Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On water binoculars

Default On water binoculars

Just trying to gear up the new boat and wondering what strength binocs people recommend. Is a 12x power too strong (too much strength when bouncing around)? Or do you just want something mid-range like an 8x42?
    Suggestions?

Thanks...jim

Conventional wisdom is that anything much stronger than 7x50 will be hard to hold steady enough. I use Fujinon Polaris 7x50, and their clarity and light gathering are phenomenal. OTOH, I'd probably like a good 10x42 in addition for critter watching when it's not bouncy. If your budget is generous, Fujinon's 14x40 Techno-Stabi stabilized binocs are reputed to be the hot setup.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

I have been using my Nikon 10x42s for some time now and have completely satisfied with them on and off the water.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

I have been using a pair of 10x30 Canon image stabilizing binoculars for eight to ten years. For $360+/- they have been great. Here is a link to several different powered ones: BHPHOTOVIDEO
    I have purchased several cameras through B&H photo without problems. No association other than being a satisfied customer.

The water proof ones seem appropriate for the boat. Mine took a quick dip a few years ago. I sent them back to canon and it cost more to fix than to purchase a new pair. I told them to put them back together and send them back. They work now...go figure. I would like to try a pair of the 15x but have not made the purchase yet. Too many other things to get first. I hear great things about the Fujinon's 14x40 Techno-Stabi stabilized binocs, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I keep a pair of Steiner Marine 8X30s in my boat and it does fine. Plenty of power for what I use them for. I like the rubber coating, no slip and sliding when you lay them down.

I'm thinking low magnification and heavy weight will be best on a boat. Different application than most normal hunting binocs.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I have been using a pair of 10x30 Canon image stabilizing binoculars for eight to ten years. For $360+/- they have been great.

Our choice as well. The IS really makes a difference on the water.
    Tennessee

7X50 fujinons back when fishing....these things are tough...even though they're over 20yrs old they'd be the ones i'd have if you cant afford the image-stabi's...it doesn't take much to throw a 10X off & strain your eyes, they'll work for short durations, but your eyes will like the lower power for extended glassing......i'd keep several pairs if it was me....

Thumbs up

Canon Image Stabilized 18x50 is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Have been using these for several years and nothing compares to them. You can get them for a deal if you shop around. Bought mine for about $800 on ebay. Once you use these, you can't go back to any other.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?i...50IS&l=FROOGLE

Default Nikon Monarch 10x42

Check out the Nikon Monarch 10x42's. Not image-stabilized, but are linear phase-coated, waterproof, fog-proof. Extremely sharp image. For around $300 ( when you can find 'em for that ) you can't beat 'em.
    I wouldn't buy a binoc that isn't phase-coated after owning some - the optical clarity is supurb.
    I loved the Swarovski's 10x42, but hey- $1300 vs. $300 -- they weren't 10x as good. They were noticeably better and sharper, tho- especially at long distance. Might be worth it on a sheep hunt. But for general boat use and glassing, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the Nikon Monarch series for quality vs. value.

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersosei View Post
    Canon Image Stabilized 18x50 is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Have been using these for several years and nothing compares to them. You can get them for a deal if you shop around. Bought mine for about $800 on ebay. Once you use these, you can't go back to any other.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?i...50IS&l=FROOGLE
    How in the world could you hold any 18X steady, IS or not? Even with our 10X IS Cannons you have to be on flat water for them to be worthwhile.
    You must have arms of steel, my hats off to you!
    Tennessee

Randy,
    It really is amazing how stable it is with the IS system. Let me put it this way, the last two people who tried mine got their own.

Own the 10X Cannon IS's but 18X would be beyond my capabilities for sure.
    Tennessee

Default 14-40 vs 18-50

I've been looking at these. The Fujinon 14x40 gets consistently better reviews when in the IS mode, than the Canon 18-50. I just wonder how much difference there is between a 14-40 and an 18-50, and if it is worth it?

Sasquatch,

I got in the same research mode based on this thread (thanks guys!). A lot of good info on this was on thehulltruth.com. They said to stay away from the higher power ones, even with the IS. I agree with the assesment that the 14x40 Nikon or Fujinon was the best, but I went for the 12x32 Nikon, since it was quite a bit less and they said it was a good unit. It is in the mail, so I will see this summer.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

As others have said, 7x50 is pretty much the standard for marine binoculars--7x power gives you good, but not too much, magnification, and the 50mm objective gives you good low-light performance.

Defender Marine usually has a Fujinon 7x50 on sale at a good price. You might take a look there.

As for image-stabilized binocs, Fujinon's stabilization technology seems to have the edge on Canon, although the Canons are also very good. Really depends on how much you want to spend. If you're considering spending anywhere near $1K, then you really need to think hard about the Fujinon 14x40's.

My understanding is that Fujinon also makes the Nikon image-stabilized binocs, both the 14x40s and the 12x32s, although the Nikons come with Nikon glass rather than Fujinon glass (or so I'm told). If you compare the Fujinon 14x40s with the Nikon 14x40s, and the Fujinon 12x32s with the Nikon 12x32s, the resemblance is unmistakable.

Another choice no one has previously mentioned are the Fujinon 12x32's. As I indicated above, these are very similar to the Nikon 12x32s, but can usually be found for a lower price. Indeed, up until recently, Defender was selling these binocs for about $450, while everyone else was selling them for $700-$800. That was a great deal, IMHO, but it now seems that Defender has raised their price in line with the others.

Finally, FWIW, I ended up going with the Canon 10x42L:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10x42-St...4959165&sr=8-1

Image stabilization isn't quite as good as the Fujinons, but the optical quality of the L glass is superb. Very pricey though. I waited until I found them on sale for around $800 and pounced.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Found the Fujinon 12x32's here for 595.00.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._JR_Image.html

Waterproof & Fogproof
    Wide Angle
    Porro Prism Waterproof & Fogproof
    Wide Angle
    Porro Prism

$400+ difference between the 12x32s and 14x40s which seems to be the trend with these IS binoculars.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Charterboat Operator

Default Yikes!

with all those high power binocs out there, i might have to quit peeing off the swimstep!

One difference between some of the models we are talking about is the amount of stabilization. The Canon has .7 degrees, the 12x32 has 3 degrees, and the 14x40 ha 5 degrees. I don't know how much this matters, but it is another factor in the pricing.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default +1 for Cannon

Another vote for the cannon IS beanos. Had a pair for 3 years now and love 'em.
    BK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast