Thread: Kodiak Harbor Slips

Default Kodiak Harbor Slips

Are there monthly rental slips available in Kodiak? Say from August to December time frame for a 30' boat? Or even yearly ones? Or is it booked solid for a hundred years like Whittier? I'm overseas and can't call them at the present. Thanks.

Default open slips

I know there are plenty of good slips open to tie up your boat and get elec hooked up etc. right away

The way I understand it is there is a list for those wanting to permanently get a slip assigned to them, not real long though, I believe it is less than six months

If you brought a boat to Kodiak needing a place to tie up long term they will "hot bunk you" which is giving you a slip that someone else technically is using but is either out west fishing long term or is without a boat temporarily (When I lost my former boat in a storm they let me keep my slip lease for free for a year until I replaced the boat for example)
    Then you are on the list as a hot bunker until one comes available. They might have you move now and then as a hot bunker but eventually something will come up and you will get your own.

There are currently several slips around my boat,( 38ft long, the same general area you would need ), that are empty nearly all the time so I think you would get assigned your own pretty quickly and even as a hot bunker you could leave the boat in the place they put you without any worries

This is in the harbor on Near Island that has room, the town side, right in front of hardware stores and coffee shops, etc. may have a much longer waiting list. It's called Dog Bay or St. Hermans harbor and is over the bridge from town, a long walk but only five minutes from town central and MUCH nicer and quieter over there than the town side

Hope that helps

Default Helps

Thanks, Kodiakrain, that helps alot. I will call them next week when I get back, to get the specifics.

I just bought a boat, and from what I have been reading, the hunting is much better down there, versus PWS. I was thinking half the year in Whittier, and the Kenai, for the shrimping and fishing, then take it down there for the rest. Maybe get an old truck to use while there, if need be. How is the fishing down that way? Thanks, again.

Default Fish pretty solid

Pretty solid on the Halibut anyway, I don't do any Salmon trolling but hearing the scoop on the dock the kings were a little harder to find than usual last year. I do hear good stories of guys doing the "winter kings" chase in the cold. It's cold out on the water but fresh king sure sounds good in Feb doesn't it?

Let me know if you hear much different from the harbormaster about slip avail. I'd be curious what the status is on all these empty slips around mine. My boat is the Radiance, as I said 38ft and the size class yours is may be different than mine and that area may be a bit more crowded than mine.

There is also area to pull a boat your size if you had a trailer even guys who do it and block it for you (if no trailer) if you wanted to leave it for several months for cheaper than in the slips

You are gonna have some FUN, boats are the only way to go for soooo much good eating 'and chasing'

Sasquach,

Are you planning on running your boat over there, or using the ferry? I am curious as to how big of a deal a run to Kodiak is.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

After I bought my boat this last Spring, I did the hot slip thing from Jul to either Oct or Nov. My overall length in the water is 29', and I used two slips until I got my own over in the Dog Bay harbor.

jrogers,

I plan on running it over there. It's a 29'4" Stabicraft, so I figure it should make it. I'm new to this boating stuff, so I have to do some serious planning. But from looking at the AK Topo maps, it looks like you are never really too far from land. It looks like a nice trip. Just have to look for a couple of days of good weather, then haul ass.

Default watch the tides also

The run over to Kodiak can be a breeze but looks deceptively easy when you only look at the distance from land.

Make sure and watch the tides and get a nautical chart as well so you know when you are hitting shallower water. Tidal flow increases greatly in the shallows and you'll learn a lot just looking at them.

That area around the Barren Islands is one of the potentially craziest bodies of water in the state and mostly because of the huge amount of water flowing out of Cook Inlet.

Not to discourage you, it is very doable especially in your quick boat but try to work that passing (the Barrens part) at slack tide if you can and make sure you are in excellent mechanical shape, right

A real nice trip along Afognak /Shuyak and if it works for your plan go over and do Raspberry straits between Raspberry Island and Afognak, it's really cool in there.

Definitely run over though vs. the Ferry, You'll really have a good time

Default Barren Islands

Thanks, Kodiakrain. I plan on doing a couple of trips out of Homer down to the Barren Islands to snoop around before heading to Kodiak. I have been on a private boat, and a couple of charters, that got bounced around pretty good in that area.

The more I think about it, the more psyched I am getting about going down there. I certainly will cruise around and check the place out. But most of all, I realize it is a big undertaking, and will prepare accordingly.

Are there any areas on the island that are more inclined to have protected anchorages than other areas? Any books on the area like "Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound"? It looks like you are pretty much exposed to the weather all around the Island.

Also, where are the fish???

Default afognak island

I'm planning to head over and explore afognak and eventually get down to kodiak out of homer this year.

Default Protection

The most protected route or anchorages that work are pretty dependent on t he general direction of the wind,(or what is forecast, weather fronts travel from the west to east and always may come quicker than they say so listen to western forecasts to see what is really coming down the road)

If it is S,SEor Easterly weather you'll find protection and anchorages along the North end of Afognak and total cover thru Raspberry Strait and Whale Pass, If it is or will be predominately N, NW or Westerly weather (remember the wind actually blows "from" the direction they forecast not "towards" NW weather will come out of Katmai and Cook Inlet across the Shelikof and your best route then would be the southeastern shore of Shuyak and Afognak and across Marmot Bay.

Both routes have plenty of anchorages avail in accordance to the wind in the area. If flat calm and you can choose i would probably do the shelikof to Rasp straits for scenery and game spotting, Sea Otters, etc.

Don't know of any cruising guides, get a couple good charts or GOOD chart plotter cards or software (the cheaper and more excellent way to go even loaded on a laptop)for your electronics

Fish depend on time of year, I like the rockpiles in spring and summer look for ten fathom humps on the chart, other times they are not so shallow and just look for "edges" same as with animals in the woods either hanging on vegetation edges or ridge tops, Fish are doing the same things

Have Fun, Be Prepared and you won't have to fight off fear the whole time.

What's your electronics situation, little plotter or GPS, laptop w/gps input, or just open charts? It's not as spendy as you might imagine to have a setup than shows super cool charts as well as topo maps of the land you are passing, Lots of peace of mind knowing exactly where you are at all times.

Default electronics

Kodiakrain, thanks for the good info I have a raymarine 120 and like the sonar but it has poor chart details compared to my lowrance in my other boat, I carry a lap top computer and is there anything you would recommend? Thanks Steve.

Default navigation software

Yeah, I have Nobeltec VNR on my main computer, approx $500 for a system that shows really nice Topo maps of land features, (great for hunt or shore recon hiking planning,) the full navigational charts in NOAA database, and lots of other stuff to monitor your progress, tied into a simple GPS like Furuno GP 32 ($150 I think) serious amount of info for the price, there are even fairly decent aerial photos on this system !!

Also have a backup laptop with Maptech system, also around $500 a little bit more basic but all the charts you need for a large area,

You also have to buy the local chart CD to load onto either of these systems. For the PWS,Kodiak, I think the basic "Gulf of AK" CD covers a huge area, sorry can't remember the cost maybe $65-125$

Either one of those alone would stun you with the info and safety aspects to your cruising

Find them online at Nobeltec or Maptech

Cool thing about Software for a laptop is you can bring it home for planning and they all seem much better than the stuff made for plotters, I also have a Furuno 7000 plotter fishfinder and the best charts they produce and hardly ever look at the chart page on it except for backup