Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What leave's the biggest footprint?

Default What leave's the biggest footprint?

The other thread made me start this one.

Boaters, Sure they get off further into the bush in river areas than a ATV can get and they do leave trash, so it is a footprint.

Four-wheelers, They can go in place's a boat can't even come close to, what kinda footprint do they leave? ( gotta put the trash thing in there to)

Snowmachine, Pretty much both as mentioned above, but can go to any place that either one can go. ( and still leave trash)

Track-rigs, now thats a tough one,

(I got writer block on the other project I was working on. It was starting to get to personal, so had to take a break.)

Up this way, boats leave the least print, Sowmachines will barly leave a print at all, as snow protects the tundra, ATV's leave everlasting ruts and trench out hilsides with spinning tires and strip the vegitation down a few inches to permafrost, and tracked vehicle ("cept snow gos) are confined to trails, with a permit.

The trash is always left by humans.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

You said pretty much the same thing I was thinking Stranger, So why does a guy go out and buy a 8,000 dollar 4-wheller vs an 8,000 dollar boat or snowmachine? Because they don't care what kinda footprint that they leave. (Talking about hunters here) I can see where the wheelers come into play in the villages, lived out there long enough to know the differance. If it's to acess property you own thats one thing, but to go out and just tear up the country side one time a year that's another.

Most people are responsable most of the time and stay on the trails, however there are other's that think the that I have this machine and I can go where ever I want.

Which one are you? (Not you stranger) The rest of the crowd.

You forgot to mention airplanes, cabins, and car/trucks.

I would think itís the airplane that leaves the biggest foot print. If it were not for airplanes people would not be able to get supplies or travel too, or around Alaska in a reasonable time.

If you look at the foot print a cabin makes, I would not be questioning the transportation that let you get to the cabin.

People donít like ATVís because they make a rut in the ground. What about cars and trucks and all the roads, you think a road is not a big foot print. A road will last forever; a rut in the trail will be gone in a few years.

Cabins most likey have a trail into them, mentioned that in the secound post by me.

Cars and truck's mostly stay on the road system, bar the idiots that tried that stunt off the haul road, ( not exempting them either tho)

Now airplanes, thats a pretty small footprint as to they have to have a place to land. Granted they get in there with the rafts, or whatever, but it's the people that they haul in that leave the trash.

You have a valid point about the 4-wheeler track's being gone in a few years if it was a one time thing. These days, someone see's track's " hey lets see where they were going" . End's up being a spider web that keep's getting bigger.

I have a four wheeler I use to get from the boat to the cabin, I use it around the cabin for project's and it is a useful tool ( honda 200 2-wheel drive)so I'm not knocking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    [...]
    I have a four wheeler I use to get from the boat to the cabin, I use it around the cabin for project's and it is a useful tool ( honda 200 2-wheel drive) so I'm not knocking them.
    Hmm.. sounds like you leave the biggest footprint of them all!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

People have covered all of Alaska for hundreds of years. Feet are pretty good transportation and we know dog sleds work. What leaves a footprint is playing somewhere we don't live.

Should take trash out of the equation. Saying that boats, atvs and snowmachines leave trash is like saying guns kill people. Never seen an atv throw empty beer cans yet.

O.k Milo, <rins>What does a Rafter leave behind, it's not moterized, but do you think that there is a not trail there?

A little story about, and I'm sure you are all familiar with it, happened about 3 year's ago.

Man was lost up this river, was'nt a rafter or anything, he was taking to this place and dropped off and decided to walk out before his pickup up date. There was a massive resuce mission that was involved, plane's, choppers, lasted almost a week, before they found him safe, won't go into the whole story. But what I found interesting was that they could'nt figure which way he went because of all the toilet paper that was left next to the river by rafters and he was found 5 miles away on top of a hill.

The chopper piolet that spent a week up there said it looked like a trail of bunnys in winter coat's all the way down the floating part.

Trash is a factor in the game.

Alaska outdoorsman, lol, The trail I use has been there for almost 40 years. And yea thats a big machine, almost more than I can handle, lol

Talking

What about the **** caribou - cutting trails deep in the tundra and leaving bones and antlers all over the place. Dirtiest animals I ever saw.

This is Human track's that we leave, nature takes care of her own.

I'm sure that was ment as a joke,

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Should take trash out of the equation. Saying that boats, atvs and snowmachines leave trash is like saying guns kill people. Never seen an atv throw empty beer cans yet.
    Obviously a wheeler has more of a footprint over a snowgo or boat. You can't see where or how many boats went in the water they don't leave a trail behind them. Usually come June most of the sno-go trails are gone and if it had adequate snow cover the ground wouldn't be changed. Planes at times can leave a foot print as at times gravel bars and whatnot have to be cleared out in order for a plane to land. But like anything responsible use is the key.

I agree. Take trash out of the equation. Not everyone that goes out leaves trash. If we couldn't trash then you could say mountain climbers on McKinley have the biggest footprint for all the waste they leave on the mountain. Or come across a group of hikers/backpackers that just through their trash on the ground. Rock, I think what you are looking at is what mode of transportation leaves the largest impact on the ground itself right?? Then its pretty much a no brainer if all users of each mode of transportation were responsible enough to haul all the trash in what they hauled out then the the least impact would be a boat (raft or powered), snowmachine, then any type of ATV.

What are you trying to get at here? I think this belongs in another thread NOT hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    What about the **** caribou - cutting trails deep in the tundra and leaving bones and antlers all over the place. Dirtiest animals I ever saw.
    Reread your post assuming it is a joke also.

MJM 316
    I think this is the perfect place for this discussion, a great deal of the damage being done is by hunters, hunters who should know better and be working to improve game habitat not destroy it.

My position on this is obvious, look at my signature line. Anyone else who feels preserving habitat is vital to a healthy herd and it is time to stop ATV abuse of PUBLIC lands feel free to PM. I'll be very happy to tell you all about the BHA and how you can help. For the record we don't want to ban ATV's just set some areas aside for non motorised use and get folks to use wheelers more responsibly in other areas.

I have a bad feeling my participation will not lead to a healthy debate, therefore I'm stepping out. Please try to keep it civil, "debates" like those found in the former politics and religion forum help no one.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Just because something leaves a "footprint" does not mean it is destroying habitat. Go to any trail right now, stand in the middle of it and look down. You will see many animal tracks and most of them will be going in the direction of the trail.

What's the physical difference between a game trail and an atv trail? Absolutely nothing, it's just not as visually "pleasing" to humans. But the animals don't know or care, they just know it's easy walking.

For predator/prey it often increases populations. Rabbits and birds love trail sides, and lynx, coyote, etc love rabbits and birds. Don't get me wrong, I would hate to see Alaska look like a spider web from Google Earth because of the over abundance of trails but sparatic trail systems are not hurting the habitat or wildlife.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Default man

man leaves the biggest footprint. Some of the worst messes Ive ever seen in the woods were where ATVs and other off road rigs cant go. Some want to limit their use and use the "litter left behind" banner to further their cause when in reality its the person riding or boating or walking that leaves the mess. If anyone doubts this, float the Yukon River from Johnsons Crossing to Carmacks, it will make you sick.

Thumbs up

Footprints, tracks, trails, ruts, roads, highways and rail are not a "bad thing" as many would like to portray them as being. Man has been leaving them since the dawn of time. We now have our footprint on the Moon and Mars. It is Man's Destiny to seek out new territory.

BTW: There are absolutely too many thousands of square miles that are totally locked up in Alaska. Then there are the Controlled Use Areas to boot. Something needs to give and those areas need to be opened up to motorized/mechanized use and exploration. Take a look at the Natchez Trace, a wagon road leading the West. It is a National Treasure. So are each and every river, lake, atv trail, track rig trail, foot trail, road, highway and rail line in the US. The trails and footprints we leave today will one day be graced to the fullest by your decendants and they will be forever greatful to you for leading the way.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Then there are the Controlled Use Areas to boot.
    Anyone else see the pun in this statement

Default Somebody call Al Gore

I'm getting visions of an Italian man dressed as an American Indian on top of a hill staring down at trash with a drop of saline tracing down his cheeks. I'm pretty sure he had a methane producing trail destroying horse with him. This post smacks of holier than thou, shame on you bull moose scat. I'm gonna get some no touch hover boots and go out with my head hung low and take a zero impact digital photo of all this trashed, ugly, disgusting country in my back yard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast