Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot info for young'n

Default Pilot info for young'n

I am moving back to anchorage july 15th and going to school full time for my master's or phd in fishery sciences and i really want to get my pilot's liscence... i have a friend with the fish and game that can get me a bunch of free flight hours.... i was curious on what it takes time wise and cost and how everything works on getting your pilot's liscence... someone also told me with my being a military dependent i can save some money by going on elmendorf AFB and doing it..... any information would be great... i really have limited knowledge due to the parents getting orders to las vegas the past threee years.... dangit i hate this place..... thANKs again

vegas - Well, I won't be much help as far as cost is concerned, as I got mine through a CFI family friend and didn't have to rent a plane, but I know it's quite expensive. As far as time is concerned, your first step is ground school. There are a number of different options, but I did mine through UAA. It was a semester-length class, two nights a week for an hour and 15 minutes. You could start your flight time before finishing ground school, but I waited. As for flight time, you need a minimum of 40 hours before taking your exam - 20 hours of dual instruction, 20 hours of solo flight time. I had 43 when I took the exam, but I think the average is more like 60. There are more details, but those are the basics.

Off topic, but where are you getting your fisheries science degree? Are you going through UAF's Anchorage extension? UAA doesn't offer such a degree, so...UAF? If so, I know one of the professors...great guy.

Good luck with the flying!

-Brian

Is there a connection between your friend working at F&G and him getting you free flying time? Is that free dual or solo? The air base probably has a flying club with their own planes you can rent.
    There's plenty of flying and airplanes around vegas. Why didn't you get interested there?

well i am going to uaa for my core classes... then in 2 years i am going to uaf for fisheries.. im excited.... well i will look int othat flying class at uaa... i could use it as an elective... awesome thanks for the info.. i definately want to get that and start getting some flying ime... and the time will be dual with the f&g guy. yea he does a lot of bush planes because he works in the boondocks on bears and wolves and wolverines and all of that cool stuff...

The term "dual" refers to instruction from a licensed CFI. Are you saying your F&G friend is a CFI and is going to instruct you while you and he are flying in an ADF&G plane?

thnks annd yes it would be dual.

Are you sure about this? Might want to check with your friend. Sounds a little odd that the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game would allow one of their employees to give flight instruction on their time in their airplane. Isn't he supposed to be looking for bears or something?

Default price

what am i looking at for price to get my licence?? i was told low end 4.5k high end 8k. does that sound like that is right or should i count on something else... thanks

Default cost of a private..

Been a long time since I gave dual, but to me 4500 seems about right. A lot of variables to consider, mostly concerning your committment to the training. But
    you should figure on at least 60 hours including your checkride.

Default Costs

I would plan on about 50 hours total time. probably 1/2 solo and 1/2 dual. It costs between 4500-5000 (depends on the price of gas too) and that is if you actually commit to getting your license and finish it in a reasonable time.

If you can get on base, there is the Elmendorf Aeroclub. It is considerably cheaper and they have excellent instructors. MT is correct; your ADF&G friend probably won't be teaching you in an ADF&G plane on his own time!

Tim

Well, I suppose Ill throw some more poket change into the kitty;

My scientifically researched and private comparison lab results are as follows:
    Find and old guy! Simply put, aviation is a self cleansing gene pool, and deductive reasoning will tell you that old pilots didnt age because they dont know what they are doing.
    A couple of more points to ponder here;
    Just becuase some one is a great pilot, doesnt mean they are a great instructor. Flying skills and educational teaching skills are two different beasts. Find someone who can both stick an airplane and effectivally communicate to you the process.
    I not here to bash anyones opinions, but Im a tad interested in the comment of the Elmendorf Aero Club having excellent instructors.
    Reasoning you ask? Well, the EAFB is cheaper, but one reason is that they offer the lowest wages to their CFI's. Again, simple reasoning will tell you that this attracts the bottom end of those qualified as well as the significant turnover rate caused by such. I know numerous individuals (matter of fact, Id dare say the majority of students there have) who have had to switch instructors once, twice, & more during their training due to instructors leaving for better jobs. But enough about the EAFB.
    Do yourself a favor, and become an airport bum. If you desire flight enough, you'll have no problem spending free time hanging around Birchwood and the like. You will find that if your patient, this will pay dividends, as the aviation community is small. Everyone knows someone who can point you in the right direction.
    Okay, Im now stepping off my soap box.

