Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bamboo rods...

Default bamboo rods...

Anyone ever build one from scratch? Have been toying with the idea for quite a long time now. Would love to have a little 4wt gem for grayling.

Chris Carlin in Anchorage sells bamboo blanks:

http://www.farnorthrodsmiths.com/pricelist.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Anyone ever build one from scratch? Have been toying with the idea for quite a long time now. Would love to have a little 4wt gem for grayling.
    I toyed with the idea about 20 years ago, and even went so far as to pick up an arm load of Tonkin cane. Unfortunately that is as far as I got. Man, it is pretty major process if you’re going to do it right. Instead of building them I started collecting them through the year, and now have around ten or so. I do love a fine cane rod. Good luck if you do decide to venture into it.

Default Yikes

Been there Done That ONCE! I was lucky to have a very good friend show / make me years ago assist in building one.

It is all about the tooling my friend your your bulding from start to finish.

Oh the pain and hours! Oh the pain! Was a real enjoyable 60 hours of my life wish I would have stuck with it. Fred Warra and his brother designed his Jig which I had the pleasure of using.

First step is find someone with the correct Jig and Good Cane, plan on using silk if you want to do it correctly and be prepped to split split split until you find the piece that makes your rod what you wish it to be.

Read all you can about Garrison and Young will help with your insight to tapers.

http://www.thomaspenrose.com/tonkin.htm

The above link is good data! Dan great project and with your wood working skills i.e. building a Cedar Strip Canoe you should have no issues.

I have an old friend back in Plattsburgh NY that does work on B-Rods his name is Bruce and I will see if he has the time to send you some data as well. He fixed my Granger and it looked new when he was done.

Contact Chris Carlin as mentioned earlier. He's local and I have two of his rods. He's a super nice guy and will give some good advice.

well let me begin, this is something I've beeing toying with for years now. I'm thekind of person who rat holes links and information away for use at a later date. Seems about when I find enough information to start (like my canoe, actually found my first info on strip canoes in the 10th grade, only took 15 years to build the first one ;D) the timing is right and things just go. Anyone can build a strip canoe, heck I'm suprised mine floats LOL! There is some other things in the way of me starting immediatly on building rods though I'm sure I'll be started by this summer or next winter.

Thanks for the info and words of incouragement. I'm excited at the thought of a bamboo 3 wt for grayling!

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Contact Chris Carlin as mentioned earlier. He's local and I have two of his rods. He's a super nice guy and will give some good advice.
    I too have one of Chris Carlin's bamboo rods. It is a beautiful rod and a fantastic fishing tool!

well it has begun.

I have talked to Chris a little bit now. Great guy! looking forward to a shop visit!

Also have some plane forms on order. Gotta do some geeerage organization (wish I had some good cheap storage shed plans so I can move some stuff outside shew).

And have some more tools to buy/build before any bamboo arrives.

Grayling on a bamboo rod sounds like a hoot. Tarpon on a bamboo rod...oooooooh baby, come to daddy silver king!

Default Bamboo rods

I was treated to a $2.oo toure of a bamboo fly shope, it takes some very special tools, if you go into the busness of bulding the bamboo rods is one thing, but to just to buld only one rod is something else, the tools are not cheep, [you can make some but not all ], after you see what it takes you might change your mine, if you talk to the man that opend his shop to you an work out a deal, the glass rodes are a lot easer to buld,
    the bamboo rods have a lot of labor [time] in to them, that is one of the reasons that they cost so much more than the glass ones

there is a rod bulding get together on this web site look into it it will open your eyes a lot
    my 2 cts SID

Default Sucker

LOL Glad to see you took the required steps to go knee deep in a hurry. I am sure you will find it well worth the time and effort.

Someday when I am smart enough to slow down I will more than likley start the process again.

I un-case my Fred Warra once a year as promised and fish grayling and it is fun.

:-0

I saw a bamboo rod for sale from an Alaskan company named Midnight Sun. The ad said that the owner had died and it sounded like it was awhile ago. Has anyone every heard of the Midnight Sun Rod Company?

Sid,

I've spent the last 3 sleepless weeks reading up all I can find. Ya I can see how it can be dang spendy! A lot of the tools you'll need you can build. Actually if you can weld and had access to maybe a milling machine you could build them all lol. I dont, so unfortunatly I'll have to buy SOME of the tools. There are plenty of the tools that are not needed. Just like fly tying, there is a lot of STUFF the average guy doesnt need. Most of us end up buying it thinking we need it and rarely if ever use it (like my tube fly attachment I've NEVER used LOL).

