Thread: TFO Question

Default TFO Question

Can anyone explain the approx. 1/2 inch gap between the sections of the TFO Professional series rod? It's like that everywhere I've seen. I have heard or seen somewhere that it's normal. It's just that my OCD kicks in when I see it and can't seem to pull the trigger on this purchase.

Sapper in the Skies

Yeah.

Back in the 60's and 70's this type of "glass" ferrule was the only thing available. That's before blank sections were laid out with mating tapers such as most rods you see today. You just took a one-piece blank, cut it in as many pieces as you wanted, then installed the "plugs" you see as ferrules in the TFO rods. Fly shops and rod building shops in those days had two bins of blanks- the real thing, and another bin of seconds that were cut up to make the plugs. Most shops I worked in would cut the blank for the customer, then cut the plugs to match. Heck, if it was a good customer, we'd usually glue in the plugs, too, while we were at it.

Knowing that, you need to know this: The outside of the plugs wears, and as it does, the mating section slips further and further down the plug until the blank sections meet. On todays rods with each section laid up to mate and no plugs, you don't see it, but the wear is going on and the sections are slowly moving in on each other.

I "grew up" with the system, and I'm completely comfortable with it. I'm sure some will hypothesize that with the right plug in there there might even be some advantage in rodd smoothness. Won't hear it from me, cuzz I just can't tell.

Long as Im writing a book, here's one more bit:

It was standard back then to have less gap between the sections, or said another way, to have less of the plugs showing. But with that, they wore down and came together sooner. When that happened you had to take the terminal wrap off the female end, file or sand the end of the blank to slightly shorten it (and reduce the diameter), then put on a new terminal wrap. SOP. That half-inch long gap you ask about was really good news to me. It said to me I wouldn't have to go through this particular exercise every couple of years. Good news and bonus points, and I don't really care how it looks.

I'm not trying to give you a sales pitch here. Just explaining. I happen to like TFO a lot, but I've got a whole bunch of other rods too, so I'm not particularly brand loyal or snobbish. I really like the performance of the TFO rods. I like the price for that performance even better. And I like their warranty. Other brands meet the same creteria, too.

Thanks Brownbear for an awesome post.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Thanks!

Thank you Brownbear for an EXCELLENT answer! I like TFO rods alot but couldn't for the life of me figure that one out. I think I can now pick up the Professional series with piece of mind now. Thanks again!

Sapper in the Skies

TFO's warranty is top notch if you ever have a problem. $20=new rod
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Agree!

Wow- flyrod university and all. Thanks, BB!

I've been a TFO (4 wt TiCr, 5&8wt TiCrX) fan for 7-yrs, initially as a value proposition, but still find them well-suited for casting weighted leeches even in wind. My 5wt, which I fish mostly - still looks and works like new. Still going strong. Two yrs ago, a fine Sage Xi2 rod came my way as a gift - has excellent feel - decidedly a class above, but it's pretty dang spendy. A $600 (or more) rod might be better and friends fishing Sage TCRs outfished me a lot, but... I have never felt cheated on the fun with my TFOs.

Something else BrownBear said that makes sense to me - a lot of brands/rods can do the job well. Some are tried/true values. And I suspect that as price goes up, the differences become smaller.

Good luck in the season ahead!

Default Yep great data

Here is a great link to help as well. One thing you have to remember is sometimes informaiton and sponsorship might skeew the Best of the Best thing however the attached

http://www.bestflyrods.com/fly-rod-manufacturing/

Enjoy the TFO I own several and just ordered a couple fo more.

:-)

My wife and I are huge TFO fans. Love them, how they fish and the warrenty. I have no issues with them at all. She and i b oth fish 6 weights and believe me when I say this. We use and abuse them and they keep on catching.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

most fly rods are like that nowadays
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Spring fever

Well I have picked up the TFO Pro series 5 wt and can't wait for the summer to give it a toss. Might even make my way down to the Kenai for some winter fly action!

Sapper in the Skies

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    TFO's warranty is top notch if you ever have a problem. $20=new rod
    My experience was $20 = You get all your original pieces back + a replacement for the broken piece.