Thread: Excessive Urination (lab puppy)

Default Excessive Urination (lab puppy)

My 10 week old lab has had spurts where he will pee every 10-15 minutes, then he's normal for a hour or so and then he's back to peeing every 10-15 minutes. I am not home(on slope) and my wife works during the day. She did say he seems to be peeing more during the day too (at least from how heavy his pee pads are), then when she gets home he's nonstop and has a lot of accidents on the carpet. He knows better than to pee on the floor and when he does pee on the floor he has a very sad look on his face and he will try to hide as soon as he does it(not sure if sad look is from discomfort or shame), most of the time he is in plain site of my wife when it happens but he just can't make it to the door in time. He drinks quite a bit of water during the day but we can't really regulate that since nobodys home for so long, i'll be able to keep a closer eye on it when I get home tomorrow but I wanted to check if this is normal or maybe some kind of a bladder infection?
    Thanks for any input.

Zach

My first assumptions would be bladder infection or diabetes. Since Im just Joe Blow on the internet and not a vet I wouldnt take my word for it! There are many more things it could be.
    I know this will sound blunt but I don't know any other way of putting this....No puppy at 10 weeks old "knows better" than to pee in the house. If he was weened at 8 weeks, as they should be, you have had him two weeks.
    My first thought when you said he seems ashamed about it, is that he's associated it with something negative, like a scolding, for peeing in the house and he knows something bad is about to happen, that doesn't mean he knows better. That puppy should know nothing but love, play, attention, socialization and positive re-enforcement at this point in his life. Instead of punishing for peeing in the house, be positive when he does something right like going to the door and going outside to pee. Regulate what he drinks during the day. In other words nothing while you aren't home or have someone check on him during the day. Put his food and water down as needed and remember that he needs to go outside within the first half an hour of eating or drinking. (all suggestions assuming he's a healthy pup)
    Ive raised many dogs in my life, I don't even remember having to feed and water them during the day while I was working. I crate trained, They got their food and water, morning and night. When I was home, sure they had water all day, but it was when I gave it to them. It made house breaking so much easier when it was regulated. As they get older and their bladders grow they can hold it longer and had free access to water.

I'd suggest getting him to your vet for an evaluation and complete workup.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I agree with Huntress that it is too early to say that the dog knows better. This dog is way too young to have a medical condition causing this, though a vet check up won't hurt anything. If he is being scolded at all after the fact, that is what drives the reaction you are seeing. The dog doesn't yet know that peeing in the house is a bad thing, he just knows that after he does what comes naturally, he often is on the recieving end of some scary noise. People tend to forget that the dog has no capability of independent thought and reasoning, especially in a 10-week pup. Body says pee, so he pees.

If you witness him peeing inside, say "no" and scoop him up and take him outside immediately. If you find the mark even 30 seconds after the act is done, it's too late for a correction.

The solution is to frequently take him outside for "potty" breaks. Work on associating the act of peeing outside with a good reward. In other words, during the act of peeing tell him "good boy" and the instant that he is done give him a bunch of praise and petting, etc. He'll figure out that going outside is going to be his most favorite thing ever. Just takes some time.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Since Im just Joe Blow on the internet
    wouldn't you be Jane Blow?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I'll just leave that one alone......Mr Hijack!

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    wouldn't you be Jane Blow?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

We do not scold him when he pees inside, he picked up going potty outside right away and he'd go to the door everytime he had to pee after the first week and many accidents. Even now when he has accidents he is usually on his way to the door but can't make it, so he does know where to go, he just can't make it there which is understandable. I'll keep a close eye on him when I get home.

As mentioned earlier.... I too would suspect a UTI (urinary tract infection).

Please take this pup to a vet !! Puppies can & do get UTIs, even younger than 10 weeks. My youngest Chessie went through a prolonged bout of UTIs from 6 weeks to 5-6 months old, and it was almost impossible to housetrain her. The wrong antibiotic & we had a devil of a time getting rid of it.

Karen

Default advice

give the pup vitamin C, if it is a UTI it should clear it up, but then again I'm no Vet. my dog did the same because of a UTI, crystals in the kidneys or some such thing. they told me to give it vitamin C, I did it cleared it up in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by 3CBRS View Post
    Please take this pup to a vet !! Puppies can & do get UTIs, even younger than 10 weeks. My youngest Chessie went through a prolonged bout of UTIs from 6 weeks to 5-6 months old, and it was almost impossible to housetrain her. The wrong antibiotic & we had a devil of a time getting rid of it.

Karen
    I agree with this. We adopted a golden retr. a few years ago from a rescue. The previous owners had given up on house training. It turns out it was a long untreated UTI that damaged his kidneys. He could no longer concentrate his urine so just peed all the time. Kona lived a short 9 months before his kidneys finally failed him.
    Please get your pup checked out!