Thread: Cross Country Skiing & bunny hunting?

Default Cross Country Skiing & bunny hunting?

I'm trying to find somewhere close to the road where I can strap my .410 across my back and take my soon to be 7 year old and 10 year old cross country skiing (or snowshoeing) and rabbit hunting. I'm thinking about heading up the Glenn (from Anchorage) somewhere.

Any ideas? Do I have any options on the Seward Highway?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tim

Can you shoot bunnies at 20 mile? It's raining down there right now.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Can't tell you about destinations in your area, because I just don't know.

But I can offer a bit of sage advice garnered from a lot of bunny hunts on skis and snowshoes:

Plan for the dead bunny in the deep brush. You're likely to have to shed your skis to retrieve it, and snowshoes are only a little better, provided their the smaller, hi tech plastic ones. Traditional wood and rawhide shoes tangle worse than skis.

No help for it with either when the tangles are thick and the snow is deep. Now and then you're going to have to get off and "swim" for your bunnies.

Default Johnson Pass

I know a while back I did just that in Johnson Pass down the Seward Highway. Double check the current regs to make sure but there is some awsome scenery around there even if you don't seen any animals.

Johnson Pass is a good idea. I was trying to think of a trail as I know I won't be bushwhacking on skiis.

Tim

went up the glenn couple of weeks ago.....never seen so many tracks...enuf said. plenty of areas to get out with your ski's...

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I'm trying to find somewhere close to the road where I can strap my .410 across my back and take my soon to be 7 year old and 10 year old cross country skiing (or snowshoeing) and rabbit hunting. I'm thinking about heading up the Glenn (from Anchorage) somewhere.
    You will find rabbits in that direction. I would bring the snowshoes, there is an established, groomed trail full of hares up there, but most of the area would be better covered on shoes.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Can anyone give me an idea on how far up the Glenn to find bunnies. I would like to take the wife this week. We haven't driven the Glenn since we arrived in AK.

Anywhere between milepost 83 on up to the lake louise cut off is good.Just be aware of the private property around the glacier and a lil past that..Seems to be where all the rabbits hang out,imagine that...