Thread: Rem 870

Default Rem 870

So last fall I bought a new 28" "Remington" barrel (3" chamber) for my old 870 because of the need for screw in chokes. Barrel performed excellent for first box or two of shells. Now, the shells stick in the chamber turning the gun effectively into a single shot, and sometimes I have to take off the barrel to pry out the shell. I noticed that the chamber seems to be just a hair tighter than my two other barrels when I try to rechamber the spent shells (for comparison). Now my question is since I have no proof of purchase (what could go wrong with a factory barrel), will Remington honor any kind of warranty work through Wild West, or will it be my dime? I also wonder how many dimes might I need to bring??? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Have you really cleaned the chamber?

If the first couple box's had no problem, then you started having issues. It sounds like you fouled your chamber.

Having to remove the barrel and pry the casing out, sounds like an extremely dirty chamber.

Were any of your shells dirty, could they have transfered any sticky substance into the chamber?

What methods are you using to clean the barrel and chamber? Do you use an oversized chamber brush, or just swap the barrel?

You said you bought a 3' chamber, was your chamber originally a 3' or a 2 3/4?

I've on several occasions run into barrels on shotguns with tight chambers that do exactly what you describe. Of course, as previously mentioned, dirt, rust or fouling will also cause sticky extraction. Oftentimes a chamber reamer will take out substantial amounts of material and cure this problem. Also the rim of the cartridge, directly behind its seat, after firing, can hang up on the barrel extension , which is a separate piece screwed onto the barrel during manufacture. Take the barrel off and carefully examine how the hull comes out of the chamber and where it might be hanging up. It may be hitting the extension on the way out. That'll bring it to a screeching halt. Good luck!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I mis spoke, the barrel extension on an 870 is not a separate piece, but is integral with the barrel.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Bring it in its under warranty from remington or from me