Thread: Summit Lake

Default Summit Lake

Looking for some info on riding the Summit Lake area on the Kenai Peninsula. Has anyone ever ridden down there and where do you park? Trying to dig up some info on the BLM site but having some trouble doing so.

Also, has anyone ridden up near Hope/Resurrection valley? Are there restrictions this year or can you pretty much ride anywhere back there?

I've ridden there. I parked at the Summit Lake Lodge, but it was several years ago. Back then it wasn't open for riding until March 15.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Where did you ride, in the mountain behind the lodge, other side of the highway, around the lake? I've been trying to find something about this on the BLM website but cannot find anything on it.

It's not a BLM restriction, it's a Chugach National Forest restriction. http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinte...st%20-%20Home/

We rode the moutains behind the lake. Watch you ass on the section of lake towards Seward. Big time avalanches there every year.

Thumbs up Summit/Resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Looking for some info on riding the Summit Lake area on the Kenai Peninsula. Has anyone ever ridden down there and where do you park? Trying to dig up some info on the BLM site but having some trouble doing so.

Road summit a few years back. We parked at the pullout just past the Lodge if i remeber right. We road both sides of the road. The left side if your head'n south has a lot of Ski/Snowboard traffic. Just an FYI. Neat terain and a good place to burn up some gas pretty quick, if the snow is good

Also, has anyone ridden up near Hope/Resurrection valley? Are there restrictions this year or can you pretty much ride anywhere back there?
    Road resurrection 3-4 times this year. It opens every other year Dec 1 if there is enough snow. I spent most of my time up there looking for Boo. No Boo, but the snow was pretty good back by devils pass, the first couple trips. I havent been back sense the end of December. The last trip up the snow was Windblown and hard packed. Not sure what the snow is like now. Also a neet area seemed like alot of trail time though. Cant reely get off the trail much untill you get up by devils.

Looks like it's closed to snowmachines so that answers that question. From what I could figure out about the Hope area it appears to be cloased too but I had heard it opens every other year to snowmachining.

Thumbs up Summit/Resurrection

Its open
    You can go in the hope side or the cooper landing side. I recomend the Cooper side. Parking lot on hope side was not plowed last time I was there.

http://www.cnfaic.org/advisories/current.php

Looks like it's closed to snowmachines so that answers that question. From what I could figure out about the Hope area it appears to be cloased too but I had heard it opens every other year to snowmachining.

Too many Summit Lakes in this state I thought we were talking about the one with the Summit Lake lodge, south of Turnagain a bit.

Default summit

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Too many Summit Lakes in this state I thought we were talking about the one with the Summit Lake lodge, south of Turnagain a bit.

Thats the one I was thinking of to...

That's the one I was talking about, Looking at the color code on the map it gives me the impression that it is closed to motorized travel other than subsistence hunting.

That's the one I was talking about, Looking at the color code on the map it gives me the impression that it is closed to motorized travel other than subsistence hunting.

Did you take a look at the avalanch advisory link below?
    it shows open and closed areas for the chugach national forest.
    no maps though.

LOL..........yeah, I saw that but a map would be really helpful, don't want to get caught riding where I shouldn't be. Did you ride Hope this year or was that last year? Looking for someplace new to ride.

Talking Hope side

LOL..........yeah, I saw that but a map would be really helpful, don't want to get caught riding where I shouldn't be. Did you ride Hope this year or was that last year? Looking for someplace new to ride.

This year... Parking lot was not plowed. So, it was a little interesting getting the 4-5 trucks with trailers to fit. So every one could ride...

Default Maps

Get a broadband internet connection and go here:

www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/

On the right hand side of the page look for a box that says "Quick Links." Click on "Winter motorized access maps" and wait for 17mb of maps to download.

OK, so it looks like I can ride the south end of the lake. I don't remember seeing much in the way of snowmachine tracks down that way though, must be difficult riding??