Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta cattle hunts...

Default Delta cattle hunts...

So, when you are out bison hunting in Delta and see a free ranging cow on public land, what's the skinny? Fair game or off limits?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    So, when you are out bison hunting in Delta and see a free ranging cow on public land, what's the skinny? Fair game or off limits?
    I would imagine it would be against the law. I am not sure what makes it qualify as "feral" but if a farmer called and complained I would imagine you would be in hot water. If there was a population of them living on state land then I could see an argument for taking it, though I doubt the wolves up there would let much of a population build up!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

If it is a recent escape then it is still owned by the farmer.. much like your dog...

if it has bgone stray and becomes and issue ... I can blast it... hogs also are considered ferral after 24 hours.. but i would sure make sure of it all before you BLAST any cow.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Farmer John to Farmer Smith, "Hey, did you hear I got me one of them Free Ranging bison HUNTERS, last week, he'll go # 9 in the book, I think he was one of them well fed one's that come out of the city". He should square 6'-4" was one of them that got's a small skull or he would have gone higher in the book". (Note: Intended as Funny, don't have a COW"

Kill 'em all!!!

I lived in Montana as a teen, worked on a Dairy farm, Beef ranch....it Suk'd.
    Woke up way too early ever day and Milk'd 'em, herd'd 'em, fed 'em, birth'd 'em, inoculated 'em, insemenated 'em, chased 'em down the highway, kill'd a few and wish I could kill 'em all!!!

I eat Beef because I HATE Cows.

Got ammo?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Kill 'em all!!!

I lived in Montana as a teen, worked on a Dairy farm, Beef ranch....it Suk'd.
    Woke up way too early ever day and Milk'd 'em, herd'd 'em, fed 'em, birth'd 'em, inoculated 'em, insemenated 'em, chased 'em down the highway, kill'd a few and wish I could kill 'em all!!!

I eat Beef because I HATE Cows.

Got ammo?

I grew up on Dairy Farm, and when I was 14 I tried to inseminate some cows but could not reach......

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    If it is a recent escape then it is still owned by the farmer.. much like your dog...

if it has bgone stray and becomes and issue ... I can blast it... hogs also are considered ferral after 24 hours.. but i would sure make sure of it all before you BLAST any cow.
    When the cow is in an area miles from any farm, and milling around, I'd imagine it would be defined as stray.

I might put a call into the fish cops to get their take on it. I'm thinking regardless of what the law says, they'll tell me that it isn't allowed. I can forsee them concerned about bigger issues. Sort of like me becoming the #9 largest skull size for bison hunters in the book. I'm only 6'1", but I have a knob on the back of my head that could help stretch the tape an inch and take me up a few spots. Would I qualify for non-typical?

Talking

I grew up on Dairy Farm, and when I was 14 I tried to inseminate some cows but could not reach......

Okay I have to ask. If it was toooo short, just what were you using?
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Could have had a buddy wheel you around in a wheel barrow. I hear that is how they roll in Montana.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I've had the opportunity to take a stray beef a couple times this year but decline as I know it belongs to one of my neighbors.......just as some well cared for dogs slip out of the yard now and then, I don't see it as justification for shooting the neighbors dog unless it causes problems.

Shooting of that beef would only fuel the fires of animosity the farmers carry for hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Would I qualify for non-typical?

......Everyone on this Forum "IS" non-typical.......

And some of us are D@mn Proud of it.

Default Another thing to be careful of

is DNR does lease lands out for grazing. You wouldn't like ot shoot someones cow that is on a grazing lease.

I know in montana... if you had cattle, they could be anywhere as long as they were branded,, If you didnt want them on your property you were responsible to fence them OUT of your property.. Dont know about alaska

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Vern, not trying to start a spat here, but you could also turn that last statement around.

Default Free Range

I'd assume it was a free range cow. They run loose all over the Kodiak road system. May be the same thing around Delta.

Always was curious about who would be responsible if a car hit a cow and someone got hurt or killed tho.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Always was curious about who would be responsible if a car hit a cow and someone got hurt or killed tho.
    That is why you never brand or chip a cow in Alaska.

Cow? I don't have a cow.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Open range

When i was growing up in oregon my older brother hit a cow in his pickup on the paved county road.....my dad ended up paying the rancher for it. Even though there are fences on both sides of the road it still considered open range. It cost alot more to fix the pickup.

we had a nieghbor in montana threaten to kill one of our bulls that had broke through my fencing and were sitting in his crop field..lol ... It's a little difficult for one person to convince a bull to go back through wire to our pasture....
    so ... after a day... (they((the cattle)) were breeding) the neibor said he would shoot the bull and i would have to pay for his bullet as well as still get the bull off his property...

So after 5 min.. of him yelling at me... I called the State Troopers... they arrived in no time flat. the guy was just getting into his truck..

trooper told him that if he shot the cow, he would not only be responsible for one cow, but the entire breeding life of the cow.. so I could in turn sue him for the cow, and it's worth for life..lol

the guy shut up and said I'm spraying my pesticides on my crop tomorrow, if you want your cow you better get 'em. .... "coulda told me that 30 minutes ago ***** Wipe"

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

While in Kalispell, back in those days, two "Mad cow" incidents stuck in my mind.

First was seeing two kids and a woman torn apart in a vehicle -vs- Prize Angus Bull, and the dad sitting helplessly in the middle of the road after going out the windsheild, pouring blood out his mouth, while my mom and dad did CPR on the woman. They all died. The kids were litterally in two.That was ****ED. I think I had a long day at school that day.

Second is my boss Tim, who after two days of "road side roundup" decided, with the Highway Patrol, that we would just shoot them at roadside because we had more than one serious "almost" with highway2 traffic....and we did. 18 of 'em, and a winch truck later, that was the best day EVER working for Mr.Bear......I would do it again for free!!

Shooting Cattle is funner than fish ina barrel
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

So let me see if I get this it is ok to "blast" cattle but not cows (moose)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast