Thread: What to do on the final fishing day?

Default What to do on the final fishing day?

We could use some help selecting our final fishing activity on the Kenai Penninsula. My wife and I will be there July 10-21, and we have one extra day (July 20) available for more fishing - but we can't decide what to do with that day.

Here is our tentative schedule:

Days 1-4 Denali, Mat Su, Wrangel St Elias (flightseeing and sightseeing)

Days 5-6 Seward (sightseeing and full day boat tour)

Day 7 Kasilof float for 2nd run kings (we preferred Kasilof over Kenai)

Days 8-10 Homer (halibut combo; fly in fishing at Redoubt Bay; flight to Brooks Falls for bear watching). We debated fishing for halibut in Seward v. Homer, read the threads in here, and decided on Homer b/c of logistics and personal preferences.

Day 11 ????

On our final full day, July 20, we are considering booking a guided walk in trip in Homer (about $125), or leaving the day open for a weather make up day or last minute fishing plans.

We really want to experience some the unique aspects of Alaska fishing, while filling up our freezer (I'm from Louisiana, we eat a lot of fish). I think we would like to find a stream bulging with reds. We have already far exceeded our original budget so we don't want to spend a lot, but if something really caught our eye . . .

So, to recap, we have 4 days to fish and are planning 3 charters with guides/captains we have researched (Kasilof float, Homer halibut combo, Redoubt fly in) - where else should we go?

On a related note, all of the West Cook Inlet/Redoubt Bay fly in charters seem to cost about the same, and follow the same itenerary. Are they all about the same, or is there something particular I should look for?

We sincerely appreciate any suggestions. I have enjoyed reading the posts on this forum, and looking at pages and pages of fishing photos. I have really learned more about Alaska fishing from this forum than anywhere else. Thanks again!!

Default walk-in where?

from homer where will you be walking in?
    july is a bit early for silvers in the streams, and the only other walking trips i am aware of are all C&R.
    if your freezer is full by the 20th you might look at a day kayak trip (about the same as your walk-in trip) or just a hike in the park...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

If you want something off the beaten path, and it doesn't have to be monster fish, I'd highly recomend renting a canoe in Sterling and paddling some of the Canoe Lake trails in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge and going after rainbows. You should have the place to yourself, and there are few things I'd rather do than paddle a quiet lake.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    from homer where will you be walking in?
    july is a bit early for silvers in the streams, and the only other walking trips i am aware of are all C&R.
    if your freezer is full by the 20th you might look at a day kayak trip (about the same as your walk-in trip) or just a hike in the park...
    I'm not sure of the Homer walk-in locations, but the person I spoke to said we would be targeting reds. There was no discussion of catch and release, or filleting either (now that I think about it).

I'm starting to think that I may have a good bunch of fish by this last fishing day. My very rough estimate would be about 90 lbs (2 people x 3 charters x 15ish pounds of processed fish per trip), which would be getting close to all I care to bring home.

I might end up using this last day as an open day to either do something else, like kayaking as suggested, or to make up for any cancelled charters.

well, if you find yourself looking for a good kayaking company let me know and i'll point you the right way.
    most of the red fishing in the homer area is snagging in saltwater, otherwise you would have to head up to the kenai or russian most likely.

Keep the day open, and if you don't need it for a rescheduled weather day trip, contact homerdave (from this very thread) and have him take you across the bay in his water taxi. Either take a hike over there, or have him drop you at Humpy Creek for some fishing. You might be just a touch early for the best pink fishing, but I'm guessing there will be some there. Pinks aren't as good eating as some of the other salmon species, but they're a blast to catch on light tackle. Otherwise have Dave drop you at one of the many trailheads over there and then meet him at another trailhead 8 hours later after you've explored a bit. Better yet, rent a yurt over on the other side for a night and enjoy some peace and quiet with your wife.

well, if you find yourself looking for a good kayaking company let me know and i'll point you the right way.
    most of the red fishing in the homer area is snagging in saltwater, otherwise you would have to head up to the kenai or russian most likely.
    Got it - thanks for the info!

The Russian River. Great fishing and a great place to go to see a bear. The walk up to the fall is nice.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I would be hard for me to drive by the Kenai and Russian Rivers on 20 JUL without fishing at least one of them.

Doesn't sound like you're all that into Trout fishing, but if you are.... Middle Kenai
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    I would be hard for me to drive by the Kenai and Russian Rivers on 20 JUL without fishing at least one of them.
    Is it easy to rent the gear I would need to fish the Russian? I'm not bringing anything other than proper clothes/footwear/rainwear. I would need waders, spinning rod, and tackle. Are there many places that rent this stuff out so I can go solo, or should I hire a guide?

Quote Originally Posted by pehudson View Post
    Is it easy to rent the gear I would need to fish the Russian? I'm not bringing anything other than proper clothes/footwear/rainwear. I would need waders, spinning rod, and tackle. Are there many places that rent this stuff out so I can go solo, or should I hire a guide?
    No need to hire a guide and yes there is rental gear available.
    Some of the locals will let you know where it can be rented.

Default russian river...

bear in mind that the russian can be the quintessential alaskan "combat fishing" scene. not to say don't go, but realize it is as much a cultural experience as a fishing destination.

bear in mind that the russian can be the quintessential alaskan "combat fishing" scene. not to say don't go, but realize it is as much a cultural experience as a fishing destination.
    After reading all the posts about combat fishing - I certainly want to check it out. Even if I don't fish myself, I want to see it.

My wife and I are even planning on going to the Kenai River to watch people dipnet. I know that as out-of-staters we cannot participate in dipnetting, but you just don't see that type of fishing going on everyday, so we want to check it out.

Default HomerDave

I agree with Brian, take a trip across the bay with Dave. Slow down for a day and enjoy Alaska.

A couple pics from the other side of the spit to give you an idea. These were Memorial day, so it'll be alot greener when you're there, and not nearly as much snow.

Thanks for all the advice and tips. In the end, we decided to leave the final day of our trip open for weather makeups or last minute plans.

We have already booked all excursions, and have a great mix of activities. Alaska should not be in any sort of recession by the time we finish paying for this trip.

I hope all you Alaskans are staying warm today. We're suppossed to hit 80 degrees today in Austin, Texas, just in time for spring break next week.

Default Yurt

Brian - tell us more about the Yurt rentals - are these Nat'l forest rentals? Private? What do they go for a night?

Default here's the info on the yurts

http://www.alaskanyurtrentals.com/kachemak-state-park/

some yurts are better than others depending on your goals. hiking, kayaking, fishing, hunting.. they all have strengths and weaknesses.

No trip to the Kenai is complete without a day in Hope. Real neat town, then spend a bit fishing Humpies.

had to add.........or whitewater rafting on 6 Mile Creek.