Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kimber

Default New Kimber

I know some of you out there aren't Kimber fans, but I love mine. The new model is exactly what I wanted to do to my Pro CDP, but now will be a factory offering. I neeeeeeeeeeeeeed one :-)

http://www.kimber1911pistols.com/blo...arry-ii-specs/
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default There are always people that

are not into one thing or another...I not a fan Taurus or Dan Wesson..not even real sure why...I have been shooting a lower end Kimber Custom 11 for a few years now...it has everything I need in a .45 auto and is more accurate that I can shoot it...

It's not often that I hear anyone gripe about a Kember handgun other than to say they are overpriced. They made a reputation on building great 1911s and they make a fine handgun no doubt. The Kember detractors I have heard are almost all talking about their Montana rifles not shooting worth a hoot, their rifles seam to be a gamble on if it will be a shooter or not.

If thatís the gun you want and you have the bucks then you better grab it, life is short so enjoy!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    It's not often that I hear anyone gripe about a Kember handgun other than to say they are overpriced.
    Actually my gripe is that they are overpriced for the poor quality parts you get.

Don't they use a lot of the same parts as the top makers? I had heard that there are only a couple places that make most of the parts and Kimber, Wilson, Les Bauer, etc., use the same ones. Not saying that is true, I have no idea, I'm a handgun idiot. I do think the bobtail on the new Kimber is pretty sweet, and you can't get a bobtailed 1911 for less than what they are going to be. I don't like their mags and use Wilson in mine. What parts are sub-par on the Kimbers and can they be replaced with better quality?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Don't they use a lot of the same parts as the top makers? . What parts are sub-par on the Kimbers and can they be replaced with better quality?
    No.....Kimber makes or contracts its own MIM parts, which include: Sear, disconnector, grip safety, thumb safety, slide stop, barrel bushing, firing pin stop and link.

On a Colt the only MIM parts are sear and disconnector.

On a Kimber IIRC the barrel is two piece and made in Korea if my info is correct

Default Kimber quality..

Kimber Pistols have established a new world standard for production 1911 accuracy and dependability. This was no accident. They are manufactured on the most technically advanced machinery using only the finest materials. The average tolerance of a Kimber is three times as tight as the competition - giving Kimber the edge in performance. Dozens of custom and match grade features make Kimber pistols the best value. No where is this more evident than the Custom.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    Kimber Pistols have established a new world standard for production 1911 accuracy and dependability. This was no accident. They are manufactured on the most technically advanced machinery using only the finest materials. The average tolerance of a Kimber is three times as tight as the competition - giving Kimber the edge in performance. Dozens of custom and match grade features make Kimber pistols the best value. No where is this more evident than the Custom.
    Bullpucky. Where are the forgings?

Maybe Clarke dosen't know what he's talking about...? He sure is a successful custom gun builder though...who cares where the parts come from as long as they are PROVEN to work...

Maybe Clarke dosen't know what he's talking about...? He sure is a successful custom gun builder though...who cares where the parts come from as long as they are PROVEN to work...

Clarke is a Kimber dealer. And Kimber parts are notorious for failure.

Wheres the forgings?

Got my first custom built Clarke when he was still in the barn/shop out beside his pistol range in 1970, still have that one he built on a Gold cup frame for me as a hardball pistol. I've only had three barrel and a hundred thousand round of hardball through that pistol in that time. Anything Clarke has to say on the subject of 1911's, it's worth paying attention too.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

If Kimber barrels are two piece and made in Korea, then other manufacturers should consider doing their 1911's that way. Agree with everything Clarke had to say on the subject, based on 42 years personal experience with 1911's off various manufacture.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by garyhan View Post
    If Kimber barrels are two piece and made in Korea, then other manufacturers should consider doing their 1911's that way. Agree with everything Clarke had to say on the subject, based on 42 years personal experience with 1911's off various manufacture.

gary
    We golly jeepers as long as we are having measuring contests, I first shot a Colt 1911 in 1961

Lets make it easy:

Kimber uses substandard MIMed parts, possibly cheap 2 piece barrels made offshore and castings for their frames and slides.

Colt uses forged frames and slides, one piece forged barrels made in the USA and quality cast/forged parts.

Colts are cheaper besides.

Argue away

The Kimber 1911s I've shot and worked with kinda reminded me of that one brand of overpriced bolt action rifles that sometimes shoot well and at times have been known to feed the cartridge they were chambered for, but other times not.

HMMM... What were those called? Seemed like they were named after a state out west.

Anyhow back to the debate fellas.

I had a Kimber tactical pro that would fail to go into battery and sometimes would lock the slide open even with rounds in the magazine.

Kimbers answer is to blown you off and tell you to put 500 rounds through it and hope that your gun is out of warrenty before you call again. The pistol went back several times and it would go into battery but the slide stop problems persisted. It was a great self defense pistol if you only needed one shot.

I traded it off for a Wilson CQB and couldn't be happier. I understand sometimes a company can make a lemon, but after dealing with their customer service( the worst in the industry), I will never buy another Kimber product. I know I am not alone. Look on any 1911 or hand gun forum. Complaints about Kimber are rampant. Kimber turns out many guns that are total junk on a regular basis. They look nice, have all the lastest mall ninja features, but all too often fail to perform.

I think the only way that they stay in business is through massive advertising campaigns.

Sounds like a nice advertising campaign. Did those statements come directly from the Kimber's latest press release? Are you on the payrole at Kimber?

Not exactly the experience I have had with that company.

if does not say colt and government model on the pistol it not a true 1911 pistol but i am a little bit of pick when it comes to the john browning masterpiece ..

you guys have gotta stop bragging abouy how old you are.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I never cared for Kimber.

They make obsolete pistols, like the 1911, and copied the obsolete pre-64 Mdl 70.

What I wanna know is why-come they don't make (Traditional) Muzzle Loaders? I might go for that.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I never cared for Kimber.

They make obsolete pistols, like the 1911, and copied the obsolete pre-64 Mdl 70.

What I wanna know is why-come they don't make (Traditional) Muzzle Loaders? I might go for that.

Smitty of the North
    A couple of weekends ago I watched a guy shooting a stock SA Trophy Match obsolete 1911 stomp on all the guys shooting the so called modern double stack stuff at an IPSC match...........Heck he even beat all the guys shooting race guns.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast