View Poll Results: How do you hunt spring black bears?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over bait

22 28.95%
  • Spot and stalk-road/trail system

20 26.32%
  • Spot and stalk-boat

30 39.47%
  • Stand/still hunting-no bait

4 5.26%

Thread: How do you hunt spring black bears?

Default How do you hunt spring black bears?

Just curious how everyone hunts spring black bear. I prefer spot and stalk hunting, but I was thinking about maybe giving baiting a try this year. What's your favorite way?

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

I wouldn't turn down an opportunity for any type of hunt, but left to my own resources I'd be doing the spot and stalk from a road or trail system. I don't have a boat and I'm not certified to run a bait station.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Getting cert for baiting is easy, baiting in my opinion just isn't hunting. It is predator control.

I to spot and stalk from trail, road or boat.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Thumbs up Spot & Stalk

Starting the first weekend in May...backpack off snow packed foot trails....south facing slopes where the snow melts off first...mostly spot and stalk flavor, with a hint of run and gun.

While baiting is appropriate for those that enjoy it, I do not sit well for long periods of time.

dennis

Spring bear hunting in Whitter is awesome
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Getting cert for baiting is easy, baiting in my opinion just isn't hunting. It is predator control.

I to spot and stalk from trail, road or boat.
    well it is some different up in the flat lands of the interior rick.. spot and stalk is spotted with in 15 yards on many occasions. with black spruce so thick and willow choked you won't get much of a stalk.. though there are areas you can get a good vantage and view bear... you will find that higher up here will yield more grizz then black..

though this poll is hard to do.. i picked bait but i do both as i have a pile of pelts from both bait and stalking.. My first two bears ever were stalked while driving to the bait stand... two nights i a row i never go the last 15 miles that was down in valdez area.

i like to call them in also. finding fresh tracks or spot one forageing in the eve. baiting is a ton of work.. I mean a TON of work, and in our environment really is the best way to be selective of the ones you take.
    you get to spot it as it steps out from the bush along side your stand ... don't forget that, it all results in the same ending for the bear
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I drive my snowgo up to a high hill or small mountain that has trees, and look around.

"Or" I'll go to a den, because I know where 1/2 dozen are, and wait above, so I can see if it has cubs or not.

Usually though, I hunt BrownBears in Spring because they taste great then and only then, and Blueberry fattend BlackBears in the mountains in August
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

i didn't vote, but it would be fly out spot and stalk
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My vote goes to spot and stalk via boat. Spring bears on the salt is a great way to get away from the daily grind. Shrimp, steaks, rock fish, halibut, and bears. It is tough to beat IMO.

We baited one season, years ago. It was fun watching all the bears, but way too much work and time for me.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

My vote went to bait.

My heart goes to spot & stalk in it's various forms.
    Between my work & family & I'm kept pretty busy & don't always get the hunting time I'd like (my choice, not a bossy wife). I have my bait station set up in a place I can check wiuthin 30 minutes of leaving the house. That makes baiting the practical thing for me.
    When I can I like to spot & stalk the highway/trail systems.
    I now have access to a seaworthy boat & would LOVE to get into spot & stalk boat hunting, but I know it is EXPENSIVE (fuel) & my disposable income is rather limited.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default bait for me

has anybody had anybody tried hatcher pass i've heard good things!

Fly out and stalk, from camp.

Terry

Cruising the beaches of Southeast in the evenings, finding a good one, and putting a stalk on him.

Default stand still hunting/no bait

My dad taught me the are of sitting in the right spot and waiting, no bait. I find this very successful. I never could get into the baiting, but might try it someday just to say I did. I've never had much luck hunting anything while sitting in some other mode of getting around other then my feet, but I do keep trying!

My style is more sit and wait in a likely spot, at least a half mile from a trail or road. Many times stalk them after I spot them from my spot.

Even when moving, my dad would only take 3 steps, stop and slowly look around, then repeat again and again. Drove me nuts as a kid, but probably not as much as I drove him nuts! He was a highly successful hunter for all critters. I haven't got to that level of patience, but maybe someday.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Actually, I might end up doing both, I am thinking about baiting locally and also doing a drop off in PWS. Spot and stalk is definetly the most enjoyable way to hunt for me, but there is something to be said about sitting up in a stand and being able to watch animals up, close and personal.

I grew up hunting from a stand, and some of the things I saw animals do was absolutely amazing, and more entertaining than anything I will ever see at the theatre.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear