguous state interstate gun transfer bans, for example.

There is no ban on shipping within Ohio. The shippers may have empowered themselves to do their own thing, but it is not in the law.
    art

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Uhhhh...........

Lots of misinformation here!

We do NOT have gun registration! Firearms are recorded on a transfer form (1140) which the dealer is required to maintain. The manufacturer also maintains records of what they built. Those records are not maintained in any central data base and they are not easily assembled by law enforcement or anyone else.

The call-in information is by law erased and is not allowed to be utilized for tracing or any other purpose. Of course they did save a bunch during the Clinton administration. As an FFL I occasionally get requests from BATF for a particular individual buying guns. There was one about a specific revolver with a specific serial number, but I may be misremembering.

Ohio intrastate laws are entirely the business of Ohio, but a quick review of published ordinances shows much of what you were told is not true.
    2923.22 for example exempts contiguous state interstate gun transfer bans, for example.

There is no ban on shipping within Ohio. The shippers may have empowered themselves to do their own thing, but it is not in the law.
    art
    I'm afraid you're misinformed hap. Any law enforcement agency can look up any firearm and find out who it belongs to based on the serial number.

hap

Nope, that is absolutely 100% incorrect.

There is zero connection between serial numbers and the BATFE or any other law enforcement agency. They can go to the manufacturer and they can lead to the dealer, but to go beyond that a request must go to the dealer to search his records and forward any found info to the BATFE.

Any break in the records and there is simply no record. Used guns sold by dealers are just hanging out there with no info to or from them.

There is no serial number registry in the US and that is in point of fact illegal.

I have had an FFL for nearly 30 years...
    art

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Nope, that is absolutely 100% incorrect.

There is zero connection between serial numbers and the BATFE or any other law enforcement agency. They can go to the manufacturer and they can lead to the dealer, but to go beyond that a request must go to the dealer to search his records and forward any found info to the BATFE.

Any break in the records and there is simply no record. Used guns sold by dealers are just hanging out there with no info to or from them.

There is no serial number registry in the US and that is in point of fact illegal.

I have had an FFL for nearly 30 years...
    art
    Sorry, still wrong. I actually watched a county sherrif's deputy do it in California. I believe you have an FFL, but you are still misinformed about what police can do with relation to determining ownership of firearms. Maybe it's just a California thing. I wouldn't be surprised....

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    All guns are registered when bought new, but in some states it is legal to sell a long gun to another person who resides in that state without going through a firearms dealer. In that instance, the feds lose track. It can always be traced though. Sounds like Canada is more lenient in some areas, and more restrictive in others. How are they with handguns? I know it's a bad idea to try to transport a handgun through Canada.
    OK, now that my blood has stopped boiling, I'll try to respond respectfully. It is ILLEGAL for the feds to register and track gun purchases. Some communist municipalities such as Chicago require registration. If we as gun owners are not informed and believe that guns are registered already, then we will lie down when they propose to actually register them. PLEASE research this topic and go to NRA to find the facts.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

hap

If I knew as much as some I would be asking advice, not giving it...

hap

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    OK, now that my blood has stopped boiling, I'll try to respond respectfully. It is ILLEGAL for the feds to register and track gun purchases. Some communist municipalities such as Chicago require registration. If we as gun owners are not informed and believe that guns are registered already, then we will lie down when they propose to actually register them. PLEASE research this topic and go to NRA to find the facts.
    Blackfoot
    Excellent point!
    art

hap

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Sorry, still wrong. I actually watched a county sherrif's deputy do it in California. I believe you have an FFL, but you are still misinformed about what police can do with relation to determining ownership of firearms. Maybe it's just a California thing. I wouldn't be surprised....
    So, I have a number of firearms purchased from individuals. Many of them purchased from other individuals.

I will bet you anything you care to wager that your CA Deputy can not find any trace of those guns in any data base, anywhere, that leads to me.

I will bet a significant percentage of guns in CA fit that same pattern.
    art

Hap is correct the feds are barred by law from keeping records of gun ownership. His synopsis of how a trace works is dead on except that California (and maybe other states) has its own registry that went into effect back about 1999. I don't remember the details about California's federally unconstructional law but my nephew, sister, and thousands of others found it onerous enough to leave very good jobs to get out of there before they were required to resistor their guns when it went in.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default reg

I admit I know very little about state laws... I am in MO. not ohio. I do know this, I just went to a big gun show (over 1000 tables) there was not one table there that would sell anything unless you could show them a MO. drivers licence and fill out the forms they had (i didnt look at the forms as i couldnt buy anything anyway) If you go on gunbroker you will see ALL guns from every state must be shipped thru a FFL dealer. On registration I dont know what you call it but I had a MN police officer as a client a couple of years ago that said he could run a gun through his computer and tell where it came from. I see it like this.. if when you buy a gun they take the serial numbers, fill out forms or whatever they do, then if they need to find it they just come see you? If you sold it they just ask OK to who! They might tell you they are not keeping that info, but they are also telling you this new "health care bill" will save you money! Its close to canadas and believe me it aint free.

Default California

I agree on California! I was born there and went back last winter to some sports shows... After one trip into a gun store and trying to understand all the rules they had printed above the gun counter to any sorry soul interested in buying a gun I walked out! Cant imagine coping with that. I started this thread as it seems most dont understand Canadas gun laws and think they are very restrictive but that just isnt the case, in many ways we are far better off and less restrictive than many US states, then here I understand you have city ordinances you have to comply with and they can be different in each city?

I think this thread makes a good point about how uninformed we as gun owners are, and that is dangerous to our liberty. I hear all the time about how "I have a gun that was registered to so and so", or "How do I register my gun". WAKE UP!!! If you don't belong to the NRA and don't pay attention, please start now. We have been lulled to sleep over the last few years and the anti-gun lobby is just waiting until we are complacent to make their next move. Be informed, and be aware.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I agree on California! I was born there and went back last winter to some sports shows... After one trip into a gun store and trying to understand all the rules they had printed above the gun counter to any sorry soul interested in buying a gun I walked out! Cant imagine coping with that. I started this thread as it seems most dont understand Canadas gun laws and think they are very restrictive but that just isnt the case, in many ways we are far better off and less restrictive than many US states, then here I understand you have city ordinances you have to comply with and they can be different in each city?
    The reason you think Canada has less restrictive laws is cause once you all registered your guns, the government knows just who to go after. If they come to get your guns and you sold them to somebody else without letting them know, your in trouble. They confiscated guns just after registering them, so that tells you what registration does. Welcome to the USA, I pray you join us in keeping us from turning into Canada :-) The People's Republic of California is not a US State by my standards.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast