Thread: Can I fly with Powder ?

Default Can I fly with Powder ?

Probably should have learned this by now but can I get on an AK air or ERA flight with Powder and primers? Is this a nightmare to declare?

I understand it to be not actually very "Explosive" so does that pass by the need to declare explosives in baggage?

Or is there a way to ship it

Just getting set up to reload in Anch, need back in Kodiak, should I just find powder in Kodiak and get everything else up north

Default Probably not

I had some clients who worked for Boone and Crockett who stayed at my place and muzzleloader hunted on POW. They had to buy their powder and stuff on POW since they couldn't fly with it.

Try ACE cargo or the like to ship from Anchortown down. They are good with taht kind of stuff.

Good luck,

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Ammo can go, powder can't . . . I am unsure on primers and caps but I doubt it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

It's not just a question of explosives, but also flammables, so its a big NO. And I wouldn't consider sneaking either onboard in your bags. Pleading ignorance doesn't work in court.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Probably should have learned this by now but can I get on an AK air or ERA flight with Powder and primers? Is this a nightmare to declare?

I understand it to be not actually very "Explosive" so does that pass by the need to declare explosives in baggage?

Or is there a way to ship it

Just getting set up to reload in Anch, need back in Kodiak, should I just find powder in Kodiak and get everything else up north

If your not careful you can.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Only in your underwear..
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Only in your underwear..
    I'm getting to the age where my tightly whites can be explosive without adding anything to them but me!
    Must not be any fun working for TSA!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Only in your underwear..

At that stage coughing and passing gas can be hazardous to your shorts. But at that stage, it really Depends.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Fly No, Ace YES

Just a follow-up post on this question for anyone's interest. having been told by a prominent Gunshop Guy in Anch that several arilines WOULD let you do this you just needed to call them.

I called ERA and Alaska Airlines and the answer was a definite no, I'm also picking up some powder for a guy in Kodiak who was told on the phone by the airline, that he could and then told at the gate he could not so had to leave the stuff in Anch to get on the plane!!

I did go to ACE Air Cargo, Thanks for that tip, Gooch, they were way cool and easy to work with and it is also expected to be in Kodiak in a day or two so I am way happy with that.

The cost was just $25 for the HazMat and a minimum of 40lbs paid for at .70 cents per pound. It did need to be packed in a max of 16 lb boxes so I sent two boxes and the total was 65.91 I think. Splitting it with another guy worked out great.

Found the partner in freight cost on this Forum, Pretty Cool, eh?
    So I got Jags of Primers and Powder for good prices and am set up for A LOT of reloading, Thanks Anchorage

Default Can I fly

This is great information regarding Ace.

Last year a friend of mine came (Anchorage) home Kodiak)with several pounds of undeclared powder and a brick of primers in his checked bags.

He was met by security at the Kodiak End. They did not arrest him but it did end up costiing him some sleepless nights and a $2500. fine!

Hazmat and the forbidden regarding explosives or flammables warning signs have been at the counters and security check points for a lot of years now.

Neal

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

kodiakrain have you checked into taking it to Kodiak by ferry in the future? Is that legal?

Default Good question on Ferry

No, I didn't check with the Ferry folks, good question, if anyone has please chime in.

I don't do the Ferry much but it would be good to know the story there.

By the way, My HAZMAT ship with ACE Air Cargo was sent Fri eve. 7pm and I got a call Mon morn around 10 am that it was in town, Pretty Cool I think !!

I got all the powder and primers for about a thousand rounds, (all I could afford to spend actually) over for $65.91 (gen. rate not priority) had eight pounds more room even with stuffing other stuff in there to tighten up the package, and split the cost with another guy who got four lbs powder and Jags of primers ten thou I think it was, and we split the cost, Worked Well