Thread: Salmon Forecast for 2010?

Default Salmon Forecast for 2010?

Had a friend over for coffee today who is a commercial salmon fisherman and he was all doom and gloom about the salmon for 2010, saying he'd heard that Kings, Coho's and Pinks were going to be scarce in the saltwater.

Anybody hear anything? I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for a high abundance king year!

I would like to see big numbers, esp Kings. I have not heard one way or another. El Nino should make it interesting. Maybe you'll be catching Albies! I often wonder where these fishing season forecasts come from.... what it was lke 4 years ago, is there a crystal ball, I'd rather go with a positive attitude and get skunked, than say it's not worth the energy to put the gear in the water. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Had a friend over for coffee today who is a commercial salmon fisherman and he was all doom and gloom about the salmon for 2010, saying he'd heard that Kings, Coho's and Pinks were going to be scarce in the saltwater.

Anybody hear anything? I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for a high abundance king year!
    I only know a couple commercial trollers personally but whether I'm talking to them or listening to the guys on the VHF its always gloom and doom, the sky always seems to be falling. I'll wait till April or may when the abundance index is announced before I worry much about it.

Just my $.02 worth.

I've been sitting on my butt for the last 45 days in a leg cast after having my foot reattached to my leg with plates and screws...all that keeps me going right now is the hopes of hitting Memorial day weekend on the Peninsula without the wheelchair and crutches...please, NO BAD NEWS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    I only know a couple commercial trollers personally but whether I'm talking to them or listening to the guys on the VHF its always gloom and doom, the sky always seems to be falling. I'll wait till April or may when the abundance index is announced before I worry much about it.

Just my $.02 worth.
    I hear you about the doom and gloom of the some of the comm fish fleet.. Winter king fishing has really dropped off after some decent fishing in Nov/Dec.

You coming back up to guide next summer? You'll see me camped out at the Cape with my kids fishing dawn till dusk if you do!

Quote Originally Posted by capt.k View Post
    I would like to see big numbers, esp Kings. I have not heard one way or another. El Nino should make it interesting. Maybe you'll be catching Albies! I often wonder where these fishing season forecasts come from.... what it was lke 4 years ago, is there a crystal ball, I'd rather go with a positive attitude and get skunked, than say it's not worth the energy to put the gear in the water. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    They've been blaming poor ocean conditions for the last few years of crappy king fishing we've had.. Hoping the conditions improved a little!

You coming back up to guide next summer? You'll see me camped out at the Cape with my kids fishing dawn till dusk if you do!
    Last year was supposed to be my last season in Ak. I was hoping to come home and find a real job with benies so I could spend the summer with my family. Unfortunately that plan hasn't worked out to well so I told the resort to pencil me in for another season.

Cya at the cape, probably want to fish a quarter to a half mile off shore and not even bother with the kelp-line ;-)

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default that sucks

Quote Originally Posted by supern8inak View Post
    I've been sitting on my butt for the last 45 days in a leg cast after having my foot reattached to my leg with plates and screws...all that keeps me going right now is the hopes of hitting Memorial day weekend on the Peninsula without the wheelchair and crutches...please, NO BAD NEWS!!!
    wow did you fall down some stairs and break youre foot while working up on the slope if you did i think i know you i hope youre foot gets better soon

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    wow did you fall down some stairs and break youre foot while working up on the slope if you did i think i know you i hope youre foot gets better soon
    Hockey. Trimalluer fracture. Pretty severe. I'm told 12 to 18 months of rehab. I just hope I can hit the rivers this Summer.