Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't lie about resident status.

Default Don't lie about resident status.

We have been contacted more than once this winter by ADF&G and state troopers about people that purchased Resident Fishing licenses in our store, that are suspected of not being residents of Alaska.
    Over the years, we have had an occasional call from ADF&G about sending in our copy of the Fishing permit, but this year its way more than usual.
    With the technology availble and the states communicating to one anouther about such things as resident status, it just is not worth it to attempt to purchase a Alaska Resident fishing or hunting permit if you really don't meet the qualifications..
    Its not the job of the vendor to be the police and do checks on whether the person is a resident or not, and no Drivers license etc. is required to purchase a license.. ( its not against the law to Not have a drivers license). so that is not enforceable to expect someone to produce proof of residency.. A few years ago the state tried to enforce that you had to either have a state ID or a drivers license number on the license or you would not get a license, but that was confronted with the legality of doing that, as I stated,, its not against the law to not have an ID or a drivers license.. in fact its against the law to force someone to have an ID..
    Its done by your word only.. you can put down any address you want, you can put down any name you want, you can put down what ever you want on that license,, its your butt on the line if it is not the truth,, becaue at the bottom of the license,you sign your name, and pledge that the information is correct..
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Legal residency is looked at differently depending on who you talk to also. I have talked to Troopers about this. In the regs that come out every year it states you must be a resident for 12 months, meaning if I got here in January then 12 months would be that December. I have seen people get in trouble for that. I guess the actual reg, and I have not personally seen it, states 365 days which is a bit different than 12 months.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

If you start counting in January and stop counting in December, you've only been here 11 months. In other words, you have to be here for the complete 12 months, not 11 months and 1 day. If you arrive on January 27, 2009, then you'll be a resident on January 27, 2010. This isn't difficult math.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

dont lie to get the cheap hunt fish license for 5$ either.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    We have been contacted more than once this winter by ADF&G and state troopers about people that purchased Resident Fishing licenses in our store, that are suspected of not being residents of Alaska.
    Over the years, we have had an occasional call from ADF&G about sending in our copy of the Fishing permit, but this year its way more than usual.
    With the technology availble and the states communicating to one anouther about such things as resident status, it just is not worth it to attempt to purchase a Alaska Resident fishing or hunting permit if you really don't meet the qualifications..
    Its not the job of the vendor to be the police and do checks on whether the person is a resident or not, and no Drivers license etc. is required to purchase a license.. ( its not against the law to Not have a drivers license). so that is not enforceable to expect someone to produce proof of residency.. A few years ago the state tried to enforce that you had to either have a state ID or a drivers license number on the license or you would not get a license, but that was confronted with the legality of doing that, as I stated,, its not against the law to not have an ID or a drivers license.. in fact its against the law to force someone to have an ID..
    Its done by your word only.. you can put down any address you want, you can put down any name you want, you can put down what ever you want on that license,, its your butt on the line if it is not the truth,, becaue at the bottom of the license,you sign your name, and pledge that the information is correct..

Yes I do, then I fork over $145!!!!!!!!

Actually, having a drivers license or state ID is not proof of residency. You can get either as soon as you move up here.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

When did it stop being state law for anyone over 18 to not have an D.L. or I.D.. In 95 we still got people for it

Default ID or Drivers license

Actually, having a drivers license or state ID is not proof of residency. You can get either as soon as you move up here.
    You are correct. My point was not that a drivers license or ID would help to determine residency, it can be used as a document to help prove that you are who you say you are..
    Try to get on an airplane without ID or Drivers license. ( Unless a child)
    My point is that buying a Fishing or Hunting license in the state of Alaska does not require any form of Proof of who you are,,
    So you can just have written anything you want on the license..
    You could put down your name as Mickey or Minnie Mouse from the planet corn ball, or from Norvik Alaska.. Its an on your honor type of thing..
    Now in the field or fishing water, you may have some convincing to do with the officer checking your license.. he is a sworn agent of the state or federal Government and can ask for more proof of who you really are, and even hold you until he is convinced you are who you say you are..
    in that event it may be worth your time to pull your drivers license out or legitmate ID.
    Folks selling licenses do not have that responsibility to check to see that you are who you say you are..
    Now I find it very common that folks will present me without any prompting .. their drivers license when I fill out the license information.
    when they do, I put the information in the space provided for that and so it would help field officers or those auditing the licenses with some valuable information to confirm the persons true identity..
    Mr. or Mrs. Mickey Mouse..

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Actually, having a drivers license or state ID is not proof of residency. You can get either as soon as you move up here. Amigo Will, the last time I checked the law is the same... ...
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I have also noticed a recent uptick in investigating residency claims on hunting and fishing licenses. The few bucks a person may save by making a false statement are not worth the risk.

