Thread: Getting Geared up for Broilers......

Default Getting Geared up for Broilers......

We'll be putting our order in for cornish around the end of Feb/March. If anyone in the Valley would like to go in on some Cornish let me know and we'll split the cost down the middle it not only saves on shipping but the more you order the better the price. I just ask that you be prepared to pick up your fuzzy butts when they get here. I refuse to raise them!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

We have enough orders! Thanks folks! We may have a few extra's so if anyone is interested in raising their own chicks, feel free to shoot me a PM.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Want to trade?

I'll trade you the use of my plucker for one of your Flemish bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    We have enough orders! Thanks folks! We may have a few extra's so if anyone is interested in raising their own chicks, feel free to shoot me a PM.
    Huntress,
    We will would be willing to buy whatever you dont need when they come. Thanks!

Will

Hi Will!

How many would you like? We still have a bit more time before we put the order in...I can add a couple more if you'd like?
    I have 3 little fuzzy butts sitting in my incubator right now!.....I'm hatching out Delawares and Black Copper marans as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wholden View Post
    Huntress,
    We will would be willing to buy whatever you dont need when they come. Thanks!

Will

Hi Will!

How many would you like? We still have a bit more time before we put the order in...I can add a couple more if you'd like?
    I have 3 little fuzzy butts sitting in my incubator right now!.....I'm hatching out Delawares and Black Copper marans as well.
    Looking for just meat birds now. I was looking at Murrays web site yesterday, at the Cornish crosses then I saw your post today. Not looking for a lot (until I can build something to keep a bunch separated). Something close to 10 to 15 to start with then once I get a couple chicken tractors built up to around 30 or so. Everything I have read is to keep them separate so you can restrict their food 12 hours a day. Our layers get food 24/7 so the meat ones with the egg layers co existing would not work.

I think we have hatched 50 or 60 egg layers since Christmas and there are 43 eggs in the incubator right now. Everywhere I look in the house, all I see is chickens! Kind of hoping our tom turkey will start doing his job but he is still a little young. Have one hen turkey giving us an egg every other day or so.

Let me know when you decide to order and I will give you a for sure number but probably 10 to 15 to start.

Thanks!

Will

I'll be sure to let you know, we should be ordering around the end of March or April, depends on the weather.....Your idea with the meat chickens is right on. You also want to feed them at different ends of the pen so that you make them walk back and forth....

I thought I was a chicken nut! (To anyone else reading this, never by an incubator!).... lol

Quote Originally Posted by wholden View Post
    Looking for just meat birds now. I was looking at Murrays web site yesterday, at the Cornish crosses then I saw your post today. Not looking for a lot (until I can build something to keep a bunch separated). Something close to 10 to 15 to start with then once I get a couple chicken tractors built up to around 30 or so. Everything I have read is to keep them separate so you can restrict their food 12 hours a day. Our layers get food 24/7 so the meat ones with the egg layers co existing would not work.

I think we have hatched 50 or 60 egg layers since Christmas and there are 43 eggs in the incubator right now. Everywhere I look in the house, all I see is chickens! Kind of hoping our tom turkey will start doing his job but he is still a little young. Have one hen turkey giving us an egg every other day or so.

Let me know when you decide to order and I will give you a for sure number but probably 10 to 15 to start.

Thanks!

Will

Huntress,

It's all your fault! Now I'm really missing the days when I raised my own Leghorns, Americaunas and Rhode Island Reds. It was so much fun trying to find no-cost ways to supplement their diet of chicken scratch (5.00/50 lb bag) as the pullets matured, and were weaned off the starter feed.

I built my own "chicken tractor", wherein I enclosed the chickens so they could "naturally" (and safely) graze on the land for bugs, grass, plants and seeds. In addition, when it rained I'd gather handfuls of earthworms for them to eat. At other times I placed them in the huge compost pile for sustenance. I'd also visit the lake and catch lots of shad and other minnows for feed.

Now that I look back on my chicken raising days, I wasn't raising anything...anything but food for the local 'possums and 'coons! Those darn critters even ate my gorgeous Broad-breasted Bronze turkeys!

Crabn,

I love my birds! If it wasn't for them there are days I'd wonder what I'd do with myself. Sounds like I made ya a little homesick......If you ever need a chicken fix, let us know!
    (I have a brooder full of chicks right now!)

I'll be sure to let you know, we should be ordering around the end of March or April, depends on the weather.....Your idea with the meat chickens is right on. You also want to feed them at different ends of the pen so that you make them walk back and forth....

I thought I was a chicken nut! (To anyone else reading this, never by an incubator!).... lol
    Ok, things have changed slightly.......Not just chickens now. After tasting our first pig, my better half has directed me to get another "Wilbur". I did what I was told because I know better...... When we picked up our new little porker the kind gentlemen showed us around his "Farm". He showed us his turkeys and stated he had one tom that he could not catch that was running free. We (my 3 yr old daughter and I) easily caught the 25 plus lb bird and put it in his pen for him. Well, there was already one tom in there and as we suspected, they did not get along. I told him if he decides to get rid of one, I would be interested because I have a bronze female that is giving me a egg every other day. We went home that day with our new little pig and one very large turkey tom. Let him go in our pen and he immediately established his place with our one bronze and 2 slate hens. Gave him a week or so and the wife told me that she had seen him taking care of the hens and we should try to incubate the eggs now. I put 3 in our little classroom incubator and another 6 in the big incubator....... It's been a week so far for the little incubator so we checked them yesterday. All three are viable!

Next thing, I came home from work yesterday and was greeted at the door with the words "don't freak out, but look at this" Well, in the kitchen sink there was a young goose with another one on the counter..... All I could say is that we better get the water tested because I don't think that's suppose to be coming out of our faucet.

We were going to get some turkeys from Triple D but since they are remodeling it does not look like they are going to have much for a while. So we will keep hatching out our own to include turkeys now. I wanted to get a dozen or so for this summer and the way this one hen is laying, we will easily be able to accomplish that!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wish I had a nickle for every time I came home and found live poultry in the kitchen sink!

Default upland chicks

Does anybody know where I can get some upland bird chicks? I would like to raise some to help train my dog. Grouse, chuckers, quail... I won't be picky. I live in the Fairbanks area. Thanks.

Back in the State (MatSu Valley) and I ain't ever leaving!

Default Chicken Plucker??

Got a whole bunch of Cornish Crosses, turkeys and a few ducks this spring.

The boys are having fun with all the chores but one aspect I think may peg the fun meter is the slaughtering of the chickens. No, not the actual killing of the chickens but the plucking part. So as to not kill all the enthusiasm for raising chickens, does anyone have a chicken plucker they would be willing to rent? I am out in the valley (Palmer) so if anyone would like to rent their plucker I will be sending the chickens to the glory land around the third or fourth week of June.

If I can't find a plucker, I'll resort to the three I already have (boys).

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I've got one down here in Sterling, we can probibly work something out.
    It'll pluck 3-5 Cornish at a time depending on size, and turkeys up to 35 pounds. It doesn't work on ducks though.