The plane forms are probably the most exspensive single piece of equipment. You dont need a beveler, though I found some good plans for the prebevler, nothing more then a simple router jig. The tempering 'tube' is another easy make, conduit and a heat gun, some insulation and a sheet of plywood. The binder is still questionable. I know I could build it, if I could find good plans on it. I have some books on the way, hopefully they'll have the required info. If not I found one fairly inexspensive for sale. Planes, the guys are saying a tuned 9 1/2 stanley will work just fine. You dont need a 200 buck lie nielson though I may still buy one . A nice plane is a tool of joy! You'll need some form of drying box, seems like most of the guys hang them, again a simple plywood fixture, doesnt need to be a show piece here.

I doubt I'll get into building to sell rods. Heck how many of you would be willing to pay 1000 bucks for a bamboo rod when you can find a equal lifetime warrantied rod for 2 or 300 bucks, honestly I wouldnt expect to sell any. It's just something I've wanted to do for awhile now!

AG, try contacting the midnite sun fly casters association. I bet someone in there would know. If you find out I'd like to know who it was also if you dont mind.

Default Bamboo fly rods

Here is a web site that you might want to check out www.bamboorodmaking.com. It has a lot of great information on bamboo fly rods.

I have about a half dozen old bamboo rods in various conditions that I am saving for a rainy day. The plan is to consolidate/refurbish them into some nice rods.

That's always an option if you don't want to get too involved in buying tooling.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Thanks for the link. I've been inside and out of that site...definatly LOTS of good info on how to and tools!

Ryan,
    I'd rather build from scratch. It's just one of those things you gotta do yourself atleast once in life kinda things. I'll probably only build a handful of rods. Couple grayling rods, couple salmon rods, couple hmm, pike rods, couple trout rods, couple.......hmmm couple more....wait gotta have a couple good steelhead rods too

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I'd rather build from scratch. It's just one of those things you gotta do yourself atleast once in life kinda things.

I know that feeling way too well, it gets me wrapped up in all sorts of things. I will definetly be keeping an eye out for the "build thread"

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

it'll happen, though it'll be awhile! I'm hoping by summer I'll have everything I need to build one. As noted it's not a cheap endeavor to start up. Well maybe I'm just cheap or broke, or both haha.

Default arctic grayling

Hey, I did some digging for you today.

First I talked to a buddy of mine whose been around up here awhile, he's moved out of the local area and we have kinda lost touch so sorry this took so long.

He said the fella was part of the founding group of Midnite sun fly casters. He had heard he moved to MN, the website I found showed him in Anchorage. Anyways. it sounded like he was in with Loyd George, the old owner of the fly shop in downtown fairbanks, and Guy Lee, the famed hair tyer (makes a sweet hair grayling btw!)

Here's the web site info I found. I had to go to cached to get it to pull up on the google search, the website is obviously down.

Announcing a higher standard in Alaska-built fly rods. Handcrafted by Jerry Williams, the premier bamboo rodmaker in Alaska

Jerry studied under master bamboo rodmaker Daryll Whitehead in his bamboo rod shop in Oregon. Under Daryll's demanding eye Jerry learned how to craft beautiful and responsive rods uniquely designed for the Alaska fly fisher and collector.

Website was last updated dec 2006

Midnight Sun Rod Company
    7330 Bailey Drive Anchorage, Alaska 99502
    Phone: (907) 243-3664

I'm sure if you got ahold of Chris Carlin, another bamboo rod builder in anchorage you could get much more info on these rods....

I dont know how accurate the info my buddy and I dug up is, so take it with a grain of salt....If you need more help let me know, I'll call chris, he'll be home in 2 weeks, I think he's on vacation, and get more info on Jerry for you if you need it.

I think I see the rod you were looking at...if I had the money I'd buy it but hey thats just me, a man with to many rods already getting ready to build.....hmmm

Yes, that is the same information that I found on Midnight Sun except I didn't know they had an Anchorage address. I thought it might have been in Fairbanks. Something I read said that Jerry Williams had died and MK Reynolds had sold off most of his rods. It was probably in the sale of that rod.

What happened to the bamboo rod maker in Tok is still a mystery.

Wasn't there a bar in Fairbanks called the Midnight Sun or was that in Dawson City????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast