Thread: Question for .375 Ruger owners

Default Question for .375 Ruger owners

My question is twofold...

First I was wondering what the magazine length was in the Ruger Alaskan model and whether cartridges loaded to magazine length will function.

Secondly Barnes just introduced a 350gr. .375 TSX and a banded solid is soon to follow. How well do you think either would work in said rifle?

First question, yes.
    Second question, even though I've never shot 350's out of any .375 I simply see no need for them. If you need more bullet than 300 grains step up to the Ruger .416. TSX's at this weight would be so long case capacity would suffer and your rifle might not stabilize them correctly. But this is all just a guess. Try shooting some and report back to us your accuracy and velocities
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    First question, yes.
    Second question, even though I've never shot 350's out of any .375 I simply see no need for them. If you need more bullet than 300 grains step up to the Ruger .416. TSX's at this weight would be so long case capacity would suffer and your rifle might not stabilize them correctly. But this is all just a guess. Try shooting some and report back to us your accuracy and velocities
    First...ty for your reply.

Secondly I have neither the .375 or .416 Ruger as of yet. I am in the process of deciding which to buy and this is one of the many questions that I was pondering prior to purchase.

If anyone is interested here is a link to some of the 350gr. testing:

http://sheriffjimwilson.com/?p=126

As an aside that .340 Weatherby in my avatar is currently the largest rifle in my collection and I am looking to add something bigger...

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    My question is twofold...

First I was wondering what the magazine length was in the Ruger Alaskan model and whether cartridges loaded to magazine length will function.

Secondly Barnes just introduced a 350gr. .375 TSX and a banded solid is soon to follow. How well do you think either would work in said rifle?
    My Alaskan magazine is 3.414" and all loads that I have worked up in 260 Partition, 260 Accubond, 300 Partition, 270 TSX, 300 TSX and 300 Game King have cycled perfectly.

Ogive contact in my rifle was longer than mag length with both TSX's, Accubond and Game King but best loads came at shorter than max magazine length. Both Partition's touched the lands prior to max magazine length and they too preformed best at shorter OAL's.

What ever the 375 H&H can do the 375 Ruger can do better, that will start some crap. If Sheriff Jim Wilson worked up a 2300fps 375 H&H load with the 350gr TSX then the Ruger will be in the 2375 - 2425fps range.

If you are trying to have maximum smashing power the 416 Ruger shooting 400gr bullets at 2400fps would be a better choice than a 375 with 350gr bullets. Either 375 will stabilize the 350gr bullet just fine. Both the 375 H&H and Ruger are 1:12 twist and that's faster than they need to begin with.

I helped load my buddies 375 ruger with 270 TSX bullets a couple of weeks ago. We made them as long as the box would hold and the COL was more than .05 from the lands. I don't have the exact numbers, but it sounds like others have had the same experience. They shot LIGHTS OUT though. Four shots touching, a lucky clover. We used RL15 at close the max load in the new Barnes book, working up of course. The chrony did not have batteries, or I could brag up velocities and help with the HH debate. Maybe next week we will retest the load.
    Last edited by Daved; 01-28-2010 at 21:05. Reason: 270 vs 275 TSX

Thanks for the replies guys and keep them coming.

I want to add one of the two Ruger offerings and am trying to make an informed decision on which that should be.

Thanks for the replies guys and keep them coming.

I want to add one of the two Ruger offerings and am trying to make an informed decision on which that should be.

What are you planning on hunting?

Going to make a trip to Africa in the next couple of years and hopefully take a Cape Buffalo. Also planning on a Brown Bear at some point.

I want to add one of the two Ruger offerings and am trying to decide which one would be a better fit considering that I already have a .340 Weatherby.

Going to make a trip to Africa in the next couple of years and hopefully take a Cape Buffalo. Also planning on a Brown Bear at some point.

I want to add one of the two Ruger offerings and am trying to decide which one would be a better fit considering that I already have a .340 Weatherby.
    I have a great 300gr TSX load worked up with RL-17. I'm sure it could be tweaked to work with the solid but I have no need for penetration without expansion.

Since you already have the 340 Weatherby just get the big 416 and be happy. I've been thinking about adding it to my 20" collection too. I really don't need one but I want it.

Numbers to consider. A 300gr 375 running at 2700fps has 4856 ft lbs of energy. A 400gr 416 running at 2400fps has 5116 ft lbs of energy. The 375 loaded with a 350gr bullet is forecast to achieve 2425fps with 4570 ft lbs of energy.

I have heard that the .416 Ruger makes a cape Buff look like he is trying to pass peach pits. Thai from and African game guide that runs a game service. I have a stable of .375H&H's and have not felt the need for anything more than that for Alaska hunting. Now if I could just get a load that would gut, skin and pack back to the truck, I'd be ready for a change.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I have one and I've owned a H&H as well. Snowwolfe is right on this one. the 350 grain TSX is the answer to a problem that never existed. The 300 grain TSX performs VERY well. It is isn't getting the job done then either:

1. You aren't shooting animals in the right place and no rifle/bullet will get the job done.

2. It's an animal that really needs a solid like an elephant or rhino.

3. You just need to step up to a bigger gun .416, .458, .470, . 500.

If you only intend to hunt North America just get the .375 and call it good! And if you are going to hunt abroad........probably just get the .375 and call it good!

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I have a great 300gr TSX load worked up with RL-17. I'm sure it could be tweaked to work with the solid but I have no need for penetration without expansion.

Since you already have the 340 Weatherby just get the big 416 and be happy. I've been thinking about adding it to my 20" collection too. I really don't need one but I want it.

Numbers to consider. A 300gr 375 running at 2700fps has 4856 ft lbs of energy. A 400gr 416 running at 2400fps has 5116 ft lbs of energy. The 375 loaded with a 350gr bullet is forecast to achieve 2425fps with 4570 ft lbs of energy.
    You and I think alike...

I don't really need it either but I sure want it LOL!!!