Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harding Lake Secrets

Question Harding Lake Secrets

So....

Does anyone know the secret to catching the biggest, most massive lake trout and burbot in Harding Lake?

Location? - near the inlet?

Depth? - 20-60'?

Lures? - where can you but whitefish in fairbanks? Spoons, eggs, herring/smelt, an old boot?

Time? Now?

Quote Originally Posted by akgeoengineer View Post
    So....

Does anyone know the secret to catching the biggest, most massive lake trout and burbot in Harding Lake?

Location? - near the inlet?

Depth? - 20-60'?

Lures? - where can you but whitefish in fairbanks? Spoons, eggs, herring/smelt, an old boot?

Time? Now?
    Yes, go during a chinook wind....

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_vid...a11331e7c00e73

Just Kidding, I really have no idea, I have never caught a fish out of there. It would probably help if you had a vexlar or something similar. I know this guy on Iceshanty who caught a nice Char out of there this year, but you are definitely looking at putting in some hours to catch anything out of there, IMO..

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

u mean fish like this?

time time time!!! and once you figure it out..DONT TELL A SOLE! I hate to say it..but this is one fishery I'm pretty tight lipped about!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Throw em back, eh

I wouldn't keep anything that size...

I going for my first shot on Saturday.

Might just see you there..........

Beautiful fish

A little hint.....Find out when TradBow is going fishing and tell him you'll be out there the day after.....

Look for his holes!!!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    A little hint.....Find out when TradBow is going fishing and tell him you'll be out there the day after.....

Look for his holes!!!
    Yeah, he told me once not to bring cameras if we ever go fishing together. I'm thinking I know why....

Sweet Fish Man!

Fish On!

oh I dont keep those fish....I did keep a laker once just to see how they tasted...ironically after being here for quite a few years I finally got to go home (MN) and try the smoked lakers my dad has talked about for years. yummmmy! Besides most of us have enough salmon in the freezers we dont need to be hammering this lake or other laker lakes.

Those fish...are old old fish! I dont advocate keeping them on a regular basis at all..but to each their own. Realize a 30lb laker out of harding easily could be pushign the 30+ year mark. With a slow repoduction cycle on top of a poor repoduction success, the lakers could easily go the life of the pike in this lake if we're not careful, and recovery could take well past our lifetimes. Harvest wisely!

Find my holes LOL! Looks like I'll have to drill a bunch of dummy holes now..gotta love smarta@@'s! Funny thing is I cant tell you how many time's it's happened.

Bigc...NO CAMERAS!

I learned on this lake becareful who you tell and what you tell them. We've fished from the north end to the south end..we've spent many hours and many days poking holes all over the lake. They are really where you find them. LIke anywhere else lake trout fishing be prepared to drill many holes till you find fish. And obviously dont be afraid to move! What we use...anything will work, stinky boot soles, nails, gernades..oh oh lures...yup they work too..bait...hmm I've heard they work but you dont need it. I wouldnt use it if you dont plan on releasing fish. Fish have a tendancy to take deeper using bait more often then using artificials.

Lake trout are like caribou, they are where you find them..it could be 10 fow it could be 130 fow right on the bottom.

Good luck! and like I said becareful what you share and who you share it with! JMHO but I'd hate to loose this lake due to over fishing of the lakers, a road it's been going for a number of years.

ps if you didnt notice those are char not lakers I posted.....snap a pic as fast as you can and let them go before the slime freezes! We've seen a bunch of fish damaged due to poor handling!!!!

TradBow,

I don't have a smartA@@! I'd get a headache each time I sat down!

I was probably fishing Harding lake before any of you were thought of. (kidding) I have a photo of me somewhere, 3 years old holding up the world record fish caught by us that year. It was all of an inch long and actually caught on a lure! Harding has always been a hard catch...even 40 years ago!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Harding Lake...Secrets?

The secret is go often and move around when your there if you want to catch a fish.

A person could catch a big fish out of the lake the first time ever out there, in 10 minutes of fishing. That makes them just lucky IMO. Same if you go out there a lot more, just increases your odds. No secrets just lots of time and lots of moving if you are not marking fish with your transducer.

The lake grows big fish because its deep, food source available, and the low pressure. (This is not the Russian River by any means) It takes a good while for the fish to reach the size they are.

The lake is not a easy access in the summer with a boat or as popular as the other lakes along the highway during either summer or winter season. There are no rentable ice huts or cabins like the other more popular lakes along the highway (Chena, Birch, Quartz) Ice fishing is not big enough in popularity and you are ever going to see more an a half dozen people on the lake any given day. Folks are not going to drive from Anchorage to fish out the lake...like they do to the Kenai. Contour maps of the lake are availble, its not a big secret.

Furthers the mystic about its treasures. Lake trout...yes, artic char...yes big ones yes....

bring bait and lures, electronics and patience....you will only catch a fish there if your lucky. Hence the term fishing at this lake...not catching. Thats a lot of water to cover verticallyin the winter and I believe your success will be limited, the fish win more often than the angler.