-Tailwinds,
    Tony
    9009L
    Cant believe I almost forgot; If you havent figured it out, flying is @%$##%* expensive. Best thing you can do, is get over it!

Default Tony's advice...

is right on. However, It's getting harder and harder to find experienced flight instructors with their own airplanes. Being an airport bum is a good way to find one though. I grew up on Merrill Field and knew some of the very best pilots there ever were...but many of them couldnt teach their own dogs to sit. If you can find a guy, (or lady!) that has some REAL piloting experience and isnt totally impressed by it, is willing to take the time to really teach you what you need to know (not just staringat their watches or hobbsmeters), and you LIKE them, stick with them. Believe it or not, there are some folks like this at the local flight schools, but you generally have to abide by the schools curriculum and rules rather than the preferences of the instructors. You might look up Arctic Flyers and talk to Heidi Ruess. They do it right and have for a very long time. 243-3953 They are on Lake Hood. You may not be wanting to fly in Anchorage but she will give you a very realistic idea of what you can expect in your training these days. Hope this helps a little.

awesome... once i get up there i will get in touch with them.. i am looking to take my grounds training next semester at uaa..( is that a good way to go at it.) i can get an elective credit and get my training at a fair price at the same time) so that sounds good to me... but thanks for all the info

Default ground school..

UAA is a great way to get formal ground school, especially if you get college credit for it. I did mine at 15 in high school, THEN at our local community college where I took my written. My advice is to get a written test study guide (all the FAA q's and a's) and a set of FAR's and start the learning process at home. The guides will give you reference's as to where they're getting their question info from. Part 1, 61, and 91 will likely be of most importance to you. Also, you might consider getting your student pilot license/ 3rd class physical exam out of the way now. Better to find out if you have someone wrong with you now, then later. But if you're basically healthy and dont have TOO many bad habits you should be fine. You will need one prior to solo anyway.

***If you get a book of FAR's, (regs) make sure you get the book with the AIM (airman's information manual in the back.) Many FAA questions are straight out of the AIM. As a professional pilot, I use it to look up SOMETHING at least once a week.

Default ground school info...

One more thing Vegas now that Im thinking about it. You can get these study guides online or even at your local Border's or the like. I personally have used both ASA and the Gleim series to study with. I used the Gleim book for my flight engineer written about 15 years ago and loved it! Here's a link for you to check out.

www.gleim.com

good luck!

ok soo what link exactly am i looking for on this gleim website.... also i have zero knowledge on planes, flying or anything of the sort. where should i start so i dont look like a total idiot when i walk into this class???? thanks again you guys... vegas

Talking akpride...

You wont look like an idiot. The only ones who will are the ones who think they know everything and wont shut their faces. LOL

try this link...

http://www.gleim.com/products/produc...php?proID=5658

haha awesome i will pick up this book and get ta reading. i will need something to read on the drive up to alaska anyways.. and one last time thanks

Default update

well i wanted to give you all an update on my plans. well im up in anchorage finally and i got a job on lake hood working at alaska aircraft sales and maintenance. im a mechanics assistant. it is a blast because i get to wrench on planes all day and im learning alot. but anyways i will be getting up in the air here soon. i should be starting my grounds traing in the next few months. im just super busy right now. but i will be getting my a p license/cerification. im going to go the 3 years of experience route. but im super excited about my job out on lage hood. and i wanted to say thanks for the info a while back... vance

Your original post said your going to college for your masters or PHD. Now your going to work as a mechs helper for the next 3 years? Quite the change. Good luck!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast