Thread: 200 grain tipped TSX .30 cal

Default 200 grain tipped TSX .30 cal

Barnes just sent me 150 (3 boxes) of .30 cal 200 grain TTSX bullets. I ordered them several months ago after talking to one of their reps on the phone.

He suggested starting with the 200g TSX load data in the Barnes manual. These are very new offerings from Barnes. The bullets aren't even on the web sight yet.

Anybody heard rumors or have experience with them. I plan to try them in my 300 RUM.

Default 200 ttsx

David,

Can you give us the specs on this new bullet? Ballistic Coefficient, sectional density, velocity?

Thanks

No because I don't have them. Barnes did not either when I ordered them. He said the BC would be in the .5?? range. The bullets are not mentioned anyplace on the web sight that I can find. The only thing mentioned was the bullet needs a 1:10 twist or faster, makes sense. The 300 RUM model 700 is 1:10 so I am good to go. I was hoping somebody had some experience with them, I guess not. I will be loading some in the next 1-2 weeks to shoot in early Feb. I will post some range reports if I can then.

I am hoping for 3150 fps or so velocities to compete with my 200g accubond loads. I would like a flat shooting bullet that does not have as much of a chance at turning into a grenade at close ranges. I love the performance of Barnes bullets on game I have shot so far. I can't get the 180g TTSX or 200 TSX FB to shoot out of my gun yet. The 165 TSX shoots real good, but may be a bit lighter than I want for close up work in grizzly country if the need arises. I like the heavier bullet for the 300 RUM for windage as well.

Really, it just gives me a chance to load some more and play with the big toy. It is a fun cartridge to load for.
    Last edited by Daved; 02-11-2010 at 23:12. Reason: RUM not REM

Data for Barnes TTSX. I also have a box of TTSX, found this on their site.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...ed-tsx-bullet/

Steve

Thanks for the link stid.

Barnes does not have their new 2010 products listed yet. You can buy the bullets, but there is no info on length of the bullet, BC or load data. The "New for 2010" sight has the new 2009 stuff.

I loaded some up and they are REALLY long. I used Ramshot Magnum powder instead of RL25 or Retumbo to increase the room in the case. I started low and am working up of course with the 200g TSX FB data. I would not think they would work well in all the .30 cartridges like the .308 win and 30-06.

I think I will be at the range in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Thanks for the link stid.

Barnes does not have their new 2010 products listed yet. You can buy the bullets, but there is no info on length of the bullet, BC or load data. The "New for 2010" sight has the new 2009 stuff.

I loaded some up and they are REALLY long. I used Ramshot Magnum powder instead of RL25 or Retumbo to increase the room in the case. I started low and am working up of course with the 200g TSX FB data. I would not think they would work well in all the .30 cartridges like the .308 win and 30-06.

I think I will be at the range in a couple of weeks.
    Right. And for over a year, they have not listed a B.C. for their 250gr .338 MRX bullet: http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/mrx-bullet/ I keep wondering how long it takes them to figure it out.

Default 200g .308 TTSX

These sound like they would be the bomb in the RUM.
    Hope they do well.

Default range report

I took the new 200g TTSX bullets out for a test spin with the 300 RUM. The bullets chronied 3100 to 3200 as I worked up the loads using Ramshot Magnum and Federal Primers. I was very pleased with the velocities. The groupings were AWEFUL, never better than 3 inches with four shots. So, who cares how fast they went. I will try other primers and powders in the next couple of weeks.

I am shooting 180 E-Tips @ 3400 fps in front of 97.5 gr of Retumbo in my 300 RUM and accuraccy is a consistant sub .5 MOA to 427 yds so far when the bore isn't overfouled. I have little doubt that load would put daylight through a large griz inside 300 maybe 400 yds.

-Mark

Default 180 etips vs 200 TTSX

That sizzles some copper for sure. I think I might table the TTSX loading for a while. The 180g and 200g shoot awful so far in my gun. I have loaded up some 180g etips as well with retumbo and will see what happens tomorrow at the range. I loaded from 95g to 96.5 grain in .5g increments to be safe with pressures. If the 96.5g looks safe, I will work up to 97.5. I am a bit gun shy (pun intended) about load data since there isn't really any. I have been putting off shooting them for a year now because of that and the jury is not out on their performance on game. You are right though about the bullet being grizzly medicine. A tough bullet like an X bullet, Aframe or Partition should do the trick. If these Etips hold together good, they should be good medicine at your 3400 fps.

Good point with the over fouled RUM. The caliber strips some copper. What do you use to get it all out? Any carbon fouling probs? I have used Wipe Out with excellent results, but have to leave in overnight once or twice. Very little scrubbing though.

If bears are on the menu, I would shy away from Tipped anything. I had some 300 Win Mag Barnes 180 gr Tipped MRXs blow up on me while trying to finish a brown bear at about 30 steps. They entered and made a cavity under the skin the size of a baseball, full or blue plastic and bullet fragments. High velocity, tipped bullets, and close range are a bad combo on thick skinned dangerous game IMHO. I will be working up some 220 gr Swift A frames, 200 gr Nosler partitions and 200gr Barnes TSXs for bears this year for my 325WSM.

Good Luck

Steve

Thanks for the tip on the Etips. They shot very well and as good as the accubonds. I will be increasing the grains of retumbo slowly from 66 to 67 or 67.5 for shooting next week. I will chrony it when I find the most accurate load and maybe we can compare notes. What primers are you using?" I have not looked at my barrel yet to see how foulded things are after todays shooting. That is why they invented solvents.

If the Etips continue to shoot good and have good velocities, I think my TTSX days will be numbered for my RUM.

The 180 TTSX shoots real good in an old 300 win I have, so Barnes still gets a nod from me.