I have fished the lake in-frequently. trolling and ice fishing. Granted I am not a guide or an expert, and I have caught a few fish in Alaska, however only the unintentional pike out of Harding for me.

I believe if I caught a nice fish at the lake, share the location, depth, and bait used it would still be difficult to duplicate the catch. Water is just to big. Guess until I catch the big fish I will not be able to try it...BigCox should come up and help me try it a couple days?

Tradbow wont take me cause I like to take too many pictures...
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I'll take ya jedi....but you'll be blindfolded, handcuffed and maybe gagged on the way out haha. Oh and the house stays up, no pics outside!

Was out there last week. I'll post some pics when I get home (at work right now. 3 more days of weekend nites, then swapping to weekday nites yay!)

I definatly dont consider catching fish in harding luck....all fishing has luck thrown in for good measure as you're well aware......but there is a small group of guys I see out there consistently catching fish on a regular basis. Maybe not everyday, but they do it often enough, I pay attn to what they're doing!

I have been skunked every time out to Harding. Seems like a tough lake to fish unless you really know it. I have tried maybe 6-7 times, both on ice and trolling. I have yet to catch a laker any where, let alone Harding, so I might be jinxed or just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    I have been skunked every time out to Harding. Seems like a tough lake to fish unless you really know it. I have tried maybe 6-7 times, both on ice and trolling. I have yet to catch a laker any where, let alone Harding, so I might be jinxed or just dumb.
    Welcome to Lake Trout fishing. They sure can make you feel stupid.It is not just on Harding either.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I believe if I caught a nice fish at the lake, share the location, depth, and bait used it would still be difficult to duplicate the catch. Water is just to big. Guess until I catch the big fish I will not be able to try it...BigCox should come up and help me try it a couple days?

Tradbow wont take me cause I like to take too many pictures...
    Oh right, I definitely wouldn't drive 6 hours to go fish that Skunk Water. Maybe if I was jamming out to Teenage Wasteland, haha...I would just love to see a fish caught out of there in person.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I'll take ya jedi....but you'll be blindfolded, handcuffed and maybe gagged on the way out haha. Oh and the house stays up, no pics outside!
    Haha, somebody is camera shy!
    Now I probably would consider going out to Harding if I was with somebody that has caught something out of there. Like Akshrop said, I have also been skunked everytime I've been to that lake.

Fish On!

Thumbs down Skunked

I went, I saw, I got conquered.

Fished 15-50' of water along the north shore, hiked a couple of miles, did not drive. Drilled many holes, no fish on sonar. Spoons, gobys, squids, herring, not a sniff.

It was a test of our patience, probably a dozen other fools on the ice.

I may have to head to Crosswind for some training...and Harding will be the ultimate test of my hardwater prowess.

Keep posting pictures, ones that do not show location of course. They keep my motovation up....

Quote Originally Posted by akgeoengineer View Post
    I went, I saw, I got conquered.

Fished 15-50' of water along the north shore, hiked a couple of miles, did not drive. Drilled many holes, no fish on sonar. Spoons, gobys, squids, herring, not a sniff.

It was a test of our patience, probably a dozen other fools on the ice.

I may have to head to Crosswind for some training...and Harding will be the ultimate test of my hardwater prowess.

Keep posting pictures, ones that do not show location of course. They keep my motovation up....
    Whatever you do.... don't look here...

http://www.forums.outdoorsdirectory....ad.php?t=72731

Mike

Back in the late 70s I was jigging for Lakers in Harding using an airplane jig with a strip of fish on the back of it. I was looking down into the water fishing maybe 12 to 15 feet down when I saw an absolutely huge laker inches from by jig. When I would jig it he would back off. When I let it set he would come to several inches away from the bait. I tried slowly spinning the jig just barely wiggling it to no avail. After a couple of minutes of this he was gone under the ice to who knows where? My heart was really racing on that one. I still am not sure to this day that it wasn't more exciting the way it turned out than if he would have just grabbed the jig in the first place. After 30 years I still remember that fish just as much as if I had caught it. I hope it spawned a lot of young and died of old age because back in those days I would have killed that fish for sure.

Seriously, after 40 years of knowing the Harding lake pout...I'd haunt tradbow if I were you guys.

lol huntress...you'll have to drag me to get me back out...busy busy schedule! It'll be a little while before I get back out. So come on over for a beer and pizza instead...I'll gladly share that recipe

I've only fished it a few times and the best I've done was to see a nice fish taunting me like in contender's story.

I'd definitely fish it more - skunk or not - but it's way past the patience level of my 6 and 8 year old kids! Nice warm ice house on birch is perfect for now even if there aren't any big fish.

how IS birch doing? I have a 7 yr old I'm going to be taking out a few times next week. Was going to start at chena lakes....see how he does in the fish house..then make the run to birch. I dont normally fish it though the couple times we have we've done well. Have heard it's been a tough year this winter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast