Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clam Digging across the inlet

Default Clam Digging across the inlet

Last year when I wasn in Ninilchik, I was talking to a guy who just cam back from across the inlet, he chartered a plane and brought back some MONSTER razors. He said there was no other competition and it only took him 30 minutes. I want in on this, any info out there, how much it costs to get over there, and where to go, or who to call?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in english, thank a veteran

Default Company

I've always wanted to do that too...If you find out the particulars and want company, let me know...

Default Polly Creek

Any Negative tide you will see a bunch of planes all over Polly Creek. They do not even have to be in your bush Super Cub. Lots of low wing airplanes and such. Clamming is usually good and people give you your space. There are many commercial salmon set net sites up and down the beach, so there are allot of cabins over there.

Charterboat Operator

Default clamming

have been there several times and had tons of fun, and the clamming is quite good. the wife and i have been thinking of starting to run clamming trips there and then some sight seeing and possibly an afternoon of fishing to boot. There is some spectacular hikng and fossil observing/collecting as well as some really great bear viewing. hence some of the troubled thought of dropping someone off on shore to hike around and not be there to protect them. what would you guys that are thinking about going over there think a fair and reasonable price to pay would be??

Don't forget that if you go above the hight tide line you are either on private propety or in the park. There are lots of bears there and also it is not legal to harvest fossils.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by saltwatertom View Post
    Don't forget that if you go above the hight tide line you are either on private propety or in the park. There are lots of bears there and also it is not legal to harvest fossils.
    knew about the property and bears, but have learned something new about the fossils, er, um whatever those cute rocks are

thanks fo rthe info

Ninilchik Charters runs clamming trips across the inlet. They run a 6 pack over and let it go dry during the negative low tide. We've done the trip a couple times, all the clams you could want and they're huge!

Really fun day. I think we paid like $160 per person. We ended up with 2 big tubs of clams, we couldn't even dig the whole low tide, we were exhausted and had more clams than we wanted to clean!!

Anyway, thought I would pass it along..

AL

Default Thanks for the info

This is what I will be planning on for the first clam tide in May, im also willing and able to go in on a trip, 160 a person is great. I have a .44 that i can bring along with a camera :-)

my email address is losteskimo@gmail.com if someone wants to get a group together in May

-Shawn
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in english, thank a veteran

Can't wait til May.

Gotta go now!

Hittin' the road in a few minutes for the second dig of the New Year!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Charter price for clamming across the inlet

Been there, want to go again. Clamming, what a super way to spend a day outside. May sound pathetic, but I like clamming as much or even more than fishing halibut.

Polly Creek, with the salmon running, can prove to be a bear super highway. Especially if you unthinkingly leave your lunch and other gear where the plane drops you off and then walk a ways out to dig. Bears score your sandwiches and cookies, you wonder if your next on the menu.

We tried a place south, away from Polly Creek, accessible by boat with great success. Looking back toward Anchor Point from the other side of the inlet is a little odd for me.....sort of like viewing a familiar painting or a map upside down. What is really strange though is the tide. The boat anchors at what looks like 2 miles or more from shore (I'm guessing), the tide pours out in what seems about 30 minutes and when I say "out" I mean it goes so far out you can't even see the water line from where the boat is beached.

Beautiful digging, big clams, tons of 'em, easy pickings. Although we didn't need to, we walked away from the beached boat each carrying a bag, float and line and a shovel, we'd stop walking, fill a bag with clams, tie a float to the bag on a '30 line and walk on till we found a place we wanted to dig again. Water floods in so fast you wonder where it came from, boat pulls up, we go pull the bags of clams into the boat and steam for home.

We didn't need to walk away form the boat, though. There's plenty of clams everywhere, you could dig clams and throw them right into the boat. You think you've clammed an area out but when the tide starts to flood you see new clam holes right where you were just digging.

Back to Deep Creek early enough for dinner, with all of us working at it around a campfire the clams were done and packed a few hours later. We all looked a little sun baked and slept in till 7 or 8 the next morning.

Price I think would depend, in part, upon the cost of fuel this year. A year ago, the cost was $825 for a day trip clamming, chartering the whole boat, six pack, parking the boat on the sand. I'd consider that price to be a bargain and, in light of projected fuel increases for summer 2010, probably not possible.

I think Polebenders $160 a head is right there in the ball park. Now that I think of it, maybe its time to make a reservation before all the best tides are booked?
    Last edited by pontiac-chief-51; 01-30-2010 at 17:25. Reason: typing error

Bottom Line charters also run 6 pak for clamming including a shore lunch

Great trip

Been over to Polly Creek a couple of times in my buddy’s PA12 on big minus tides, planes everywhere but lots of room. Filled up two 5 gallon bucks with monster razors in about 20 minutes, and we were under limit..thats how big them suckers get way out there.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    and we were under limit..
    no worries... pretty sure there is no limit across the inlet....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Big Clams

You mean clams like this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eksak View Post
    Last year when I wasn in Ninilchik, I was talking to a guy who just cam back from across the inlet, he chartered a plane and brought back some MONSTER razors. He said there was no other competition and it only took him 30 minutes. I want in on this, any info out there, how much it costs to get over there, and where to go, or who to call?

All you need is a REALLY, REALLY long shovel and you could do it.....

Anyone want to go clam digging next week? Charter price is going to be around $800 for up to 5 people. Anyone want to split it?

AK what day? If I am off I would be down.

Anyone know if what it would entail to take my boat over. I just can't see paying a charter when I can go on my own rig. Sure would be a fun trip for the day if its possible. I'm just a bit leary of letting my boat go dry. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tides look good all next week in the afternoon into early evening. I am open to whatever everyone else wants. How bout Thursday?? Leave Anchorage around 2pm be back round 8pm??

This would be a good time to tell people that don't already know .... a burlap bag full of clams floats ..... so don't let the tide come in too long before you round them up or they'll float away. Dug commercially at Polly Creek in 1969 and with 20 people digging ..... it was tough to figure a way to round up clams when the tide came in and get them delivered to the tender. Ended up stretching a ground line (1800' long) north and south with a halibut anchor at each end. Each digger had to get their clam bags hauled to the ground line and tied on with a 10 foot line. After the tide came in, we went out with a skiff, pulled the ground line over the gunn'ls and loaded the skiff with bags of clams to then deliver to the tender. At 16 cents a pound we barley paid for groceries. Had fun though. It's common at Polly Creek for the wind to pick up at low water. If you go dry with your skiff while clamming and wind comes up as the tide comes in ... there isn't much you can do but watch the surf come closer and closer till it beats the crap out of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast