Thread: Remington 750 in 35 Whelen?

Default Remington 750 in 35 Whelen?

I just bought a new Remington 750 in 35 Whelen. For those that don't know, it is a repeating firearm, holds 4 in the box, 22" barrel vs the 18 1/2 carbine. It replaced the 7400 and the 742 before that. I have my grandma's old 1960 something 742 in 30-06. It feels good to shoot and is really a lot of fun. Unfortunately it has a 4-6" spread at 100 yards. I believe Remington has fixed some issues with the older guns and made the newer ones a bit more reliable, at least I hope so.

Does anybody have experience with the 750 or 7400?

How about the 35 Whelen? I kind of like the looks of it. Makes me think I am going old school. It has a big bullet in 200-250 grains with close to a ton of energy at 300 yards. Anybody have thoughts on it? How about recoil? Good bullets? I was hoping the 225 TSX would work out good, maybe the 225 or 250 partition. We will see in few weeks.

I had to look around quite a bit for brass dies and bullets on line. There was really nothing in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I just bought a new Remington 750 in 35 Whelen. For those that don't know, it is a repeating firearm, holds 4 in the box, 22" barrel vs the 18 1/2 carbine. It replaced the 7400 and the 742 before that. I have my grandma's old 1960 something 742 in 30-06. It feels good to shoot and is really a lot of fun. Unfortunately it has a 4-6" spread at 100 yards. I believe Remington has fixed some issues with the older guns and made the newer ones a bit more reliable, at least I hope so.

Does anybody have experience with the 750 or 7400?

How about the 35 Whelen? I kind of like the looks of it. Makes me think I am going old school. It has a big bullet in 200-250 grains with close to a ton of energy at 300 yards. Anybody have thoughts on it? How about recoil? Good bullets? I was hoping the 225 TSX would work out good, maybe the 225 or 250 partition. We will see in few weeks.

I had to look around quite a bit for brass dies and bullets on line. There was really nothing in town.
    Remington did fix the old issues and the 750 is a good rifle. I have one in 30-06 and it loves Remington Express loads. It also shot my hand loads good. Very accurate for a semi auto rifle.

I think you would be happier with 225gr Partitions with the Whelen velocities and you can count on them being consistent. I am not a fan of the TSX and they might shoot real good in your rifle like they do in most rifles.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

What's the twist on that barrel?

With my 1/12 Ruger, it likes 250 gr., or longer non-lead bullets like the 225 TSX. It doesn't like the 225 Accubond at all.

I've had good luck at Boondocks in Eagle River for dies, bullets, and advice.

As far as brass, all of mine are sized from 30-06 (which was one of the reasons I got the Whelen) The Redding die set I bought has a tapered expander die which, with Imperial Sizing Wax, does with minimal effort.

I really like my Whelen (Ruger Hawkeye), and while not the prettiest, smoothest, or most accurate, I really like the caliber and with a 2-7 scope on it, I feel is the perfect sub 300 yard rifle for me. I'm really a fan of how efficient it is (how little powder it takes to make very good velocities in a heavier bullet)

I just looked on-line. The twist is 1:16. That may be slow for the 200g bullets. Maybe the 225 and 250's will like to be lobbed out there lazily spinning away into the lungs of a big moose?

The faster the twist, the longer or heavier the bullet to be optimal. With a 1/16, I think you'd do just fine with a 200-225---- which by the way is a great weight for a Whelen and the velocities it can push.

I had one for a short period of time. It shot very well with modest loads and 250gr speer bullets. You really don't want to push the pressure limit with the remington autos and small base dies are better for reliability.

I found my rifle to be very accurate and dependable, it had some feeding issues when I first got it. A weak magazine spring was causing it to spit all of the shells out after the first shot. New magazine worked that out just fine.

For modest loads like 250s at 2400fps the Speer and hornady 250gr bullets are really tough to be, they are fairly short for thier wieght so they work well in the slower twist guns and they really perform on game. I have shot a lot of the 250 hornadys in my old ruger 77 and the 750 I had really took a shine to the 250gr speer with varget powder.

I think you will be really happy with your purchase. My only drawback with that rifle was that there was no way to chamber it quietly. I don't normally carry a round in the chamber and the noise of slamming that bolt shut on a new cartridge kind of bothered me. Eventually went back to the bolt gun.

Good luck with it.

Default 750

I think you will like your new gun I know the older ones were good! I have a new Whelen coming too (rechamber ruger 06) I am hoping it will shoot the nosler 250s, after researching loads for the Whelen this bullet will be my pick if it shoots!

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    For modest loads like 250s at 2400fps the Speer and hornady 250gr bullets are really tough to be, they are fairly short for thier wieght so they work well in the slower twist guns and they really perform on game. I have shot a lot of the 250 hornadys in my old ruger 77 and the 750 I had really took a shine to the 250gr speer with varget powder.

I think you will be really happy with your purchase.

Good luck with it.
    I think TheBear_78 is leading you down a good path.

I've long been a Whelen fan and have used a variety of powders. I am almost solely using RL 15 in my Whelen now, but Varget, IMR 4064 and Win 748 all provide good results. The Nosler Partition is an excellent bullet and I've heard good things about the TSX, but the plain vanilla Hornady, Speer and Sierra work just fine in the Whelen. The Hornady 250 RN is among my favorite bullets for the Whelen as is the 250 Speer Hot-Cor. Do not get too wrapped up in velocity. Anything over 2400 fps with a 250 grain bullet is going to be effective. The 35 Whelen is simply a great cartridge. Place that 35 caliber bullet where it needs to go and you'll not be disappointed.