Anytime I have applied for a class 5 license I have been asked for ID. They also document my DL number on the license. Maybe its just something that the girls at Millers Market do, Walmart, Freddies and Carrs......

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Actually, having a drivers license or state ID is not proof of residency. You can get either as soon as you move up here. Amigo Will, the last time I checked the law is the same... ...
    I never realized there was a regulation forcing people to have identification. Where can I find that Huntress? I have always had one so just a bit curious about it.

I have also always been asked for a form of ID when getting a hunting or fishing license which I never understood since you can get one the day you step into Alaska. When it comes down to it it is a bit hard to prove you have been in Alaska for 365 days.

Default No ID required

here is the link to the ADF&G site and online permit purchasing application.
    the difference between the ones you get at locations like mine, ( Vendor ) is that there is a space for drivers license number, but,,, In our vendor packet it explains that the drivers license or ID is not required, as there is no law that says you have to have ID,,, , the online license as stated ,, does not even have a space for it.

http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/ad...nse/11-527.pdf

My guess is that most people filling out the applications do not read the entire Vendor responsibility packet sent each year, and when they fill out the license for you at the counter, they fill every space as requested.. It just makes it easier to verify if they can produce an legitmate ID.

Max

bronc,

Don't pick on me! I was just seconding what Amigo said. I was under the impression that it was mandatory to be able to produce some sort of ID if and when asked to produce it if you were over the age of 18.....

As it is, its almost 11 and Im not able to call the friends I do know that could give me the AS or AAC if there was one.

I think the only reason some places ask for id is because its easier to copy down the info than to understand the guy talking to you.

All the various residency requirements are available online at http://www.alaska.gov/ Go to the appropriate agency (ADF&G, DMV, PFD, etc.) and read it first hand. It gets easier and easier to catch falsified residency claims and I'm all for them using the tools available. Might as well get the easy ones first.

Default Real ID federal money

Federal Government is using money or the lack there of to promote the REAL ID, program nationwide..it was first introduced in 2005 and is expecting each stated DMV to be up to snuff on doing it correctly to the federal standards,,, listen to some of the requirements..
    ALL DMV employees must go thru Federal Screening, Fingerprinted, Backgound checks, etc. before the state would be given funding.
    The state of Alaska estimated it would cost a few million dollars for us to get up and running to meet the Federal Standards..

Governor Parnell has this sitting on his desk, dated this January 2010
    http://doa.alaska.gov/white_papers/REAL_ID_012510.pdf

"REAL ID" is anouther step in getting information and interfacing it Nation wide. Passports are not required of all persons, so if the feds can get the "REAL ID" thru, this will make it much easier to be in your life.. this Is being pushed to all states and if the individual states make it law, then that state has more federal funds allocated...

Money is such an incentive , the state of Alaska Legislature determined that No money either state or federal be used on the REAL ID program, very cool so far,, .... Someone cares about the cost of personel liberty.

Can you say.... NATIONAL ID CARD.....

INVASION OF PRIVACY LAWS....
    Every day we lose a little bit more..
    reminds me of those old world war II movies where the vehicle pulls up to the SS check station... Shultz comes out of the little check station house and asked... ..." Your Papers "...

I used to think,,, man we have it made,,we live in a place where no-one does that to everyone in the vehicle... Machine guns pointed,, everyone a suspect....
    but Alas.... I think I will live to see it soon enough on our own soil..

Max

Not to be rude, but can we combine the two threads started by Alaskacanoe on the same subject to save server space and educate everyone in the process with all the responses posted? Thanks.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Not to be rude, but can we combine the two threads started by Alaskacanoe on the same subject to save server space and educate everyone in the process with all the responses posted? Thanks.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    bronc,

Don't pick on me! I was just seconding what Amigo said. I was under the impression that it was mandatory to be able to produce some sort of ID if and when asked to produce it if you were over the age of 18.....

As it is, its almost 11 and Im not able to call the friends I do know that could give me the AS or AAC if there was one.
    I wasn't picking on just thought you might have the references handy or know what direction to point me. I am getting pretty proficent at searching things out on the net but AS's & AAC's are my downfall.

Kinda like using the search function on ADF&G's website, I normally have better luck using Google!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

As a new AK resident, can someone point me to info on how to prove your residency? I arrived in town 7/12/09, and only left to fly down and drive my family up after my new job had been finalized a couple months later. I think I got my drivers license about a month later, but didn't rent a place until the day before flying out to pick up my family. i actually had a job about 3 weeks into my stay. Point is, I'm not sure what "event" would qualify (or possibly delay) me for starting the clock. I don't want to break the law, but I don't have any idea which they will be looking at.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast